• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Enve Custom Bike Builders round-up. Bike lovers need to see this

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Enve is holding its round-up of custom, small bike manufacturers. check out these amazing builds.

Part one- http://www.enve.com/en/journal/builder-round-up-part-one/

Part two- http://www.enve.com/en/journal/builder-round-up-part-two/?memberid=795038590&mailingid=185229182&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=Enjoy 12 of the 23 Bikes&utm_campaign=Builder Round-up Part Two, Content

My favorite build, from Sklar Bikes.

1596136482920.png

Last edited:

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Those are some BEAUTIFUL bikes! Thanks!

Reactions: Ron

tch

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, and Bozeman is getting to be a bike mecca. Three bikes from there in this show and at least one more builder -- Kirk Frameworks -- in residence.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I love gumwall tires.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Custom? How about every bike built to the measurements of its rider?

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
most, if not all of the 23 builders in this build-off do that for you. thats part of the reason why you go to a small bike manufacturer. In addition to custom sizing, they will also adjust HA's SA's and other non-fit dimensions for a truly custom build. I am most likely getting a gravel frame built this winter and can choose the BB drop, HA, SA and other geo components to fit what I want.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
My favorite build, from Sklar Bikes.

Funky saddle angle, Batman. Almost looks like the seat tube was designed for a Brooks saddle.

I wish he'd give us geo numbers for that build; I have been seriously interested in his Sweet Spot and PBJ for a while now.

By the way - have another look (or three) at that English build. There is so much trick on that bike everyone missed at least half of it on their first run through.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
LOL, it matches the sloped top tube. I have to use 0 set-backs myself. :).

Yeh, I'd have a Berthoud Galibier or Brooks Swallow on there faster than an auctionmaster can say "back crick".

Custom? How about every bike built to the measurements of its rider?

There's something suspicious about that level of 3D manufacture (and is that generative design?) with an Italian accent right now. And that's not just a Ferrari/Mercedes joke, either. And it's on Indiegogo. And they're doing their own wheels.

Last edited:

tch

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I, too, like that Sklar. Beautiful and just different enough.
But I've also got a hankering for a carbon frame (never had one) so that Pursuit looks hot to me. Though the paint job is just too over-the-top.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
But I've also got a hankering for a carbon frame (never had one) so that Pursuit looks hot to me. Though the paint job is just too over-the-top.

For me the decision between custom carbon and custom steel is by riding mileage/volume. Carbon gets questionable as it ages so I'd want at least 3-4 years of high mileage/volume riding goals in the close future to go that way. By 'volume' I mean lots of *hard* rides that don't necessarily add up to high mileage but require considerable effort.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
I, too, like that Sklar. Beautiful and just different enough.

I'll take carbon for the road but Ti for gravel.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
For me the decision between custom carbon and custom steel is by riding mileage/volume. Carbon gets questionable as it ages so I'd want at least 3-4 years of high mileage/volume riding goals in the close future to go that way. By 'volume' I mean lots of *hard* rides that don't necessarily add up to high mileage but require considerable effort.

I'm not sure I buy that. my trek frame has a lifetime warranty and I haven't read anything to the contrary regarding a quality build frame.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I'm not sure I buy that. my trek frame has a lifetime warranty and I haven't read anything to the contrary regarding a quality build frame.

You don't have to.

For my own part, there aren't many 2005 and older carbon frames that I would be comfortable riding at a performance pace miles from home.

I retired my Giant TCR with chainstay corrosion, my Spesh Tarmac with BB corrosion, my Alan because *scary*. Then there's my history with Kestrel fork/steerer corrosion. Is it possible these were mediocre builds? I suppose it is *shrug* but if so it is harder to find 'quality' than first appears.

I am not picking 2005 out of a hat - now that my riding is down to barely a third of what it was then, it would take me 15 years to get the volume those frames had when they died . I am sure in 2035 I will be even slower .

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Awesome. Thanks @Ron!

For some reason, I've always wanted a Strong frame, and his entry of basically a full-on road bike with extra tire clearance is an approach that every road bike should follow, IMO.

Sponsor

Staff online