• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Eric Lipton skiing bumps & crud

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
I met Eric (US Demo Team) when he was our instructor at Dan Egan’s ski camp in Chile and have since enjoyed his style of power, finesse and fun on the snow. Thought I would share this video I saw on FB. While it shows great skiing it also shows how to play and have fun with turn shape and terrain.

razie

Sir Shiftsalot
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Nice.

It's interesting that he's consistently tipping the inside foot on the right footers but not on the left footers - what do y'all think? Alignment is not right? How - which part of the boot?

2019-03-28_17-53-44.jpg

eric2.jpg

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
I wouldn't call it music. @razie, how do you think ski performance would change if you saw different tipping of the right foot on the left footers? Personally, I don't see much difference in his ski performance right to left foot.

Mike

razie

Sir Shiftsalot
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I wouldn't call it music. @razie, how do you think ski performance would change if you saw different tipping of the right foot on the left footers? Personally, I don't see much difference in his ski performance right to left foot.

Mike
Interesting question. These asymmetries are not, I think, some element of technique that can be easily changed - these are normally compensations for something like an equipment misalignment. For instance, on the left footers, there should be less early ski engagement, but he's compensating on average with more early counter, so the engagement and performance is there... he knows how to get the ski to perform, that's for sure. When he's "on the power" they look quite symmetrical.

This one is subtle - to look at a simple example, let's take an example of a very strong alignment, where the skier is subconsciously leaning into the turn - I have encountered this quite frequently - the performance is often there, but the skier is at the maximum range of motion in that plane (and using smaller edge angles), having to bank away from every turn, to get the right performance - more prone to wiping out in off-camber turns or when skipping the rut on course or skidding on ice, as balance is impaired. It doesn't matter how much the coach yells at them, that's not something he/she can fix until the underlying problem is addressed. I have some very striking before/after examples with some of my racers... in video and results, from finishing less than half of races before fixing, to dropping over 30 points after fixing it.

Last edited:

Sponsor