• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

End of Year Ski Purchase

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Now that I have my new boots squared away I have started to look for some end of year deals on skis. So far I have looked into the following skis:

Head Titan 170 - 177 with binding $789 Sounds high for end of year
Head Rally 170 - 177 with binding $789
Stockli Laser AX 167 No binding $400 Do not know what year NOS?

Any thoughts on ski for old east coast skier?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I do think that those prices are on the high end, the Stockli is real good. @Tim Hedin and @Gerry Rhoades ..what do you have? Any of those Kastle's left?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I've scored my best deals in late June and July. Season is still going strong around here. However, availability has to be a consideration if you are set on a particular brand and model. It seems that the popular stuff is only available in shorter lengths when the really good markdowns happen.

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
I had an hour to kill the other day at Blue Mtn when it was raining, so I went into the ski shop where everything is 40% off, which is below the pricing you found. They are a Head dealer, and, I was hoping to find a Supershape Speed or Magnum in 170, but, only short lengths were available. My preferences are for the more narrow Heads for east coast skiing. The Rally, at 77 waist would be good for GSish cruising lovers. The Titan has always been a little polarizing, demo before buying. They did have some Head non-FIS Sl skis, you could give them a call to find out what remains.

If you can find the Stockli for that price, I say jump on it. It would be a fine hard snow ski. If you pass on it, let me know where it is.;) It is much closer to the Head Speed.

Reactions: Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Now that I have my new boots squared away I have started to look for some end of year deals on skis. So far I have looked into the following skis:

please let us know who is selling AX's for 400. I will buy several pairs (and sell one to Mike). :thumb:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
With the season we have been having here in the west, there isn't a huge surplus of gear, but the east is where the deals are coming from.

NESkier_26

Putting on skis
Skier
Got a nice deal last week from @SkiEssentials on a pair of Volkl Yumi's with Marker Squire bindings for my 16 year old daughter. We'll be up in Maine this weekend to try them out.

GCRUMP

Putting on skis
Skier
I had an hour to kill the other day at Blue Mtn when it was raining, so I went into the ski shop where everything is 40% off, which is below the pricing you found. They are a Head dealer, and, I was hoping to find a Supershape Speed or Magnum in 170, but, only short lengths were available. My preferences are for the more narrow Heads for east coast skiing. The Rally, at 77 waist would be good for GSish cruising lovers. The Titan has always been a little polarizing, demo before buying. They did have some Head non-FIS Sl skis, you could give them a call to find out what remains.

If you can find the Stockli for that price, I say jump on it. It would be a fine hard snow ski. If you pass on it, let me know where it is.;) It is much closer to the Head Speed.
Since you are a "Philly Guy" , Have you tried Wicks in Exton ( ski's 40% off) or Salters in Eagleville ( everything 50% off starting tomorrow) . Can't say for sure but I thought I saw Head at one or both in the past. Wicks also has Kastle if that tempts you....and Stockli lists them as a dealer but I don't recall seeing them in the past there.
I'm going to swing by both over the next week and will have a look, wanted to see if I can resist a deal on the MX83 or 88

njdiver85

Booting up
Skier
Those prices seem a bit high. Lots of Rally's and Titan's still in stock at Mount Snow Sports in So. Vt. First Trax, independent shop near Mount Snow, has a lot of Stockli sitting around. With snowmaking probably finished for the year, and lots of rain on the horizon, there should be some good deals to be had up there.

TS
Uncle-A

Uncle-A

Skier
please let us know who is selling AX's for 400. I will buy several pairs (and sell one to Mike). :thumb:

The guy at the shop told me he had only one pair left..

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Since you are a "Philly Guy" , Have you tried Wicks in Exton ( ski's 40% off) or Salters in Eagleville ( everything 50% off starting tomorrow) . Can't say for sure but I thought I saw Head at one or both in the past. Wicks also has Kastle if that tempts you....and Stockli lists them as a dealer but I don't recall seeing them in the past there.
I'm going to swing by both over the next week and will have a look, wanted to see if I can resist a deal on the MX83 or 88
Tell Mark I said Hi, I worked there before I moved to Tahoe.

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier

This old west coast skier is having a blast on my Rallys in 177cm. Heck, I threw down 45K vert in a day at Park City several weeks ago!!!

-- Carl

TS
Uncle-A

Uncle-A

Skier

I was all set to purchase the Stockli skis so I drove to the shop that gave me the quote over the phone (about 20 miles from the house) and when I got there it turned out they said the they never gave that price. Must be the old "Bait and Switch" to get you in the door. So scratch that shop for future business from me. He did try to sell me some other ski but I would not bite.

Reactions: Ron
TS
Uncle-A

Uncle-A

Skier
mind sharing the shop so others can avoid them?

I would but I do not want get involved in some law suit. But I do live in North Jersey.

Sponsor

Staff online