• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

International (Europe/Japan/Southern Hemisphere) Europe 2019/2020: Who, when, where?

TS
Jacob

Jacob

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks @jmeb
Yes, I've mainly train'd it on my own, but this winter it may be with my wife which means triple the baggage -- probably PITA factor too high for multiple moves (want to hit at least two areas, and we'd also be doing at few days in Vienna during the trip).
I'll definitely hit you up for that Andermatt-to-Disentis contact if I go on my own. As a couple, I'm looking at Davos and the Zurs/Lech/Warth circus, maybe Flims/Laax also.
I loved Engleberg, stayed at Hotel Crystal (great restaurant) and think wife would like it also, and maybe get her on a pair of Stormrider Motions from the test center. That lift shack is amazing, never seen anything even close to that cool.

Take a look at Arosa as a replacement for Davos. Davos is more of a city with ski lifts, whereas Arosa is more of a resort town (both winter and summer). And now that it's linked with Lenzerheide, the combined area has a lot of terrain that's pretty easy to get around.

DanishRider

Getting off the lift
Skier
Car rental -- I'm seeing some reasonable prices out of ZRH and have a couple of Qs.
Is an international license needed or can I rent with my Japan license?
Do all rentals in winter come with snow tires? If not, what options are available?
Any red tape or other bothersome stuff for border crossings, especially between Switzerland/Austria? I've heard you need a special sticker for Austrian highways.
Any other advisories, advice, suggestions, etc most welcome.

Japanese license should be ok. I believe that France and Italy doesn’t require wintertires etc on rentals, but it can be mandatory going up the mountain - order a winter-package from the rental Company. I believe there might be new laws about this from this season, but don’t know what they are :)

Both Austria and the swiss have a Vignette-system.

DanishRider

Getting off the lift
Skier
My biggest advice would be -- the trains there are absolutely fantastic. I felt no desire to have a car in the two weeks I spent skiing there this spring. Unless you're going someplace you really need a car, it can be a hassle with parking, gas/tools, sketchy mountain passes. Meanwhile you don't have to think about any of that on a train, and every train I was on was well-equipped to handle skier traffic.

Besides E-burg where are you headed? If you spend anytime in the Andermatt-Sedrun-Disentis complex just to the south, I've got lodging recommendation owned by the friendliest dude (and very good skier) you'll ever meet.

In Engleberg:

- Ski lodge is where all the hip freeskiers from Nordic countries hang out for après. Good people watching.
- OKAY ski shop right by the train station is super friendly if you need anything.
- If you're touring, hiring a guide for the "circle route" around the Titlis is pretty rad day tour. Pretty sure it requires one rap though (we did the last 2/3rds of it touring in from the south.)
- The high-speed double chair is something else and fun for pounding out cruisy groomer laps.

EDIT: OOPS -- NM. See that you went there this year. We must've just missed each other. Your favorite lift shack is my favorite as well!
Not all from the Nordics are HiPsTeRz ... just saying :ogcool:ogwink

Lofcaudio

Getting off the lift
Skier
I stayed in Arabba earlier this year. It has more challenging skiing than the other areas (and has the Marmolada Glacier nearby). Most of the slopes locally are north facing. But it is quieter of an evening. That combination is perfect in my view.
I can recommend Hotel Portavescovo.
https://portavescovo.it/en
The half board option is terrific.

Thanks for chiming in on my question, especially since we seem to have the same tastes in skiing. Did you ski the Marmolada? (If so, how was it?)

sbooker

Getting on the lift
Skier
A34CDE33-4788-4630-8019-ACCE4754C2F8.jpeg 4E3B71FE-F9C2-43C2-AD8E-EE4E48FD7CCA.jpeg 00685F4D-5F8E-4B44-9001-B95ADC2BC08C.jpeg
Thanks for chiming in on my question, especially since we seem to have the same tastes in skiing. Did you ski the Marmolada? (If so, how was it?)

