• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

International (Europe/Japan/Southern Hemisphere) Europe 2019/2020: Who, when, where?

DanishRider

Getting off the lift
Skier
Well, it's absolutely dumping down in Tignes/Val d'Isere today. It started last night and hasn't let up. Combined with strong winds higher up, it caused resort officials to shut all lifts the entire day.

I had a couple of good powder days this week, so it's sad to end on a wash out. Now, I'm just hoping the mountain passes stay open tomorrow so that I can get back to the airport.
I was there the weekend before - same situation and also lost the last day - Road down was okay, since they cleared it at lightning speed - very effective!

TS
Jacob

Jacob

Out on the slopes
Skier
As much as I appreciate the people clearing the snow this morning, I'm not sure I appreciate their decision to start working on the road outside my window at 4:30 a.m.

Still windy and snowing here.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Well, it's absolutely dumping down in Tignes/Val d'Isere today. It started last night and hasn't let up. Combined with strong winds higher up, it caused resort officials to shut all lifts the entire day.

I had a couple of good powder days this week, so it's sad to end on a wash out. Now, I'm just hoping the mountain passes stay open tomorrow so that I can get back to the airport.

I was there the weekend before - same situation and also lost the last day - Road down was okay, since they cleared it at lightning speed - very effective!

We had a storm like that at Val d'Isere last year. We skied in the morning, mostly off the funicular. We stopped at an on mountain restaurant for lunch and when we emerged all hell had broken loose and all lifts were closed. skiing down with, at times, zero visibility and gale force winds was quite an adventure even though we weren't very high up.

DanishRider

Getting off the lift
Skier
We had a storm like that at Val d'Isere last year. We skied in the morning, mostly off the funicular. We stopped at an on mountain restaurant for lunch and when we emerged all hell had broken loose and all lifts were closed. skiing down with, at times, zero visibility and gale force winds was quite an adventure even though we weren't very high up.
First day in Tignes this year was much like that - decided to start après after lunch:)

TS
Jacob

Jacob

Out on the slopes
Skier
I’m being unimaginative again and just booked another trip to Arosa. I’ll be skiing there January 5-9.

Black Dog

Its all downhill from here..
Skier
We are spending a week in Zermatt mid Jan, looking to add a few more days at another area on our way back to Amsterdam for our flight home. Any suggestions?
Who has the best conditions there right now?

TS
Jacob

Jacob

Out on the slopes
Skier
@Black Dog, it looks like Verbier has a good amount of snow on the ground at the moment. I know Tignes and Val d'Isere had a good amount of snow when I was there the week before last.

So, I'm guessing that most of the high(ish) western Swiss or French resorts would be a safe bet. I'm not sure which area would be the most convenient for you to get to from Zermatt.

Goran M.

Getting off the lift
Inactive
St. Anton
Jan 18-25

Courmayeur/Aosta 3/11-3-25

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
How’s the seaaon been in western Switzerland? Verbier and over to Chamonix?
Looking at being in Verbier Feb 9-16. Likely Cham after.

Goran M.

Getting off the lift
Inactive
Very nice conditions in St. Anton although some clouds and light snow at times would limit visibility ...

"Ski routes" were just fantastic today ... fresh snow in the morning and soft bumps developing in the afternoon, skiers heaven !

Pistes (groomers) were fine but icy at spots ... need more snow but ... for majority of people it is perfect ...

Had so much fun on the"private" run #75 off Arlenmahder ... "private" meaning nobody around for few runs ...

Weather is going to be cold and sunny for a week and then it looks like some snow might be coming this way.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online