• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Electric Truck - Wow!

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

James

Out There
Instructor
When you regret your Tesla. #tesla Kettleman City, CA I-5

That was below the video.
No title on my mobile.
What, do they get 15 min and then have to move on? Even at that that looks like hours in line.
Maybe a gas generator in the trunk with a cord plugged in. Oh wait, they make those cars...

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Until they can recharge cars at the same rate and capacity they can refuel cars, this will be a cluster more and more with adoption/diffusion of EVs. Being able to charge at least one car for every room at every motel will alleviate some of it. Imagine not having to stop at all between point A and point B on a 6 hour drive?? And.. being able to recharge fully in an hour (or less) for another 6 hours?? That will be the point of inflection where this starts working.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Until they can recharge cars at the same rate and capacity they can refuel cars, this will be a cluster more and more with adoption/diffusion of EVs. Being able to charge at least one car for every room at every motel will alleviate some of it. Imagine not having to stop at all between point A and point B on a 6 hour drive?? And.. being able to recharge fully in an hour (or less) for another 6 hours?? That will be the point of inflection where this starts working.
I think we have that capability already, the real challenge is that everyone keeps on thinking of EVs the same way they think of Gas powered vehicles and that is a big mistake. My guess is that half to 3/4 of the people in that line probably did not need to charge and many in the bays may have been over charging (charging well beyond the actual range we need).

As EVs getting broader adoption and charging networks become more robust, drivers will also need to change their habits. Yes we can making charging faster and more efficient, but we also need drivers to be smarter and more efficient around when and how long they charge for. If we improve both technology and behavior this becomes a non issue.

It took me about 6 months to change my mindset and realize I did not always need to charge to 100%, which is counter intuitive when you come from driving an ICE vehicle.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
I think we have that capability already, the real challenge is that everyone keeps on thinking of EVs the same way they think of Gas powered vehicles and that is a big mistake. My guess is that half to 3/4 of the people in that line probably did not need to charge and many in the bays may have been over charging (charging well beyond the actual range we need).

As EVs getting broader adoption and charging networks become more robust, drivers will also need to change their habits. Yes we can making charging faster and more efficient, but we also need drivers to be smarter and more efficient around when and how long they charge for. If we improve both technology and behavior this becomes a non issue.

It took me about 6 months to change my mindset and realize I did not always need to charge to 100%, which is counter intuitive when you come from driving an ICE vehicle.

If 3/4 of those people dissappeared it would still be a really long line.

James

Out There
Instructor
Why doesn't the charging station monitor the charge status of the car? If there's a 500 car line, and someone pulls up with 80% charge, it should say "later". That isn't that hard, plus it does know the charging state, so it means there's no will to restrict watt hoarders. Why?

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My guess is that half to 3/4 of the people in that line probably did not need to charge

If you actually believe that, you have a really low opinion of human intelligence. I'd maybe buy 1/4, but even then, if your range says 120 miles, and you know you're 100 miles away from your destination, why would you join that horrid line?

The math just isn't that difficult.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I'd maybe buy 1/4, but even then, if your range says 120 miles, and you know you're 100 miles away from your destination, why would you join that horrid line?

I have seen displayed range anxiety in gasoline vehicles. As in: the displayed range is 40 miles, OMG we need to get gas at THIS rest stop and not at the one 18 miles later. PANIC!

I can believe half. Especially if strong range anxiety is combined with "We're committed now" sunk time cost thinking.

James

Out There
Instructor
Humans aren't logic or math based.
Or, could be faulty logic.
My question, sitting in the cold with lights on, how many miles/10 minutes wait are they using up?

Stand by for the Fish Taco Truck with a Tesla charger on the side driven by... an ice.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I have seen displayed range anxiety in gasoline vehicles. As in: the displayed range is 40 miles, OMG we need to get gas at THIS rest stop and not at the one 18 miles later. PANIC!

I can believe half. Especially if strong range anxiety is combined with "We're committed now" sunk time cost thinking.

I spent a cold night sleeping in my car in Quebec when I tried that. I got to the gas station and found that it was closed at 9 PM. On a major Interstate highway. Cold night. When I woke up there were other cars behind me waiting for it to open.

Erik Timmerman

Instructor

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I spent a cold night sleeping in my car in Quebec when I tried that. I got to the gas station and found that it was closed at 9 PM. On a major Interstate highway. Cold night. When I woke up there were other cars behind me waiting for it to open.

Similar story, except a random route 9-something in upstate NY.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier

If you're counting on that this objective is doomed to certain failure. Autonomous vehicles shared instead of owned is the only way to ensure that kind of coordination.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
79220876_10156495195016850_5266627015913504768_n.png.jpg
79220876_10156495195016850_5266627015913504768_n.png.jpg

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
If you actually believe that, you have a really low opinion of human intelligence. I'd maybe buy 1/4, but even then, if your range says 120 miles, and you know you're 100 miles away from your destination, why would you join that horrid line?

How many times has your phone battery gone instantly from 40% to dead? I wouldn’t be rolling the dice like that in the car. Even if your calculations are correct how do you know there isn’t an accident or something that requires a thirty mile detour. Nope.

Sponsor

Staff online