• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
dovski

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Hmm...must be Canadian maths Dano? .....or Common Core????....

If you were to "discount the price by 40% for USD" then you would be getting a $1000 CAN product for $600 US. Whereas what you are actually getting is the $1000 CAN product for $710 US @ $.71US= $1CDN

Still dont believe me???

1,000CAD =
705.583USD

1000 USD = 1417.08 CAD
1000 CAD = 705.6765 USD
Exchange Rates Updated : April 2, 2020

705 USD = 999.0414 CAD

The context where the 40% is correct is that you are getting 40% more CAN $ for your US $. That is NOT the same as getting a 40% discount on the CAN $. Still dont believe me? Try offering your Forex broker $600 US for $1000 CAN and see what you get....:popcorn:
Regardless of how you look at Corbetts consistently has the best prices around. So you yes from the Canadian perspective it is 40% cheaper to buy with CND $$ from the US perspective it is about 30% cheaper. Bottom line is what really matters is how much you actually have to pay vs. buying somewhere else. So if you look at the above example with the Soul 7 HD Corbetts was 16% cheaper than the next best price which was already a really good deal.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Hmm...must be Canadian maths Dano? .....or Common Core????....

If you were to "discount the price by 40% for USD" then you would be getting a $1000 CAN product for $600 US. Whereas what you are actually getting is the $1000 CAN product for $710 US @ $.71US= $1CDN

Still dont believe me???

1,000CAD =
705.583USD

1000 USD = 1417.08 CAD
1000 CAD = 705.6765 USD

705 USD = 999.0414 CAD

The context where the 40% is correct is that you are getting 40% more CAN $ for your US $. That is NOT the same as getting a 40% discount on the CAN $. Still dont believe me? Try offering your Forex broker $600 US for $1000 CAN and see what you get....:popcorn:

I am not arguing percentages because it is too confusing.

What is relevant is that for every $1US spent IN Canada buys $1.40CDN worth of product.

As for skis and bindings but not soft goods, in Canada the retail price is less than the US. Example: While at the JH Gathering I priced a pair of Head Kore 93 at Nomad Sports for $675US. That same ski sells in Canada for $699CDN or about $500US without it even going on sale. Plus 12% +/- sales tax depending on which Canadian province.

Soft goods example: Hestra gloves that are $160US at Nomads in JH are $200Cdn in Canada. At the start of the season the Cdn dollar was worth around $.75 US and is now less than $.71 and dropping. I expect the Hestra glove to increase in price in Canada for next season.

Last edited:

JohnnyG

Getting on the lift
Skier
I am not arguing percentages because it is too confusing.

What is relevant is that for every $1US spent IN Canada buys $1.40CDN worth of product.

As for skis and bindings but not soft goods, in Canada the retail price is less than the US. Example: While at the JH Gathering I priced a pair of Head Kore 93 at Nomad Sports for $675US. That same ski sells in Canada for $699CDN or about $500US without it even going on sale. Plus 12% +/- sales tax depending on which Canadian province.

Soft goods example: Hestra gloves that are $160US at Nomads in JH are $200Cdn in Canada. At the start of the season the Cdn dollar was worth around $.75 US and is now less than $.71 and dropping. I expect the Hestra glove to increase in price in Canada for next season.

Don't tell everyone, I still want somewhat affordable ski gear in Canada!

But yes, I dealt with that when I worked in sales, when the CAD was almost at par with the USD, shoppers would cross to the US to buy a new Subaru rather than buying a Canadian one from me.

skibum4ever

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
They work out to $316 US at Corbetts with tax and shipping included, Bindings are pretty cheap there too

Thanks. I wasn't paying attention to the fact that the price is in Canadian dollars. I will take a look today.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

^^^ This is key. I don't know why many/most items have a lower MSRP price in Canada compared to USA. This also includes many soft goods too. This MSRP difference is bad for USA retailers if people start catching on buying from a place like Corbetts, and not their local stores. If you are in the USA and order from Canada, they should not be charging you our 13% HST sales tax. T

A sales guy at Corbetts told me they are the #1 volume dealer for many brands / models in all of North America. I was surprised when they said they were the largest Kore dealer on the continent, considering there is no ski hill in Ontario that warrants a Kore ski, well maybe an argument could be made for the Kore 99 having occasional use. Their physical retail shop really isn't that big for the room that houses their ski & boot & pole offerings. The staff and service have always been great, and I'm happy to have them so close by.

Last edited:

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I don't know why many/most items have a lower MSRP price in Canada compared to USA.

When the Cdn dollar was at par with the US dollar half a dozen years ago I bought a bunch of US dollars which I now spend on trips to the USA. According to a ski shop owner that I shared a gondola ride with at Whistler a few years ago, the Canadian ski distributors did the same thing.

Eventually the Canadian ski distributors will run out of cheap US dollars (as will I) but it may just be that they will still keep the prices low because they know Canadians will not buy very many skis and bindings if the price is $1500.

