• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

International (Europe/Japan/Southern Hemisphere) Europe 2019/2020: Who, when, where?

Jacob

Out on the slopes
Skier
New thread for next season.

Who's going where? Who has questions about anything Euro related? Who wants to post photos from a recent trip?

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
My all-time favorite lift shack, Engleberg
143_0794.JPG

Display of some ski history at the Stockli Test Center in Engleberg
143_0787.JPG 143_0788.JPG
View from the restaurant deck at the "small" ski area of Flumserberg
143_0723.JPG

Attachments

• 143_0789.JPG
    143_0789.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 2

DanishRider

Getting off the lift
Skier
6C2C2A6B-6F84-466B-BA31-F77B0E6341F7.jpeg 8BC10819-46D4-4A43-80A9-6363F8505B95.jpeg 83D6A580-8AB4-46FB-BB44-8D90A4DF070F.jpeg 97302D40-560D-4350-A2BE-27DDE7E8B634.jpeg 8BC10819-46D4-4A43-80A9-6363F8505B95.jpeg New years in Ischgl, and Val D’isere for Easter for now. Have a few trips to Innsbruck this winter, so i gues three weeks in Tirol - that is what i have planned for now, but i am sure more will be fitted in later :)

A few pictures to get the stoke going - area-guesses welcome - two different areas, One in France, and one in Austria. The French one should be easy:) Winter are coming!

Attachments

• FEEE844C-01A0-4D19-B3F8-5A7F0370F09C.jpeg
    FEEE844C-01A0-4D19-B3F8-5A7F0370F09C.jpeg
    120.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
I'll be in STubai and Sölden for demos in November; Valloire (FR) for Christmas; Canazei (IT, Dolomites) Jan 25-Feb 1st. After that, it remains unplanned, destination-wise at least. Will be following good snow.

TS
Jacob

Jacob

Out on the slopes
Skier
Here's one of my favorite photos from a ski trip. Taken on my way back from the lifts at the end of the day in Les Diablerets.

000_0006.JPG

So far, I don't have any set plans. I'll probably go to Val d'Isere or Tignes in early December and thinking about St. Anton or Arosa for January. Still waiting to hear from my brother and mother before making plans for February or March.

TS
Jacob

Jacob

Out on the slopes
Skier
Oh yeah, I forgot about this pic. Looking through the glass on the Flexenbahn (linking Stuben and Zurs in the Arlberg area).

CAM00031.jpg

I was there about a month after the lift opened, which is why the glass was clear enough to take a decent photo. I'm sure by now it's all scuffed up from people's skis.

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
Valloire is a secret gem :)
Never been. But from what I can tell from images, maps etc. it could very well become my go-to freeride and back country base in France, avoiding the bigger resorts. It combines quite well with the smaller family resorts in the Maurienne Valley (La Norma, Valfreju, Val Cenis, Aussois, Bonneval etc.), which tend to remain untouched for days after a dump... I LIKE
And: there they have a Eskimo Pass, which allows access to all those places (except Valloire) for very reasonable prices.

DanishRider

Getting off the lift
Skier
Never been. But from what I can tell from images, maps etc. it could very well become my go-to freeride and back country base in France, avoiding the bigger resorts. It combines quite well with the smaller family resorts in the Maurienne Valley (La Norma, Valfreju, Val Cenis, Aussois, Bonneval etc.), which tend to remain untouched for days after a dump... I LIKE
And: there they have a Eskimo Pass, which allows access to all those places (except Valloire) for very reasonable prices.
Agree - Maurienne is my goto place in France - so many places not yet destroyed by foreign tourism (like myself) yet - Les sybelles also a good option, but freeride better in Valloire. Guides are cheaper too, so you get the gems with local knowledge. Learned freeride in Valloire some 20 years ago, from a junior mogul World champion turned guide in Valloire:)

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Car rental -- I'm seeing some reasonable prices out of ZRH and have a couple of Qs.
Is an international license needed or can I rent with my Japan license?
Do all rentals in winter come with snow tires? If not, what options are available?
Any red tape or other bothersome stuff for border crossings, especially between Switzerland/Austria? I've heard you need a special sticker for Austrian highways.
Any other advisories, advice, suggestions, etc most welcome.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Any other advisories, advice, suggestions, etc most welcome.

My biggest advice would be -- the trains there are absolutely fantastic. I felt no desire to have a car in the two weeks I spent skiing there this spring. Unless you're going someplace you really need a car, it can be a hassle with parking, gas/tools, sketchy mountain passes. Meanwhile you don't have to think about any of that on a train, and every train I was on was well-equipped to handle skier traffic.