We certainly did. The skiing itself was great and the World War One museum was fantastic. The museum is at the second station of the three stage cable car. If you don’t already know the Dolomite area was a place where bitter fighting between the Austrians and Italians took place. There are still cannons and the like in the area. See pic above.

The one thing you must understand is the Dolomites don’t generally get a lot of snowfall so choosing that area if you’re counting on a lot of ‘off piste’ skiing would be unwise. Expect miles and miles (and even more mikes) of perfectly groomed interconnected runs with unparalleled scenery and fantastic value on mountain restaurants that serve beautiful food.
There are some runs with some pitch (the World Cup downhill runs as mentioned for example) but most are intermediate grade groomers.

I would highly doubt you will be challenged by the terrain but I would also highly doubt that you won’t love the experience.

Last edited:

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I am following this closely. Bob and I are heading to Europe for a couple of weeks this year. We are definitely planning on a week in the Dolomites and trying to decided where to go for the other week. I skied the Davos area YEARS ago - before it was a city, when it was still a small town. Right now I am debating between France and Austria for the 2nd week. Bob doesn't care; he always leaves all the planning to me. Any suggestions for accommodations would be welcome.

sbooker

Getting on the lift
Skier
I am following this closely. Bob and I are heading to Europe for a couple of weeks this year. We are definitely planning on a week in the Dolomites and trying to decided where to go for the other week. I skied the Davos area YEARS ago - before it was a city, when it was still a small town. Right now I am debating between France and Austria for the 2nd week. Bob doesn't care; he always leaves all the planning to me. Any suggestions for accommodations would be welcome.

What time of year are you intending on going? If February I would avoid France because of crowds. If after the second week in March it would be a great time for the high north facing French resorts like Les Arcs, Tignes, Val Thorens and the like. That said Ischgl in Austria would normally be superb that time of year too.
In my view the best time to visit Europe is the second half of January to the second week of February. That way it’s not essential to be in a high ski area. And crowds are modest too.

TS
Jacob

Jacob

Out on the slopes
Skier

Getting up into Austria will be easier than heading over to France, but France wouldn’t be too bad of a trip. @sbooker has given some good late-season suggestions. If you’re going mid-winter, then there are plenty of lower places that would be good, such as Kitzbuhel and St. Anton. It just depends on what kind of skiing and what sort of town you’re looking for.

As for accommodation suggestions, if you’re going to Austria, then make sure you plan a Saturday-Saturday stay. If you do that, then it opens up options for all sorts of B&Bs, which are much more reasonably priced than the hotels. In St. Anton, the Haus Kandahar is the best located B&B I’ve ever stayed in. It’s a short walk to the lifts, but it’s on the opposite side from the lifts as the town center, so it’s quiet while still being convenient for everything.

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
We were thinking of the last week in February and the first week in March. January we are going to the mini gathering in Taos and we want to space our travels out a bit. Saturday to Saturday woukd be fine and it’s our usual anyway. We live at 6900 ft so I’m not too worried about acclimating to altitude. Would last week of Feb still be ok for St Anton or should I look elsewhere.

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
The week 22-29 February 2020 is by far the busiest in the Alps. All major skiing countries have their winter holiday in this week. The week after, only 20% of people have off from school (compared to the week before).
I would avoid the week 22-29 feb if you can.
53243.jpg

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Ok then. First 2 weeks of March is what it will have to be. I will have to look to high altitude resorts. Thanks for the advice. I’m thinking start in the Dolomites and head to France as suggested by @sbooker. I ski mostly on piste; Bob skis everything but sticks mostly with me when we travel. We were going to take a ski safari but decided we would prefer more flexibility.

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
March in the Dolomites is great. You'll love it. SNowmaking and grooming is so good in that part of Italy, you won't have to worry about bad runs.
Keep in mind that you will be traveling for a full day from the Dolomites to France...

TS
Jacob

Jacob

Out on the slopes
Skier
We live at 6900 ft so I’m not too worried about acclimating to altitude.

Going to lower resorts in the Alps isn’t so much about avoiding altitude issues. It’s more about having a good amount of terrain below tree line to ski when the weather comes in.

