• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Green08

Front Range Skier
Skier
I think the Keystone Plus Pass must be the best damn value in skiing at just $389!

The Keystone Plus Pass gives unlimited access to Keystone (with holiday restrictions), unlimited access to Breck after April 1st, and five holiday restricted days at Crested Butte.

This obviously works well for Colorado front rangers who enjoy Keystone, also allowing a nice getaway or two to CB and late season at Breck.

At just $389, I think it also makes a ton of sense for visitors to Colorado who can travel outside of holidays while also benefiting from the cheap airfare into DIA.

Think of an early-season trip to Keystone for the great snowmaking, a mid-winter trip to Crested Butte for the fantastic terrain, and an April trip to Breck after the crowds are gone for high altitude turns to finish up your season.

For comparison, a Copper Mountain four-pack is $299, for just four days. And a Copper Mountain season pass is $599, for just one mountain. That's ridiculous!

(This has been a public service announcement from a faithful Copper Mountain skier. You don't have to run faster than the bear.) :D
Yes. It is a fantastic deal. 6 days of skiing—4 pack and 2 epic day passes—and the rest is gravy.

Green08

Front Range Skier
Skier
I'm curious if this will be a real discount or if they will jack up the prices so it is only a perceived discount. I'm pasting some lesson prices here for comparison when we have the prices available for next winter.

Kirkwood

View attachment 95714

View attachment 95715

Park City

View attachment 95716

View attachment 95717

Heavenly

View attachment 95718

View attachment 95719
Fine print indicates it will not cover multi lesson products. Packs or otherwise

Green08

Front Range Skier
Skier
Spent this season without a pass and it was a struggle - looking for deals, planning way ahead of time. Window prices are high enough in the northeast to justify at least Epic Local.
Looks at the new Northeast Value or Midweek if you won’t be flying west.

Even then, consider options like 3-4 days at Steamboat, A-Basin, or Loveland and you might be able to save vs Epic Local

Green08

Front Range Skier
Skier
Epic Local combined with epic school kids works well for those who live in Colorado with younger kids
Keystone Plus can work well if you can wait to ski Breck in April, and then take two weekends to CB.

You would be limited to 12 days and certain windows. But, it would save you nearly $700 on those two adult passes.

And mind you an adult+kid set of Keystone Plus passes is cheaper than just the adult Epic Local

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Pretty sure I'll get another Epic local pass :rolleyes:, although Saturday's at Stowe are becoming a ridiculous mass of humanity.

The Northeast pass looks useless to me since it only has 10 Stowe days. I'm at Stowe that many times in December alone.

I'll take the 20% off lessons, food, etc. though... Prices historically go up about 5% a year.

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
Pretty sure I'll get another Epic local pass :rolleyes:, although Saturday's at Stowe are becoming a ridiculous mass of humanity.

The Northeast pass looks useless to me since it only has 10 Stowe days. I'm at Stowe that many times in December alone.

I'll take the 20% off lessons, food, etc. though... Prices historically go up about 5% a year.

You can ski unlimited at Okemo, Sunapee, Attitash, Roundtop, Big Boulder, Wildcat, Crotched, Hunter,...you may not have time to make it to Stowe.

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Epic Local combined with epic school kids works well for those who live in Colorado with younger kids
This is what we've been doing the past number of seasons. One of my kids ages out of the school kids pass but another one ages in. Depending on what my wife and teenager want to do we're looking at one adult Epic Local, one child Epic local, probably two Epic 5 day passes and 2 Epic school kids. I have to run the number but think its still less than the Ikon equivalents.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
You can ski unlimited at Okemo, Sunapee, Attitash, Roundtop, Big Boulder, Wildcat, Crotched, Hunter,...you may not have time to make it to Stowe.

:roflmao:

Although Wildcat is kinda nice... but it's actually farther from me than Stowe is (in terms of drive time).

Green08

Front Range Skier
Skier
This is what we've been doing the past number of seasons. One of my kids ages out of the school kids pass but another one ages in. Depending on what my wife and teenager want to do we're looking at one adult Epic Local, one child Epic local, probably two Epic 5 day passes and 2 Epic school kids. I have to run the number but think its still less than the Ikon equivalents.
Don’t exclude what you might be able to get from a Summit Value or Keystone Plus Pass for those who might use the Epic 5 Day

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
So what is Vail's goal with the Northeast Midweek Pass? I thought the whole purpose of these passes was to draw people into heading west to the bigger mountains for vacations and suck their money then.

With the new midweek eastern pass for $449 you get zero days anywhere except the Northeast. Still a decent deal for me as I ski mid week and hit Hunter a bunch anyway.

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
So what is Vail's goal with the Northeast Midweek Pass? I thought the whole purpose of these passes was to draw people into heading west to the bigger mountains for vacations and suck their money then.

With the new midweek eastern pass for $449 you get zero days anywhere except the Northeast. Still a decent deal for me as I ski mid week and hit Hunter a bunch anyway.

The goal is to offer the same product in different "packaging" and attain as much leverage as possible by making what started as a "one size fits all" pass into a "tailored" pass.

There is some debate however whether that is indeed a smart business decision and/or if it has gone too far.

My hunch is that the pass options/versions will diminish going forward and that the difference between the passes will increase.

Last edited:

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier

They're probably slow midweek so are vying with Sugarbush for locals, retirees, and students that are interested in a less expensive option.

Cols714

Booting up
Skier
Keystone Plus can work well if you can wait to ski Breck in April, and then take two weekends to CB.

You would be limited to 12 days and certain windows. But, it would save you nearly $700 on those two adult passes.

And mind you an adult+kid set of Keystone Plus passes is cheaper than just the adult Epic Local

True, but I kind of want to ski Vail and Beaver Creek. I've spent the last few years on IKON and we are getting tired (in the best way) of Eldora and Winter Park.

Green08

Front Range Skier
Skier

Midweek in the northeast is WAY different game than at Vails western resorts. CO in particular does not demand a midweek product. But many of those smaller areas in NY, VT, NH and all need midweek locals.

I think the pass is justified along with the NE Local. It makes the jump to a western vacation on the Epic Local look less $$$ too

Front Range CO has four different pass options too. So Vail has a track record.

It also allows them to offer pricing below Ikon or the Stratton or Sugarbush only options.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
I will most likely get the Tahoe Local Pass. I plan to ski Kirkwood, Heavenly and Park City next season. Wonder if they will let me upgrade to the unrestricted pass in early December once we have a better idea of the conditions for Christmas.

real life here - we have had an Epic Local since inception, and a Colorado Local before that. Anyway, never thought we would ski over Christmas holiday....ever. Except, this year we went to Euroland in early Dec, came back, didn’t want to deal with Christmas and went skiing. Called Vail and the would allow me to move Local to Full for the difference. It was after the deadline but before our first day on snow. I’d call.

turns out we skied right up to 12/26, didn’t need to upgrade anyway - lodging availabilty dictated this. Turns out it was great - low crowds esp 25/26 and a powder day,

Planning on it again.

Sponsor

Staff online