• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I remembered our 2014 visits at JH pretty well since that was the first time since my season there in 1988.

2014, we were in JH for President week and another 1-1/2 week in March. Total zoo. The tram was running about 4-5 boats for Pesident week. 3 boats for the March week. This year's president week tram line looked a bit longer. Much quieter on Tue and Wed. About 3 boat. Went crazy on Thu and after. Probably the weekend warrior with a check list.
The rest of the mountain is much quieter this season than in 2014. I am comparing the 2019 President week vs both weeks in 2014.
The line at the Bridger gondola to get out of the base area was a breeze this year due to the new Sweetwater gondola. They did good there.
I also noticed the lines at Thunder and Sublet were much shorter this year than in either week of 2014. Probably due to Sweetwater which moved lots of lower level skiers to the other side of the mountain.
Interesting. I also wonder if in the case of JH it's the tram that is frustrating people more than the rest of the mountain. Not to overplay the term but it seems the tram is the lightning rod for JH.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Interesting. I also wonder if in the case of JH it's the tram that is frustrating people more than the rest of the mountain. Not to overplay the term but it seems the tram is the lightning rod for JH.
I'm not sure about JH but the sentiment we heard at BigSky is that the resort pass holders pay a premium to ski exclusively at BigSky (or in this case Jackson Hole). At Big Sky they pay $1,599.00 for a season pass. At Jackson, they pay $2,299.00 for a season pass (among other pass options) to get access to the tram line, while us IKON pass holders paid less than 900.00 for access. Granted, we only get 7 or 5 days depending on the IKON we chose, but the locals who pay a premium resent having to share their tram line with someone who paid far less no matter how long the line is.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm not sure about JH but the sentiment we heard at BigSky is that the resort pass holders pay a premium to ski exclusively at BigSky (or in this case Jackson Hole). At Big Sky they pay $1,599.00 for a season pass. At Jackson, they pay $2,299.00 for a season pass (among other pass options) to get access to the tram line, while us IKON pass holders paid less than 900.00 for access. Granted, we only get 7 or 5 days depending on the IKON we chose, but the locals who pay a premium resent having to share their tram line with someone who paid far less no matter how long the line is.

It appears that $1.6k wasn't enough for Boyne to provide the locals with a private resort experience. Several in my group had similar chair lift conversations with the locals. My suggestion was for the locals to ante up $20k to $25k (may be more) for a season pass to kept out the Ikon horde. It's a model that It works for their neighbor.

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
Just back from 3 weeks in Summit County CO, skiing Keystone and A-Basin (on an Epic military pass) and Copper (on a 4-pack). Even though my stay included the President's weekend, I never really had complaints about crowds. Note I did take Saturdays off (6 out of 7 days was enough!). Midweeks were always civilized. Sundays I was at Copper, and with an early arrival and quick ride out of the base and into the bowls, never had a line more than about 2 minutes.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah and it may be the locals that ski 100 days on their pass that gripe most audibly. Which for JH works out to less than $23/day. Multiple IKONs or a Mountain Collective is always an option if it's a better cost per day for lighter use SP candidates. You look at the numbers that way and you quickly realize how there seems to be logic as to how they've priced things relatively. Not sure I agree that season pass holders are carrying the load.

marjoram_sage

newly addicted to skiing
Skier
I made up some numbers and came up with this chart. They need to maximize their total revenue. They can't do that with a high priced product. I think Ikon is a pretty smart trade off, certainly a great deal for a lot of people and good for the resorts to maximize their revenue.

upload_2019-3-5_10-31-13.png

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier

I think so. Plus the 25-30 spots that go to the guide/lessons each boat. We were there right after President Day The tram line seemed similar to years past with the exception of Wed,where there was flat light and a little snow (if I recall) it was basically walk-on to tram deck or maybe 1 boat wait. Think I did 4/5 trams that day. Thu/Fri went blue and it was 4 boat wait (like 40 minutes). Heard bunch of grumbling about IKON in tram queue. Also saw a lot of IKON stickers on skis and passes around necks, which might have been a catalyst.

I’ve gotten to a point where I’ll ride tram if it’s good up top, but can get to most everything I want to ski via thunder and the quad if needed I don’t ski out the gate, although I have. I’ve had a waffle or 2. :)

Elsewhere - minimal lines.

Edit to add - I don’t in any way begrudge the guide/lesson getting to go first. On a big day (if I ever get one there) I’m doing 1/2 day early tram private. Just to have the experience.

Last edited:

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Because the number per box in the school/guide line for the JHMR tram is limited, you can wind up waiting nearly as long as the public line. You just wait on the other side of the building. The one ride before the mountain opens (you wait at the top) is gold, though.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
At Big SKy I waited half an hour for the tram and then another hour at the top for ONE run! I blame it on Ikon!
:ogcool:

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
Because the number per box in the school/guide line for the JHMR tram is limited, you can wind up waiting nearly as long as the public line. You just wait on the other side of the building. The one ride before the mountain opens (you wait at the top) is gold, though.

Point taken. My guess is that isn’t 5+ Trams though.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Point taken. My guess is that isn’t 5+ Trams though.
It's been awhile, so not sure, but I think steep and deep was 3, maybe 4. Most days we did not ride the tram at all, except that first ride.

RJS

Out on the slopes
Skier
Saw this today and it sums it right up for us when it came up on my twitter feed. I thought of this thread.

Good for Magic. With all of the consternation around the IKON and Epic passes, the independents ought to be making their independence a selling point and really hammering that point home in their marketing materials. Multi-resort passes and climate change are going to increasingly put pressure on the independents, but I am confident that the high quality ones will survive. Magic and MRG have excellent terrain and an old-school/no-frills atmosphere that a lot of people find appealing. I'm rooting for them (and more broadly, for the industry as a whole).

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Good for Magic. With all of the consternation around the IKON and Epic passes, the independents ought to be making their independence a selling point and really hammering that point home in their marketing materials. Multi-resort passes and climate change are going to increasingly put pressure on the independents, but I am confident that the high quality ones will survive. Magic and MRG have excellent terrain and an old-school/no-frills atmosphere that a lot of people find appealing. I'm rooting for them (and more broadly, for the industry as a whole).

I agree completely. Me too!!

:beercheer:

Sponsor

Staff online