TS
dovski

dovski

Skier
When the Cdn dollar was at par with the US dollar half a dozen years ago I bought a bunch of US dollars which I now spend on trips to the USA. According to a ski shop owner that I shared a gondola ride with at Whistler a few years ago, the Canadian ski distributors did the same thing.

Eventually the Canadian ski distributors will run out of cheap US dollars (as will I) but it may just be that they will still keep the prices low because they know Canadians will not buy very many skis and bindings if the price is $1500.

There is another factor here. Most of these goods are made in Europe and the duties for imports to Canada are different to those in the US. The other factor is that manufacturers price differently in different markets so Canadian pricing aligns better with the Canadian market …. etc. Long story short is that all these factors plus the CDN $$ makes ski gear much more affordable in Canada similar to prices in Europe. Maybe the real issue is that in the US we are all overcharged for ski gear.

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ordered Head Attack2 13 GW bindings from Corbetts this afternoon. Was 161 CDN and PayPal showed the conversion as 119 USD shipped.

skibum4ever

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks @dovski.

I bought the Rossignol Soul 7 skis and Salomon Warden MNC 11 bindings today from Corbett's. The total converted to about $400 but PayPal charged me about $420. Still a fabulous deal.

I hope there is someone in Customer Service monitoring their sales. I paid and my credit card was charged. But I never received a confirmation email. When I went back to the site to check, my skis and bindings were still in my cart. I contacted them and I hope they will be able to straighten it out.

TS
dovski

dovski

Skier
Thanks @dovski.

I bought the Rossignol Soul 7 skis and Salomon Warden MNC 11 bindings today from Corbett's. The total converted to about $400 but PayPal charged me about $420. Still a fabulous deal.

I hope there is someone in Customer Service monitoring their sales. I paid and my credit card was charged. But I never received a confirmation email. When I went back to the site to check, my skis and bindings were still in my cart. I contacted them and I hope they will be able to straighten it out.

I have bought a ton from them over the years and they have great customer service. Right now they are working with a skeleton crew so orders are taking a long time to ship and things are moving slower in general.

Next time you order from them, set up PayPal to charge you on CDN $$ and used a credit card that does not charge international transaction fees. I find that you get a much better exchange rate that way. That said you got a screaming deal on those skis :cool:

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
I placed my Corbetts order over a week ago. It shows in my account as "Awaiting fulfillment. Will process in 4-6 weeks." Sounds like are swamped with orders and no staff to process them.

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@PinnacleJim my order is saying the same thing. At first I thought the bindings that I ordered might be on back order. I’m not too concerned with what is going on right now and certainly won’t need them for a while.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My order from Corbetts is awaiting fulfillment too. I emailed them 2 days ago and received this reply:

"Thank you for your inquiry. Due to COVID-19, our warehouse is currently closed and we will not be shipping until we are permitted to reopen. That said, our tentative reopen date will be April 8th unless there are any delays or changes, and we will begin shipping after that date. Thank you for your understanding and patience"

However, I doubt April 8th is a valid date with the ongoing shutdowns in Ontario. Luckily we are in the off-season and no one has a ski-buying emergency.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
There is another factor here. Most of these goods are made in Europe and the duties for imports to Canada are different to those in the US. The other factor is that manufacturers price differently in different markets so Canadian pricing aligns better with the Canadian market …. etc. Long story short is that all these factors plus the CDN $$ makes ski gear much more affordable in Canada similar to prices in Europe. Maybe the real issue is that in the US we are all overcharged for ski gear.
Yes we are overcharged, same in the uk

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have placed multiple orders from Corbett’s in the past few years with my last order on 3/11/2020. It was shipped within 2 days and received in Utah on 3/18/2020.
From their mailing list this was sent earlier this week
91E4DC33-CB45-43CB-A4F6-8ABB34D3B127.jpeg

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Everything is going take some extra patience for a while. A lot of small businesses are struggling. I ordered a pair of skis from a brick and motor store today and was chatting with the owner. He was thinking that if he could sell a pair a skis a week he would get through it. Tough times...

TS
dovski

dovski

Skier
One of my orders from them that I placed last month shipped yesterday, the other order which I placed a day later is delayed for another 6 weeks.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My order from Corbetts is awaiting fulfillment too. I emailed them 2 days ago and received this reply:

"Thank you for your inquiry. Due to COVID-19, our warehouse is currently closed and we will not be shipping until we are permitted to reopen. That said, our tentative reopen date will be April 8th unless there are any delays or changes, and we will begin shipping after that date. Thank you for your understanding and patience"

However, I doubt April 8th is a valid date with the ongoing shutdowns in Ontario. Luckily we are in the off-season and no one has a ski-buying emergency.

I opened a chat with them today. Nicole told me that right now they're not permitted to be working and they didn't have a time for when they expect to be able to ship our orders. Nothing about April 8th. I don't really care when they ship given that it's April but it's nice to know that my order isn't lost in limbo.