Besides E-burg where are you headed? If you spend anytime in the Andermatt-Sedrun-Disentis complex just to the south, I've got lodging recommendation owned by the friendliest dude (and very good skier) you'll ever meet.

In Engleberg:

- Ski lodge is where all the hip freeskiers from Nordic countries hang out for après. Good people watching.
- OKAY ski shop right by the train station is super friendly if you need anything.
- If you're touring, hiring a guide for the "circle route" around the Titlis is pretty rad day tour. Pretty sure it requires one rap though (we did the last 2/3rds of it touring in from the south.)
- The high-speed double chair is something else and fun for pounding out cruisy groomer laps.

EDIT: OOPS -- NM. See that you went there this year. We must've just missed each other. Your favorite lift shack is my favorite as well!

Last edited:

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just came back from Slovenia and have family from Montenegro. Those mountains are incredibly steep and beautiful. I'm told the skiing in Slovenia is so-so because most of the mountain areas are in National Parks that don't allow development, which is good. But I've also been told that the mountains in Montenegro are even more dramatic and steep and that the skiing there is really good, especially in Zabljak.

Anyone been or know what it's like?

Lofcaudio

Getting off the lift
Skier
Question about the Italian Dolomites, as I'm hoping to take my wife there in the next couple of seasons.

Is there one spot which is better than others or are they all pretty similar (Val Gardena, Arabba, Alta Badia, Cortina, etc.)? Cortina has always intrigued me as I've heard that it feels "Italian" (as opposed to German) and is perhaps a little more posh overall (something I think my wife would enjoy).

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
Val Gardena and Alta Badia have a bit more Austria-feel to them. Cortina and Moena are more Italian in that sense.

But you should really pick a spot from where you can ski te type of resort you want to ski. You can't do it all. The place is just too big. If you stay in Cortina, for instance, the Sella Ronda is doable, but you will miss out on the best groomers of Val Gardena (such as the Saslungo Worldcup run). And the other way around.

SO the question is: what are you after? Efficient skiing (lots of opportunities with minimal daily travel), or the Italian Experience in the Dolomites (of which skiing is definately a part, but not as important as sunglasses, cars, food and wine)?

Lofcaudio

Getting off the lift
Skier
You can't do it all. The place is just too big. If you stay in Cortina, for instance, the Sella Ronda is doable, but you will miss out on the best groomers of Val Gardena (such as the Saslungo Worldcup run). And the other way around.

I know I love Olympic Downhill runs, so I'm guessing I would love the Saslungo. The Marmolada Glacier looks cool, too.

Efficient skiing (lots of opportunities with minimal daily travel), or the Italian Experience in the Dolomites (of which skiing is definately a part, but not as important as sunglasses, cars, food and wine)?

I want the efficient skiing AND the Italian Experience (not interested in the cars and sunglasses, though).

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
Can I then suggest Canazei? On the Sella Ronda, you can easily ski to Val Gardena or to the Marmolada (though perhaps not on the same day). Or you take a short bus ride south and you find the resorts of Alpe Lusia, Passo San Pellegrino, and Latemar which I love most in the Dolomites.

sbooker

Getting on the lift
Skier
Question about the Italian Dolomites, as I'm hoping to take my wife there in the next couple of seasons.

Is there one spot which is better than others or are they all pretty similar (Val Gardena, Arabba, Alta Badia, Cortina, etc.)? Cortina has always intrigued me as I've heard that it feels "Italian" (as opposed to German) and is perhaps a little more posh overall (something I think my wife would enjoy).

I stayed in Arabba earlier this year. It has more challenging skiing than the other areas (and has the Marmolada Glacier nearby). Most of the slopes locally are north facing. But it is quieter of an evening. That combination is perfect in my view.
I can recommend Hotel Portavescovo.
https://portavescovo.it/en
The half board option is terrific.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Thanks @jmeb
Yes, I've mainly train'd it on my own, but this winter it may be with my wife which means triple the baggage -- probably PITA factor too high for multiple moves (want to hit at least two areas, and we'd also be doing at few days in Vienna during the trip).
I'll definitely hit you up for that Andermatt-to-Disentis contact if I go on my own. As a couple, I'm looking at Davos and the Zurs/Lech/Warth circus, maybe Flims/Laax also.
I loved Engleberg, stayed at Hotel Crystal (great restaurant) and think wife would like it also, and maybe get her on a pair of Stormrider Motions from the test center. That lift shack is amazing, never seen anything even close to that cool.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid