• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bolder

Out on the slopes
Skier
^^Don't I know it! At least it's cold enough now to make snow in the Dolomites...still 7 weeks till we're off to Val G, just want a 5-10 cm dusting to cover up the brown fields and rocks...on the downside for Eastern Europe, the Danube can be very dangerous when it floods -- would not want to live in a low lying area this spring.

TS
Jacob

Jacob

Out on the slopes
Skier
@Jacob and any other Anton Aficionados...

Any dining recommendations? I'll be in St Anton in ~3 weeks. PM me if you don't want to disclose to the world

We are staying within walking distance of the Nassereinbahn.

Interested to hear about on-mountain dining (lunch) as well as good evening spots. Planning on hitting Lech, Zurs, Stuben also... not sure we will make it to Warth.

There are plenty of good places in town for dinner, but you'll have to walk a ways if you're over by the Nasserein lift (where I am now). The town is pretty flat, so the walk is easy.

On the way into town, there's a nice little place that does traditional Austrian food for decent prices. It'll be on the left side of the road as you're heading towards the church.

If you want to see a bunch of Brits, Scotty's Bar makes surprizingly good pizzas and pasta while serving drinks to a bunch of Brits. If you want Italian without the bar atmosphere, Pomodoro is good. If you want to splash some cash, you can easily see where to do it.

For lunch, the cafeteria in Rendl is good, but try to get there by 11:30 or so. In Stuben, some hotels in the village serve lunch in their restaurants. In Zurs, there's a mid-mountain restaurant with some good views.

All in all, there are plenty of good places. Just try to get there early if you're eating at any of the mid-mountain restaurants.

TS
Jacob

Jacob

Out on the slopes
Skier
Well, can you plan a trip to Chamonix and Verbier end of Feb??

Can't help you out there. My brother's trying to talk me into going to Japan the first week of March.

But if you guys want to arrange a gathering next season, I'll be happy to bring the snow.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
Can't help you out there. My brother's trying to talk me into going to Japan the first week of March.

But if you guys want to arrange a gathering next season, I'll be happy to bring the snow.
Japan eh? Meh...flat! Just kidding...
What do you hear about Western Switzerland, Cham Valley, Courmayeur for snow?

Ptrqc

Booting up
Skier
@Jacob and any other Anton Aficionados...

Any dining recommendations? I'll be in St Anton in ~3 weeks. PM me if you don't want to disclose to the world :)

We are staying within walking distance of the Nassereinbahn.

Interested to hear about on-mountain dining (lunch) as well as good evening spots. Planning on hitting Lech, Zurs, Stuben also... not sure we will make it to Warth.

Certainly check out the following:
- Seekopf restaurant in Zurs (top of Seekopf bahn)
- Balmalp restaurant on top of Zugerbergbahn (Lech)
- food in Arlberger bergbahnen restaurants is great and you typically have a wide variety (from soups, salad bar over pasta to full-on Schnitzel)
- typical Austrian fare: check out Kirchplatzl in Pettneu or Fuhrmansstube in St-Anton
- for pastries, Strudel go to Hannes Schneider Kaffee
- excellent restaurant in center of St-Anton is Aquila.

TS
Jacob

Jacob

Out on the slopes
Skier

I've only seen local forecasts since I've been in St Anton, so I'm not sure what's going on elsewhere at the moment.

TS
Jacob

Jacob

Out on the slopes
Skier
@Seldomski the Austrian restaurant I was thinking of in St Anton is called Fuhrman Stube, and it's just after the church if you're heading to town from Nasserein.

Last edited:

AlpsSkidad

Buying more gear
Skier
@James , bergfex is probably the best weather app for Austria and Switzerland ski weather and snow conditions.

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
new to the forums, really appreciating the spirit here, helpful, friendly knowledge and enthusiasm sharing, what a breath of fresh air compared to most of the rest of the 'net

Innsbruck, Feb 14-19, staying in town and ski busing to the main Olympiaworld resorts. I'll spin up a new thread as I want to pick the collective brain of this awesome place (all y'all) who've been there, done that.

Edit for new thread please drop your knowledge! Love to get a new place pre-wired before I arrive: https://www.pugski.com/threads/innsbruck-mid-feb-input.13372/

Last edited:

AlpsSkidad

Buying more gear
Skier
Thanks. Here's what the standard app shows for today. Is the Pro version better for the mountains?
View attachment 62502

@ james the standard version is fine and you can just search for your favorite resorts, it will give you the accurate forecast and snow totals including at the base and top of mountains (if reported). My kid's Austrian ski coaches just use the standard one as well.

Ulmerhutte

Getting on the lift
Skier
St Anton, and the Arlberg, are getting hammered. As of this morning, Stuben, Lech, and Zürs were cut off from the outside world. The women’s FIS DH and GS races have been cancelled - it simply was not possible to maintain the courses under the current conditions. Most of the upper lifts and pistes are closed.

Emergency powers have been invoked to minimise risk: https://www.intra-stanton.com/help

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
Hopeful everyone is doing OK and simultaneously feeling giddy (and a little guilty for it!) about the potential conditions in a month. Do I understand correctly there is less or very little active avalanche mitigation in the Alps like we do here in the western states?

James

Out There
Instructor
Do I understand correctly there is less or very little active avalanche mitigation in the Alps like we do here in the western states?
Yes, generally true. The Alps are different in that there are towns in the mountains. I can't think of any place in the US like that. So, there are structures to hold snow and mitigation for that.
The other big difference is "in bounds" in the US - pretty much everything is controlled. There that would be a huge area, like an entire county. It's not done. My understanding, and it's limited, is mitigation is done where it affects pistes or structures. Possibly some on "Itinerary routes." -Don't know about Austria, but in Switz these are standard routes that are not pistes. Often, always? -don't know, they have access points/gates which can be closed. There may be some mitigation. It's still unclear to me if it's technically offpiste, I assume it is.
"Off piste" is just over the pole line. You could be 1 foot over.
Get the insurance with the lift ticket. Even on piste patrol will cost you for services. But people who know Austria can comment. Europeans are generally less concerned about ticket insurance it seems. Maybe because of their healthcare? Don't know. Trip insurance isn't a bad idea. I know someone whose helicopter to the hosp after breaking leg skiing in Zermatt (no cars) was covered by that. They use choppers all the time, (in Europe), due to scale and access difficulty.

TS
Jacob

Jacob

Out on the slopes
Skier
@James hit most of the main points. One thing to add is that going off the marked trails means you probably won't have any barriers or markers to warn you of natural hazards. So, you need to scope out your line from below to make sure it's safe.

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
@James hit most of the main points. One thing to add is that going off the marked trails means you probably won't have any barriers or markers to warn you of natural hazards. So, you need to scope out your line from below to make sure it's safe.

Unless it's very obviously safe and clear lines visible, we're not going off piste without a guide!

Sponsor

Staff online