• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

International (Europe/Japan/Southern Hemisphere) Europe 2019/2020: Who, when, where?

James

Out There
Instructor
There's always that insane gourmet refugio trip in the Dolomites that @karlo posted.

TS
Jacob

Jacob

Out on the slopes
Skier
So, if the first 2 weeks of March is the plan, what resorts would you recommend? I'm not a big fan of low vis when I'm in an unfamiliar place.

I'm not as familiar with the French resorts, so I'll need the others to chime in. I've skied in Val d'Isere and Tignes a lot, but that's it. Both of those are quite high up, although Val d'Isere has about 600 ft or so of vertical below tree line. Tignes les Brevieres is the lowest part of the area, but you have to ski a fair distance above tree line to get there.

In general, for that time of year you want a place that has a lot of terrain above 2000 m but with a base level down around 1600-1800 m. Glaciers tend to be up around 3000 m. Most trail maps have elevations marked for different parts of the area, so that helps when evaluating the terrain on offer.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
So we decided to do the the Club Med thing. It has the advantage of being all inclusive which means I won’t have to think. Flight and ground transportation is included. We are going to Val Thorens the first week of March and to Cervinia the second week of March. It includes lessons which, if nothing else, will provide some guided time. If the instruction is really excellent, all the better. Val Thorens was a bit more expensive, but it's Ski in/ski out. Cervinia was all inclusive from LA for only $2600/person. I looked around at hotels and Airbnb and I couldn’t do it any cheaper than that. It includes everything but ski rentals, but we want to bring our owns skis anyway. For me (the one in charge of planning)... I am thrilled that I don’t have to figure out the logistics!

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
So we decided to do the the Club Med thing. It has the advantage of being all inclusive which means I won’t have to think. Flight and ground transportation is included. We are going to Val Thorens the first week of March and to Cervinia the second week of March. It includes lessons which, if nothing else, will provide some guided time. If the instruction is really excellent, all the better. Val Thorens was a bit more expensive, but it's Ski in/ski out. Cervinia was all inclusive from LA for only $2600/person. I looked around at hotels and Airbnb and I couldn’t do it any cheaper than that. It includes everything but ski rentals, but we want to bring our owns skis anyway. For me (the one in charge of planning)... I am thrilled that I don’t have to figure out the logistics!
A couple of my friends did Club Med Valmorel a couple of years ago and loved it. Hopefully you will too!

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive

Lucky you. I could not convince my daughter. So, no EU trip this time. She has fond memories of all the times our family has been at Telluride and wants to return. So, that in itself is gratifying, her having fond memories that is.

Of course, the solution is do both! :) But, she only gets the one week in March. :(

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Question for my European friends. I am debating renting skis instead of bringing my own. Swiss Air charges quite a bit to transport skis so renting might be a more cost effective and easier plan. I usually ski in California and mostly travel to Western resorts. I ski between a 90 and 98 waisted ski.
I am looking at European rentals - would you recommend something with a 70's waist or would something mid 80's be okay? I will stay mostly on groomers, but may venture off piste a bit if my ski class wants to go.

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
Question for my European friends. I am debating renting skis instead of bringing my own. Swiss Air charges quite a bit to transport skis so renting might be a more cost effective and easier plan. I usually ski in California and mostly travel to Western resorts. I ski between a 90 and 98 waisted ski.
I am looking at European rentals - would you recommend something with a 70's waist or would something mid 80's be okay? I will stay mostly on groomers, but may venture off piste a bit if my ski class wants to go.
Mid fat will be fine. In Val Thorens there is so much terrain between the groomed runs... If there is any percipitation, it's snow. A 80 or 90 something would be great. Same goes for Cervinia, although of-piste is a bit more off-off-piste. So you'll be more on the groomers I think. 80 or so is stiil fine.

If I could bring only one pair pf my skis in March to either Val Thorens or Cervinia, I would bring my Völkl Kendos

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
I'm just surprised to hear that Swiss Air charges for skis (from N.Am)
I've flown Tokyo-Zurich return three times on Swiss since 2013 and not been charged anything for my skis.

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm just surprised to hear that Swiss Air charges for skis (from N.Am)
I've flown Tokyo-Zurich return three times on Swiss since 2013 and not been charged anything for my skis.
I intend to call to clarify but their website shows it being $287 one way for a ski bag with a single pair of skis and poles. They count the ski bag and boot bag as one item which is useless IMHO since I will not check the boots. I am hoping there is an exception for ski flights booked through Club Med or that, at least, they will accept a double ski bag with both our skis if it's under 40lbs or whatever it is. If so, then we'll take our own. Otherwise I'll book ski hires. I found a couple of shops that look good.

Choucas

Getting off the lift
Skier
I flew Swiss from Boston to Zurich last year. No charge for ski bag. Maybe this has changed?

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I hope not. I will let you all know as soon as I talk to them. When I google it, the airline info says it's free but when I go to their baggage charge page, it say $287.

Last edited:

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
You have to be careful with some of these flights. Is it really Swiss Air all the way, or does a partner operate some leg of the flight? Sometimes the partners have different baggage policies.

I know we got hit with unexpected charges on our return flight from Italy. The flight out of Venice was on a partner with different size limits on carry ons. We were forced to check our carry on in Venice. We did not have that problem when leaving the US. It also depends on the gate agent. Some of them will let you through with a marginally too big bag. Some are sticklers.

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Apparently the actual flight is with their partner, Lufthansa, and there is a charge of $287 each way for a single ski bag. That's a boatload of money. It's confusing though because it also says:

"Information about carriage:
In addition to your free baggage allowance, you may carry one set of skiing equipment free of charge on your Lufthansa flight with the exception of flights to/from the USA, Mexico and Central America (Belize, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua and Panama). You will be charged the price stated above for any additional skiing equipment.

On the Economy Class Light fare, free transport of skiing equipment instead of a booked item of baggage or in addition to a booked item of baggage is not included and the above-listed charges will apply.

The weight of skiing equipment must be within the weight restrictions for the respective travel class."

I am guessing the charge is because I am flying from the USA? We'll be renting skis for sure. We're just going to keep a positive attitude and look at it as a great way to travel light and try out some new skis.

Last edited:

Choucas

Getting off the lift
Skier
Non-stop Boston to Zurich no problem. Lufthansa (owner/partner of Swiss) will charge you. I have a credit card that gives me 2 free checked bags on United. No problem on United flights domestic and international. Doesn’t work on United code share flights.

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Live and learn. I'm trying to get ahold of someone at Club Med to see if I can drop the flight portion of my package and, if so, how much they'll take off the cost. If it's enough, I'll just book with Swiss Air. I have found a decent deal on shipping our skis and the door to door delivery option sounds pretty sweet. $480 round trip for a double ski bag sounds a lot better that $1150 round trip for 2 single ski bags. It will be just slightly more than renting and we'll have our own skis.

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
$480 round trip for a double ski bag sounds a lot better that $1150 round trip for 2 single ski bags. It will be just slightly more than renting and we'll have our own skis.
Holy sh*t! Pardon my French.
Note to self: When taking a trip to NA, leave my own skis at home and find a decent rental pair.
Are these baggage fare for skis normal on intercontinental flights?