• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

nemesis256

Patrick
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
First time buying the epic pass. It appears as though the price doesn't increase the closer we get to the season? Meaning buy now vs wait till October is the same price?

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier
I paid $750 for a season pass to Purgatory. In 1994.
Sorry, I just have to remind myself of that when I’m tempted to think these mega passes are getting too pricey.
I might have to get the Summit Value Pass next year. This year I only have Keystone and honestly it’s been fine. My recent misadventures in Utah kind of put me off the idea of traveling far and wide to try different places, and I can have fun skiing anywhere. But it might be worth it to have one more option.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
First time buying the epic pass. It appears as though the price doesn't increase the closer we get to the season? Meaning buy now vs wait till October is the same price?
It will go up, but in relatively small incremental amounts.
First thing you lose is the buddy pass counts,
Then on subsequent deadlines they will bump up prices like $20 to $40 at each bump.
Based on past policies, at the final chance to buy, it won't be more than $200 more than the lowest possible price.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Pretty sure I'll get another Epic local pass :rolleyes:, although Saturday's at Stowe are becoming a ridiculous mass of humanity.

The Northeast pass looks useless to me since it only has 10 Stowe days. I'm at Stowe that many times in December alone.

I'll take the 20% off lessons, food, etc. though... Prices historically go up about 5% a year.

I’m an Epic guy but I think the 20% off is a heck of a deal.

marjoram_sage

newly addicted to skiing
Skier
Fine print indicates it will not cover multi lesson products. Packs or otherwise

At Heavenly, there is no discount for signing up for multi-day kids lessons. Kids lessons are expensive even at independent ski resorts in Tahoe (unless you go to places with very low-vertical). 20% discount on a single day lesson at Heavenly would actually make them quite competitive.

1583277425548.png

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
I’m an Epic guy but I think the 20% off is a heck of a deal.

20% off anything is better than 0% off, but to be clear:
  1. 20% off is only at quick service and on-mountain restaurants and applies to total spend of up to $150 per day and excludes alcoholic beverage.
  2. 20% off is only on group lessons, not private lessons or camps.
  3. 20% off lodging is only at Vail owned/managed properties.

Mister Tea

The skier formerly known as Walt
Skier
I haven't looked at all the fine print, but am wondering if Epic offers a spring deal where if you buy a pass for next season you get some kind of access in April this season. If so, they probably will hook me.

When the Ikon pass came out two years ago I got one and broke even* in April, before the season even started.

*By "break even" I mean the Ikon pass plus both my two local passes. All three passes paid for before the lifts started turning.

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
My wife and I have the Epic Veterans passes. All I had to do to qualify was to have served on active duty and have an Honorable discharge. My wife qualifiies for the same price as a dependent. The pass for next year is $569 plus tax. Not for all Epic areas but includes all that are owned and operated by Vail. This is a really good deal for an unrestricted pass. It even includes Whistler.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
I haven't looked at all the fine print, but am wondering if Epic offers a spring deal where if you buy a pass for next season you get some kind of access in April this season. If so, they probably will hook me.

Historically, no. The only deal from last year in spring was that you could apply 1 day lift ticket to the pass price for next season. This was only if you didn't have a pass from the prior season. Also, you had to pay for the pass in full.

It was called 'turn in your ticket.' And you had to use the lift ticket for it to apply. The lift ticket also had to be bought late season. I think sometime after March 20ish.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Drilled down beyond the linked Epic pass web page and found my Epic Tahoe Local Senior Pass (HV KW NS) will auto renew for $449, a modest $20 increase from this season. Thank you Vail Resorts for making it possibly for we senior hard core skiers.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Does this mean raising prices on everything?
Actually I was wondering about the discount restrictions.
I skied Northstar one day this season and ate lunch around 12:30, was denied my 10% discount because the discount isn't allowed between noon and 2:00PM.

I knew we couldn't use our employee discount between noon and 2, but I thought that was because employees were supposed to leave the lodges for the guests during prime lunch time. Had no idea that there was a restriction for pass holders.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
  1. 20% off is only at quick service and on-mountain restaurants and applies to total spend of up to $150 per day and excludes alcoholic beverage.

I get it. We can use our Epic pass locally where neither food nor lessons are super expensive. My wife also likes to do group lessons when we travel which is typically to a Vail Resort. It will help out some no question.

Last edited:

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I skied Northstar one day this season and ate lunch around 12:30, was denied my 10% discount because the discount isn't allowed between noon and 2:00PM.

I knew we couldn't use our employee discount between noon and 2, but I thought that was because employees were supposed to leave the lodges for the guests during prime lunch time. Had no idea that there was a restriction for pass holders.
Previous and maybe currently the food discount was always part of the "Epicpass Club" set of benefits on a resort-by-resort basis, and the tahoe resorts had and still have the food 15% as after 2pm. The lodging 20% is there too, and the lessons and extra liftticket spend were previous part of the vail peak rewards points thingy which would also be worth about 15% back but really hard to find a way to cash in. So for many of these things, it's a standardization of a lot of existing hodgepodge perks from the resort level to 1 universal thing. Prices will go up, but that's to pay those corporate loans, probably not because they standardized perks.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister

Well, that sucks (for me at least...).

The old AIG Stowe passes gave some discount (I forget what percentage...) off the price of private lessons. That was awesome.

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
My wife and I have the Epic Veterans passes. All I had to do to qualify was to have served on active duty and have an Honorable discharge. My wife qualifiies for the same price as a dependent. The pass for next year is $569 plus tax. Not for all Epic areas but includes all that are owned and operated by Vail. This is a really good deal for an unrestricted pass. It even includes Whistler.

It is a great deal. Not as good as the one for active or retired, but still great. I am also a veteran (10 years in Naval Reserve) and have had the Liberty pass for two years. Only good at Keystone, but I also have had a Copper 4-pack.

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
Well, that sucks (for me at least...).

The old AIG Stowe passes gave some discount (I forget what percentage...) off the price of private lessons. That was awesome.
Oh, I thought you meant because of the $150 food limit. The hot cocoas add up fast! :ogbiggrin::roflmao:

Green08

Front Range Skier
Skier

Yeah. The pass holder discounts at the moment are pretty limited. 10% on food is not at every location, and is almost only after 2pm, and not on alcohol. I have even had a cashier have no idea what I was asking about.

Resort charge required manually typing in my season pass number. Never used that feature again.

For the moment, the new policy seems across the board and simple. We shall see

ForeverSki

Getting on the lift
Skier
It is a great deal. Not as good as the one for active or retired, but still great. I am also a veteran (10 years in Naval Reserve) and have had the Liberty pass for two years. Only good at Keystone, but I also have had a Copper 4-pack.
I’m also a veteran but am mooching off my DH’s retired status. Funny thing is he doesn’t even ski. I get the Epic military to ski Breck & Keystone. When Vail bought Peak Resorts last Fall, I got to ski my local hills Liberty/Whitetail/Roundtop for free and got refunded the Peak season pass I bought back in the Spring. Hats off to Vail to make skiing so incredibly affordable for active and retired military families.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier

as an FYi - that a pretty big swath in Vail, includes the Marriott,

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Philpug
    Notorious P.U.G.
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid