• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Electric Truck - Wow!

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
And how about replacing the 10,000 dollar battery?
8 year warranty on the battery, so if you really do keep the car longer than that it is something you may want to consider as batteries degrade over time. I plan to trade my Tesla in in the next year or two so will not find out what happens after 8 years
I thought you said that was for 50%. maybe triple that for a full charge?
First you never drive down to 0 charge, yo always have something in the battery. With the newer Tesla's you get a 50% charge in about 15 minutes full charge in 30-45 depending on where you start from but remember on a roadtrip you do not need to constantly charging to 100% and that last 5% is when charging really slows down. I have an older Tesla we typically only charge for about 20 minutes at a time but do so may 2 times over the course of a day's drive. We also start with a full charge and plan so we can charge overnight at our destination.

dovski

Skier
Ok, I’ll concede that Tesla might have a greater number of >50kw chargers out there, but VW is being forced to dump $2B into a CCS charging network over the next few years due to dieselgate. Walmart has announced 150kw and 350kw chargers - https://corporate.walmart.com/newsr...s-nationwide-with-plans-for-further-expansion

If I select just DC fast chargers, it looks to me like there are plenty to get around, unless you want to drive through Wyoming or the Dakotas.

View attachment 85459
Surely there is charging in the Dakotas, perhaps just not from Electrify America. Checking my ChargePoint app seems to confirm this, filtering out for J1772 plugs.

View attachment 85461

The cars themselves actually contain the chargers, so mainly this is a battle of connectors and payment methods. I also found it interesting that in Europe Tesla uses CCS connectors and there’s much greater compatibility between Tesla and non Tesla networks. It would be nice if we could all settle on one connector instead of having adapters.

At any rate, my intention was not to quibble over whose network was better, just that there is healthy competition. I personally didn’t see the Tesla charging network as the killer differentiator when there are so many J1772 compatible stations and so much investment going on now.

Completely agree, the CCS network is yet to be built, but when it is ready it will be great. In Europe Tesla is changing to the CCS standard and they have a CCS adapter, which I will be getting. Between the Tesla network and the new CCS network you really will have a lot of options for fast charging. The key is going to be cars that are built to take advantage of the higher power output, not many of those on the road yet. So you may have high powered chargers that you cannot take advantage of if your car is not built for them.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
We also start with a full charge and plan so we can charge overnight at our destination.

That's another infrastructure to be addressed. I guess every hotel and motel will need chargers for every overnight guest parking space at some point.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
And how about replacing the 10,000 dollar battery?

From an environmental standpoint, that is a real downside to EVs. Squaw and Tesla are teaming up to build a big battery storage facility (still on track?). In such an application, diminished capacity batteries could still be quite useful. (70% of a car's range is a huge hit in utility, as long as the weaker batteries are accounted for in cost and numbers a rack of 70% batteries will just take up a bit more space.) Energy storage for solar and wind is critical for the grid. A good application for old batteries?

Does fast charging wear out batteries more than slow charging? Deep cycles with fast charge rates age conventional lead acid batteries prematurely.

Eric

dovski

Skier
That's another infrastructure to be addressed. I guess every hotel and motel will need chargers for every overnight guest parking space at some point.
Many already have them even in rural areas, they just are just very slow type 1 or type 2 chargers, so good overnight while you sleep, not good for a rest stop :)

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Find_Us___Tesla.jpg

There's a new SuperCharger Station being built in Idaho Springs along I-70 between Denver and the ski areas.

I'm not sure of the reality, but I think that makes skiing with a Tesla in Colorado a lot less stressful. My perception is sole SuperCharger in Silverthorne makes I-70 skiing trips only for the more adventurous. That additional SuperCharger should really help.

Now I'm kinda interested in a Model 3 for skiing as the fun vehicle in a quiver along with a Toyota 4x4 for the worst conditions. No truck that looks like a cartoon for me!

If anyone has some ski trip experience in a Model 3, it would be great to get an update in this thread:
https://www.pugski.com/threads/tesla-model-≡.1703/

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Many already have them even in rural areas, they just are just very slow type 1 or type 2 chargers, so good overnight while you sleep, not good for a rest stop :)
I said for EVERY overnight guest, not just the handful that are currently available. If EV adoption is to succeed, EVERY motel/hotel will need full charger access for every guest family renting a room., literally like a hundred or more parking spots with chargers for larger hotel/motels.

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I said for EVERY overnight guest, not just the handful that are currently available. If EV adoption is to succeed, EVERY motel/hotel will need full charger access for every guest family renting a room., literally like a hundred or more parking spots with chargers for larger hotel/motels.

Then the parking lots will look like they did at the motels and mines when I was a kid in northern Minnesota.

But those were for engine block heaters. I suspect an amp or two more would be required for charging e-cars.

dovski

Skier
Then the parking lots will look like they did at the motels and mines when I was a kid in northern Minnesota.

