• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Entry Level MTB For Friend

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We have a skiing buddy who is in good shape and is an avid hiker. He tried mountain biking on a rental recently and wants to get a bike. He found a 1999 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR for sale for $350 that he wants to buy.

I am thinking that this bike, despite being old technology and a 26er is probably better than anything he could get new for $500. And I am sure he won't spend more than that until he is sure he wants to really pursue the sport.

This is the bike he is looking at:
https://www.facebook.com/garb1/posts/10154886452456807

Thoughts?

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
depending on where and what he will be riding, i think a bike like this is still a better option due to new geo, new updated parts/components.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/talon-3

but, you should be able to find a better bike than that stumpjumper used in his price range.

TS
Crank

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
That Giant does look decent for the price. He is in northern Westchester County, NY and lives just a few miles from a popular mtb trail network called Blue Mountain Reservation. It is a mix of steep, rocky fire roads and technical, rocky, rooty single track. There is one mile long flow trail. Most of the riding around here is rocky and rooty with a few exceptions.

I always recommend FSR for older folks; it may add weight, but helps eliminate lower back pain. The newbie in question is 60 years old.

Reactions: Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
ibis sl.jpg
I have a 24" ETT (XL frame but really close to most L) Ibis MojoSL carbon 26'r for sale but its $800.00

Ibis Mojo Sl, SLX build – $850.00 Carbon frame, upgraded to XT brakes, Crank Brothers wheelset. 140mm fork and shock (msrp $1k) Bike build new is $4K. Size is Xl, but Top Tube is 24.4 which is the same for most other bikes sized at L. I am happy to discuss bike fit and geometry for this level of mountain bike. . I will include Time Attack pedals. Bike was purchased in late summer of 2010 so bike came with a mix of 2011 components including the new Shimano component line, new 2011 shock and fork.

Here’s a bike value

http://www.bicyclebluebook.com/SearchListingDetail.aspx?id=3039983&make=688&model=68611

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
THat's a sweet bike for $800!

As for the FSR, I'd say go for it, it's only money and once you get him hooked on the sweet sensation of single track you can worry about the rest. Just make sure nothing seems super shaky, make sure the rear shock isn't weeping oil. If he needs rebuilds on a 17 year old shock it may be next to impossible and/or double the cost of the bike.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
he would be crazy to not go for Ron's bikes....

how tall is he?

TS
Crank

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
He's about 5'10". I have a feeling the bike he is looking at might be small for him. Probably a 17.

Ron's bike at $800 would be a lot better than the one he is considering, but I know he won't spend that kind of dough on his first ride. He's a cheap bastard. lol

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Just make sure nothing seems super shaky, make sure the rear shock isn't weeping oil. If he needs rebuilds on a 17 year old shock it may be next to impossible and/or double the cost of the bike.

Isn't that one just an air can though, more likely to go flat than weep oil? Should be fixable for fairly cheap if he can find seal kits somewheres, but he'll want to splash out on a shock pump?

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
He's about 5'10". I have a feeling the bike he is looking at might be small for him. Probably a 17.

Ron's bike at $800 would be a lot better than the one he is considering, but I know he won't spend that kind of dough on his first ride. He's a cheap bastard. lol

yeah ron's bike with a short stem would beh best bang for you buck. I would not touch a 99 stump jumper at all..... there is so much wrong with that bike from 1999. It like skiing a bad straight ski, where Ron's bike is like a second gen shaped ski.

Reactions: Ron

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
We have a skiing buddy who is in good shape and is an avid hiker. He tried mountain biking on a rental recently and wants to get a bike. He found a 1999 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR for sale for $350 that he wants to buy.

I am thinking that this bike, despite being old technology and a 26er is probably better than anything he could get new for $500. And I am sure he won't spend more than that until he is sure he wants to really pursue the sport.

This is the bike he is looking at:
https://www.facebook.com/garb1/posts/10154886452456807

Thoughts?

$350 is way too much for any 1999 MTB IMHO.

TS
Crank

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I found a site that values used bikes and they say it's worth about $300.

I don't know all that much about bikes, but Robin bought a new $600 Specialized Myka 29er as her first mtb and it was kind of a pig. She started having a much better time and riding better as soon as she got on her Superlight.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Superlight is a nice bike. Something like a 2007 Superlight would be worth looking at.

Sponsor