• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

International (Europe/Japan/Southern Hemisphere) Europe 2019/2020: Who, when, where?

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes. We have 2 double bags and when I travel alone, I pack all my clothes in there as well. It's been no problem on US flights. Lufthansa is the first airline that has given me a problem.

From the Lufthansa Site.

Winter Sports Equipment:
  • 1 item of baggage with one pair of skis OR one snowboard
    1 item of baggage with one pair of ski poles and one pair of ski OR snowboard boots
    1 helmet
  • Maximum number of baggage items: 2
  • Dimension (length only): 200 cm
Information about carriage:
In addition to your free baggage allowance, you may carry one set of skiing equipment free of charge on your Lufthansa flight with the exception of flights to/from the USA, Mexico and Central America (Belize, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua and Panama). You will be charged the price stated above for any additional skiing equipment.

On the Economy Class Light fare, free transport of skiing equipment instead of a booked item of baggage or in addition to a booked item of baggage is not included and the above-listed charges will apply.

The weight of skiing equipment must be within the weight restrictions for the respective travel class.

It appears that they changed their policy regarding flights to or from the US.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Don't think so - you're just not finding the part where it says you can take a ski bag as your free baggage allowance on flights to/from US. At least you could last year.

Ring them and tell them you'd like to sub your hold bag with a ski bag and that you understand its not a problem. They are usually pretty helpful and will note it on your booking.

Last edited:

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I will give it a whirl for sure. I did discover various threads online about a change of rules in mid 2019 ... so maybe this is a new thing.

Bolder

Out on the slopes
Skier
No one from the US ever believes me, but you really should just rent skis here. My brother is a very fussy skier, and he's always been able to find high-performance all-mountain skis, even if he had to swap out a pair or two, for 150 euros a week or less. But you go right ahead and pay those baggage fees and schlep your coffin bags around...

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
No one from the US ever believes me, but you really should just rent skis here. My brother is a very fussy skier, and he's always been able to find high-performance all-mountain skis, even if he had to swap out a pair or two, for 150 euros a week or less. But you go right ahead and pay those baggage fees and schlep your coffin bags around...

We definitely considered that (and still are). It will be slightly cheaper to ship our own skis than to rent for 2 weeks, and it will be considerably less hassle. I have been looking and it is much harder to find a good high performance ski in shorter lengths for me than it would be for Bob.

James

Out There
Instructor
Everytime I bring skis I wished I rented. There's at least one point everytime I rent I wished I brought them despite the hassle and cost. Usually due to an atrocious rental. They are much cheaper than the US though. Switzerland is more like $250/week w/poles.

Are we takling ski weeks here (sat to sat) or normal weeks (monday to sunday)? ;-)
They usually make the tires mon-fri. However, I believe the week code would be mon-sun to cover weekend shifts and coincide with the calendar.

DanishRider

Getting off the lift
Skier
I'm asking how people typically use it. If I said to you or someone that uses week numbers "I'm skiing in Val Thorens in week 6", what dates would I mean?
Saturday February 1 to saturday February 8 would be week 6. Sat to sat because that is usually how they rent out rooms and apartments :) hope it makes sense, despite the fact that sat feb 1 is actually week 5 :)

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Saturday February 1 to saturday February 8 would be week 6. Sat to sat because that is usually how they rent out rooms and apartments :) hope it makes sense, despite the fact that sat feb 1 is actually week 5 :)

Makes perfect sense. So week 1 2020 actually starts on Saturday, December 28th, 2019, and they all go Saturday to Saturday so overlap slightly.

I kind of like that... it's a bit easier than saying "the week of Feb 1st" or "the week starting Feb. 1st"... but it requires everyone to adopt it and get used to it. And since our vacations are not nearly as regimented at a week in length, that might be tough.

DanishRider

Getting off the lift
Skier
Makes perfect sense. So week 1 2020 actually starts on Saturday, December 28th, 2019, and they all go Saturday to Saturday so overlap slightly.

I kind of like that... it's a bit easier than saying "the week of Feb 1st" or "the week starting Feb. 1st"... but it requires everyone to adopt it and get used to it. And since our vacations are not nearly as regimented at a week in length, that might be tough.
That is the system right there :) It might be easier to get the US to adobt the metric system than this ;-)

Bolder

Out on the slopes
Skier
We definitely considered that (and still are). It will be slightly cheaper to ship our own skis than to rent for 2 weeks, and it will be considerably less hassle. I have been looking and it is much harder to find a good high performance ski in shorter lengths for me than it would be for Bob.

I understand in that situation.

One thing we've found is that the ski techs in rental shops are pretty knowledgeable about what they've got in stock, because most of them are pretty hardcore skiers themselves, so if you talked to them when the shop isn't busy they can probably find something in a shorter length. They've always been happy to chat with my brother and show him half a dozen pairs. As I said, he's fussy, but I think they appreciate it after kitting out beginners and kids.

TS
Jacob

Jacob

Out on the slopes
Skier
I understand in that situation.

One thing we've found is that the ski techs in rental shops are pretty knowledgeable about what they've got in stock, because most of them are pretty hardcore skiers themselves, so if you talked to them when the shop isn't busy they can probably find something in a shorter length. They've always been happy to chat with my brother and show him half a dozen pairs. As I said, he's fussy, but I think they appreciate it after kitting out beginners and kids.

Also, it's worth reminding people that, because most resorts are proper towns or villages, there are usually several ski shops to choose from within easy walking distance of each other. So if one shop doesn't have what you're looking for, then you just walk a few doors down to the next shop. And if that doesn't have what you want, you just go across the street to another shop.

RJS

Out on the slopes
Skier
I just finished a hiking trip in the Dolomites, and wanted to share some early stoke for the 2019-2020 season:

It was raining on and off this Wednesday at Rifugio Lagazuoi, and then in the evening the rain turned into snow! Rifugio Lagazuoi is situated at 2,752 meters (just over 9,000 feet). Just a few centimeters accumulated, but I was extremely happy to experience my first snowfall in months.

The temperature didn't go above freezing during the night, so the snow lasted until the next morning. Here are a couple of pictures that I took on my phone on Thursday morning:

The Dolomites are some of the most beautiful mountains that I've ever seen. Absolutely incredible. I would love to come back here, both in the summer/fall again and in the winter. I wish that I could have come in a couple of weeks when the larch trees are getting colorful.

Choucas

Getting off the lift
Skier
Nice. Headed to the Dolomites in January. Can’t wait. My favorite place to ski. Re: Renting vs. bringing your own. It will cost me $100 each way to bring skis on Delta/KLM. It’s about 20 Euros more to rent premium skis for 6 days. Think I’ll rent. I tried rental skis in Corvara last year and they were fine. I’m very picky about my gear and tune. No worries with renting. I’m going to Switzerland in March for 2 weeks of touring & piste skiing in the Prattagau and Engadine. Flying on Swiss, I’ll bring my own skis.

TS
Jacob

Jacob

Out on the slopes
Skier
I've finally started booking things. I'll be in Tignes December 7-15 (skiing 6-14).

Now on to decision making for January.

TS
Jacob

Jacob

Out on the slopes
Skier
Well, it's absolutely dumping down in Tignes/Val d'Isere today. It started last night and hasn't let up. Combined with strong winds higher up, it caused resort officials to shut all lifts the entire day.

I had a couple of good powder days this week, so it's sad to end on a wash out. Now, I'm just hoping the mountain passes stay open tomorrow so that I can get back to the airport.

Sponsor

Staff online