• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Engelberg - baby !

TS
BS Slarver

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
IMG_1885.JPG
Anticipating a heavy picture thread @crgildart

This is all I got till we arrive, the fleet getting their swix bath this morning.
Me with the 2SQ and Mrs. Cat with her trusty sambas, her go to from hard pack to heli, who am I to argue ?

Will be posting updates as well in the what's for lunch thread as well
:beercheer:

TS
BS Slarver

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The eagle has landed after a hellish flight with three screaming kids in the two rows right behind us. Baby must have been cutting teeth and the completely clueless mother nor the father did anything to console him or his siblings for 7 hours. For god sake man, pick them up, walk them around - give them some Benadryl - do something.
You know it's bad when extra leg room is getting kicked and you have ear plugs taped inside noise canceling headphones and it still sounds like the shrill is going right through you !

OK, enough venting, back to the report.

We arrived in the village, just in time for lunch but that's another thread.
Already love this place, Avants and eurowagons everywhere and the Swiss are very friendly. The US dollar is not taken at any place we have been to so far but english is widely spoken which is much better than the other way around.
Drizzling in the village yesterday but the word is it's all snow at 1500m and above. The rotair lift ( a tram that spins as it goes up ) was closed due to high winds yesterday but is expected to reopen this morning.
Avalanche reports at 2-3 yesterday but after yesterdays 150km. winds I'm thinking there will be a move upward to considerable.

Be safe out there, updates to follow.

Last edited:

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Nice 2SQ you took along !
I've been to Zermatt twice, and Villars area once, and have heard often about Engelberg but never been.
Keep us posted of your exploits and how your 2SQ fairs.

- Andy

TS
BS Slarver

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Think the stormriders are going to get the most use given the forecast is snow, snow, snow !
Woke up to the avi guns on day one and this morning, a great alarm clock if you ask me !
Yesterday - 2' of fresh and this morning looks to be another 1'. I'm going to join the piste carvers When the legs are shot.
With 70+ ski areas under my belt I can honestly say this place is NUTS ! Lines being taken from straight out of any matchbox film.

Everything you see here is being skied and I mean everything!
A bucket list trip for sure. Local bakery dropped off breakfast and our 6 day pass was 295 us

A few time zones ahead, time to boot up.

IMG_1898.JPG IMG_1952.JPG

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The US dollar is not taken at any place we have been to so far but english is widely spoken which is much better than the other way around.

That's weird. I always though the Swiss would accept anyone's money :roflmao:
Have a good one and give Mattias Hargin a hug if you see him -- from the country of Sweden.

TS
BS Slarver

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Day 2
@ARL67 when planning your engelberg trip a beacon and an airbag are standard issue. We are two of the few without and will be renting.
We found ourselves climbing out of a chute that would not have had a good outcome.

A guide has been hired for Wednesday to truly take us off piste to " the big 5 "

Today we ended early as it was a total white out, high winds and skiing by braille, unnerving to put it mildly when cliffs are just around the bend, 5 - 8 fell today with snow at present and overnight looks to be another 12

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Be careful with all that new snow on the ground. Don't know what kind of base there was, but it has been treacherous in many parts of the alps with lots of snow and strong winds that make it pile up. Just came back from Courmayeur where an avalanch killed three and injured a handful skiers this Thursday in Val Veny. Airbag a good idea. A few in VV were saved by having one.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hey Glenn,

Great to hear that Engelberg was "Nuts" ! ( via your PM )
I have kept my ski pals informed of your Engelberg exploits and luv of the SR107.

How did you make out renting beacons and airbags ? What was the cost ?
Would you now considering buying your own ?

~ Andy

TS
BS Slarver

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Andy
I think I've read about one or two of your European jaunts and the elusive 2SQ.
Engelberg being our third trip abroad ranks 1 hands down over the Dolomites and Austria.
The weather which of course is a big factor can make the trip. The snow quality and quantity was like no other trip I've had. When in Italy, they had meters more than average of snow but the terrain didn't hold a candle to this place.
After we realized without a guide we would probably not return home alive we booked a private guide at 250/ day for 3 hrs. With that they give you
the use of their beacons, probe and shovel packs daily.

On the airbag purchase, im not sure I would purchase the air bag vs a traditional backpack as it appears to give some people confidence they maybe ought not have given their skills and avalanche preparedness.
Our guide Chris Showed us some great off piste goods and the best ski in ski out pints along with killer deserts on mountain as we made our way home at the end of the day.

The SRs got all but one day of the trip given the conditions, we stopped counting snow totals. The morning and evening avalanche shelling said enough. SRs with the attack demos give those skis multiple personalities.
If our plans don't materialize for moving out west, I may just head over to engelberg for a month. Yes it was that good and after 70 plus ski trips with my wife it was a top trip for affordability and top 5 pick for us overall.

Cheers