• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Etap Red 12 speed

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
https://www.bikeradar.com/us/road/news/article/sram-etap-12-speed-spotted-53213/

In case you haven’t read about this, it looks like a nice improvement over the current Etap but it’s Not compatible with current Etap Red Hrd The new groupset offers better gear spacing and a new crank ring design. I was going to change put my Moots Routt to Etap so this may make sense for my to move my Etap from the Trek Emonda and put this on the Moots.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
I’ve seen it - it’s beautiful. Rode with some guys that got the first ones here - they love it. Kind of wonky chainring/cassette combos - but if you do the math works out.

Reactions: Ron

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
yeah, those chainring combos are all new to me.

Funny enough all those 'exotic' chainring sizes, they're actually in well defined pulling ranges: gravel - old mountain - touring

50/37 is not terribly different from 50/36 aka very common current gravel gearing; 48/35 is not terribly different to the outer two rings of a late-90s mountain triple aka everybody's urban beater bike ; 46/33 is well-established cyclotouring gearing - witness Rene Herse nee Compass.

Those ratios are just new to post-80s roadies ogsmile

EDIT: HAH! Of course GCN did a video.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ron
TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
LOL, guilty as charged. But thats what I most interested in. the compact, with a 32 cassette gives me plenty of climbing so I dont want to go to a 36 front and lose that gear especially if the 12 speed is going to automatically limit the 33 on the new cassette. (thats what I read anyway) so I need to plug those gears into my home made gear calculation tool. My goal would be to reduce the spacing in the current compact gearing (11-32/ 50-34). If I picked up some low gear performance for flats and pedaling out of descents, that would be a bonus. (I think its low gear, I am a bit dyslexic)

BTW- the 46-33 would be an interesting setup for gravel here as well.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
LOL, guilty as charged. But thats what I most interested in. the compact, with a 32 cassette gives me plenty of climbing so I dont want to go to a 36 front and lose that gear especially if the 12 speed is going to automatically limit the 33 on the new cassette. (thats what I read anyway) so I need to plug those gears into my home made gear calculation tool. My goal would be to reduce the spacing in the current compact gearing (11-32/ 50-34). If I picked up some low gear performance for flats and pedaling out of descents, that would be a bonus. (I think its low gear, I am a bit dyslexic)

BTW- the 46-33 would be an interesting setup for gravel here as well.

I gotcha. That's the tall gears, but I understood.

So...no hydraulic-shift super lightweight 1x13 Rotor for you then?

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Looks like the bomb to me. I'm currently on hold for a new road-ish bike. Inventory levels on current Domanes are low to non-existent on a lot of sizes and models, with no anticipated restocking date.

This USUALLY means something new is coming. I'd probably succumb to a slightly redesigned Domane with the new etap gruppo.

But honestly, I'd be equally happy with good old Ultegra, a second set of wheels, and some money left over in the Fun Account.

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
Can you shift your buddies gears to sabotage him with the wireless connection?

Sponsor

Staff online