• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Jacob

Out on the slopes
Skier
Lots of good responses on this post. It's appreciated! It's overwhelming to google and review some of the suggested areas due to the sheer volume. Looking at the Onthesnow reviews for some of the above suggestions, I see a lot of talk about ski apre. Though I appreciate a good after skiing adult bevy, the ski apre/night life is the very last thing on my list of importance. My wife and I once took a trip to Breck not knowing it was college week. BIG MISTAKE.

Anyways, point being is that I would like some suggestions for locations where the atmosphere is friendlier for older middle aged farts.
:daffy:

The thing that you need to remember is that these places aren't small groups of condos at the base of the mountains; they're towns. So even if you're somewhere that is known for its bars and clubs, you can easily avoid them, because there's more to the town than just that.

apache

Booting up
Inactive
The thing that you need to remember is that these places aren't small groups of condos at the base of the mountains; they're towns. So even if you're somewhere that is known for its bars and clubs, you can easily avoid them, because there's more to the town than just that.
I didn't articulate very well (above). The Opensnow reviews are very nightlife/town centric which I have far less interested in versus the actual skiing (where the reviews tend to fall short).

Jacob

Out on the slopes
Skier
I didn't articulate very well (above). The Opensnow reviews are very nightlife/town centric which I have far less interested in versus the actual skiing (where the reviews tend to fall short).

Ah, in that case, I recommend Arosa. It's a nice town that you can get to fairly easily by train from Zurich. And together with Lenzerheide, the have plenty of good groomers of varying degrees of difficulty. They also have a lot of easy-access off-piste, from fairly mellow stuff to longer routes.

DanishRider

Getting off the lift
Skier
Lots of good responses on this post. It's appreciated! It's overwhelming to google and review some of the suggested areas due to the sheer volume. Looking at the Onthesnow reviews for some of the above suggestions, I see a lot of talk about ski apre. Though I appreciate a good after skiing adult bevy, the ski apre/night life is the very last thing on my list of importance. My wife and I once took a trip to Breck not knowing it was college week. BIG MISTAKE.

Anyways, point being is that I would like some suggestions for locations where the atmosphere is friendlier for older middle aged farts.
:daffy:
Well - St. Anton isn't for you then - Better find another town in the area (Warth?!) :)
après will be happening all over Austria, but can be avoided if your not into that!

apache

Booting up
Inactive
Well - St. Anton isn't for you then - Better find another town in the area (Warth?!) :)
après will be happening all over Austria, but can be avoided if your not into that!
Ha! Well, it's not so much that I am trying to avoid après, but rather finding good reviews on the actual skiing-that's what you guys are for ogsmile. When you read through the Onthesnow reviews you'll find there is a lot of talk about what drinks they had, the food was awesome, there's 50 bars on this street, 25 on the other. If I wanted to read stuff like that I'd go to TripAdvisor. When I research potential ski trips, I focus on the actual skiing first, settle on a destination, and then work out all the accommodations from there.

Cheers,
G

Ulmerhutte

Getting on the lift
Skier

Not sure why you would say that... there are, for sure, a lot of après venues in StA, but nobody is forcing you to take part. Some people actually go to StA for the skiing! Shock, horror: my wife and I have been going to StA for 16 years now, and only once have we stopped at an après bar. It is not our thing.

You may however choose to not go to StA if you are an intermediate skier, or below, and not confident with icy conditions and crowded runs. That I can understand.

If however you are a strong skier, especially off piste, then the world is your oyster in the Arlberg. The scope and scale of the area is enormous. It encompasses StA (Galzig, Gampen, & Rendl), St Christoph, Stuben, Zürs, Lech, Schröcken, and Warth, all interconnected by lifts/skiing. There is also Sonnenkopf, but a bus ride is needed. As you get to know the place, and we are still learning (even after 16 years), you will know where to find the best snow and how to avoid the crowds. So, happy to answer any questions on StA, and/or dispel any myths.

DanishRider

Getting off the lift
Skier
I agree - My point being, th
Not sure why you would say that... there are, for sure, a lot of après venues in StA, but nobody is forcing you to take part. Some people actually go to StA for the skiing! Shock, horror: my wife and I have been going to StA for 16 years now, and only once have we stopped at an après bar. It is not our thing.

You may however choose to not go to StA if you are an intermediate skier, or below, and not confident with icy conditions and crowded runs. That I can understand.

If however you are a strong skier, especially off piste, then the world is your oyster in the Arlberg. The scope and scale of the area is enormous. It encompasses StA (Galzig, Gampen, & Rendl), St Christoph, Stuben, Zürs, Lech, Schröcken, and Warth, all interconnected by lifts/skiing. There is also Sonnenkopf, but a bus ride is needed. As you get to know the place, and we are still learning (even after 16 years), you will know where to find the best snow and how to avoid the crowds. So, happy to answer any questions on StA, and/or dispel any myths.

I agree - But my point was that if you are an intermediate, then i believe you have better options in Ski Alrberg :)

Sponsor

Staff online