Tree line in most parts of the Alps is a little under 2000 m (roughly 6500 ft), so the higher resorts have most of their terrain above the trees. When it snows or some low clouds roll in, it can be hard to find terrain with decent visibility.

James

Out There
Instructor
It really depends what you're looking for. That Maurienne? area, Valloire, intrigues me now. I wouldn't be that concerned about going during school vacation week in France if that's your time. Depends how crowd averse you are. If you're used to the East on weekends than I've never found it that big a deal as long as you avoid ski school start time/area. Lunch can be an issue though. Should probably eat at 11! Or 2. But I’ve usually been with Euros who frankly don’t care about our efficiency and we always end up at some of the worst times.
It's the only time of year I've gone in 4 times.
(Summer is awesome but it’s a very different and limited skiing)
They love their groomers in Europe. This is Seceda in Val Gardena, Italy.

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Depends how crowd averse you are. If you're used to the East on weekends than I've never found it that big a deal as long as you avoid ski school start time/area. Lunch can be an issue though. Should probably eat at 11! Or 2.

I have been in SoCal since 1978. I'm crowd adverse but used to it. However, I retired a year ago and have choices now so I'd prefer to avoid it. I' m perfect happy with groomers. Bob prefers more variety, but I'm assuming there will be bump runs so he'll be happy enough with that.

Going to lower resorts in the Alps isn’t so much about avoiding altitude issues. It’s more about having a good amount of terrain below tree line to ski when the weather comes in.

Tree line in most parts of the Alps is a little under 2000 m (roughly 6500 ft), so the higher resorts have most of their terrain above the trees. When it snows or some low clouds roll in, it can be hard to find terrain with decent visibility.

So, if the first 2 weeks of March is the plan, what resorts would you recommend? I'm not a big fan of low vis when I'm in an unfamiliar place.

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
So, if the first 2 weeks of March is the plan, what resorts would you recommend? I'm not a big fan of low vis when I'm in an unfamiliar place.
In The Dolomites, I think there are two options if you want the total experience (i.e. great network of groomers, some easy powder skiing if it has dumped, some WW1 history, iconic runs and places nearby - great food and scenery is just about everywhere, don't worry about that)...
My first suggestion would be San Cassiano in Alta Badia. Connected to the Sella Ronda, so easy access to Val Gardena with its worldcup runs, the Marmolada, the beautiful run of Lagazuoi and the horse-tow back to Aramentola, a day trip to Cortina perhaps...
My second suggestion would be Canazei, on the oposite side of the Sella Ronda. Equally easy access to endless groomers around the Sella Ronda, Marmolada, Val Gardena. But also a 10 min bus ride away for Pozza and Vigo di Fassa, Latemar 10 minutes further, the beautiful town of Moena and its lovely little ski area of Alpe Lusia (great for skiing when it is dumping. Nice bits of terrain, below treeline mostly).
If you rent a car, you can explore a bot more on either side of the Sella Ronda; if you're dependant on bus sservice - it's there and it works.

Ulmerhutte

Getting on the lift
Skier
Two months in the Arlberg, staying in St Anton, looking for more of:

40119164313_319eb36de3_c.jpg

...powder morning in Zürs.

Heading over in 143 days (and not counting. Much!)

James

Out There
Instructor
You might want to go to a foggy place like Whitefish or Whistler before to get used to low vis. It’s likely going to happen. Like fog in San Francisco.
It’s somewhat of a learnable skill. At least learning not to freak out. The speed which a lot in Europe go through full fog is mind boggling.

Even if you stay on groomers you should consider ski school or a guide to get around if your on your own. You can spend a lot of time getting from place to place.

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
Even if you stay on groomers you should consider ski school or a guide to get around if your on your own. You can spend a lot of time getting from place to place.
I would spend that money on something else, te bo hounest. Piste maps are just fine. And if you know which place you will be skiing, enough people here can provide tips (including specific run numbers and names).

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January