But those were for engine block heaters. I suspect an amp or two more would be required for charging e-cars.
In some places this already exists. I travel to Sunnyvale for work quite a bit and it is not uncommon to see parking lots with lots of EV chargers. The hotel I stay has 10+ and growing. My companies offices have easily 50+ per building.

At work in Seattle my office has easily a hundred chargers and they keep on adding more.

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier

By the time there is such universal adoption of EVs the technology will have advanced to the point where it will not be necessary to have so many chargers. I foresee the other thing happening is there will be a lot of plug in spots but not every car will charge at the same time. All cars will plug in and a computer will control the timing of charging so that not all are charging at once. Perhaps when you arrive at a hotel and plug in you tell the computer what time you are leaving the next day and it will prioritize charging so that all cars are fully charged when needed.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
By the time there is such universal adoption of EVs the technology will have advanced to the point where it will not be necessary to have so many chargers. I foresee the other thing happening is there will be a lot of plug in spots but not every car will charge at the same time. All cars will plug in and a computer will control the timing of charging so that not all are charging at once. Perhaps when you arrive at a hotel and plug in you tell the computer what time you are leaving the next day and it will prioritize charging so that all cars are fully charged when needed.

Wireless superchargers FTW! whole freaking parking lot is a giant charging pad

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Here’s a range chart for the Model S 85 kWh models, from Tesla. Notice the mileage varies a lot, you can get good range if you go 45 on the freeway but cut that in half for going actual freeway speeds. This would apply to all EVs, they are so efficient that pretty much anything will eat away the range.

View attachment 85441

https://www.tesla.com/blog/driving-range-model-s-family

I’m game to get an EV but the range numbers should be taken with a grain of salt. If you’re hitting a mountain pass be sure to have extra juice.

So at typical freeway speeds in the western USA, you're looking at around 250-260 miles to empty?

And I suspect that means no A/C and/or heater, defroster, etc.

And IIRC you don't dare go to actual "empty".

500 miles from my garage to Sun Valley. How do I make this happen?

Finally, this thread has long departed from the Rivian that initially grabbed my interest. I'll start a new one when "first drive reports" start showing up.

James

Out There
Instructor
Norway will install the world’s first wireless electric car charging stations for Oslo taxis
An induction system for electric cabs to charge more efficiently
By Nick Statt March 21, 2019

"The project aims to install wireless charging using induction technology. Charging plates are installed in the ground where the taxi is parked and a receiver is installed in the taxi. This allows for charging up to 75 kilowatts. The project will be the first wireless fast-charging infrastructure for electric taxis anywhere in the world, and will also help the further development of wireless charging technology for all EV drivers."
https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/21/...g-electric-taxis-car-zero-emissions-induction

dovski

Skier
So at typical freeway speeds in the western USA, you're looking at around 250-260 miles to empty?

And I suspect that means no A/C and/or heater, defroster, etc.

And IIRC you don't dare go to actual "empty".

500 miles from my garage to Sun Valley. How do I make this happen?

Finally, this thread has long departed from the Rivian that initially grabbed my interest. I'll start a new one when "first drive reports" start showing up.

The newer Teslas have significantly greater range, but you would likely still have to stop at one or two super chargers on your way to Sun Valley.

As for this thread, it was about Rivian until Tesla launched the ugly truckling and then the conversation went of the rails.

dovski

Skier
Ok so I actually caved and put a reservation in for a Cybertruck on the off chance that they tweak the design to something I can stomach. I really like the form factor as It will be a great vehicle for skiing and mountain biking, plus it has the range and some other cool tech toys to boot. They have two plus years to make it pretty or change my perception of reality. I am willing to make a $100 refundable deposit to see what happens. Worst case scenario I get my money back and buy something else.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Norway will install the world’s first wireless electric car charging stations for Oslo taxis
An induction system for electric cabs to charge more efficiently

Having worked on wireless charging systems for computers/laptops/phones, I can guarantee you that this does NOT "charge more efficiently" than a wire-connected charger.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US20170279291A1/en?inventor=Patrick+Chewning&status=APPLICATION
https://patents.google.com/patent/US20160380454A1/en?inventor=Patrick+Chewning&status=APPLICATION
https://patents.google.com/patent/US20160179140A1/en?inventor=Patrick+Chewning&status=APPLICATION
https://patents.google.com/patent/US20170187220A1/en?inventor=Patrick+Chewning&status=APPLICATION

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

oh nooo, the charger at the hotel and your vehicle will be on the IoT and know themselves what you need, and at the same time your room will warm to your preferred temp, lighting to your preference and the Pizza Hut drone be on the way to your hotel knowing your order in advance. really, much of this is not far off and parts already enabled today.

Ok so I actually caved and put a reservation in for a Cybertruck on the off chance that they tweak the design to something I can stomach. I really like the form factor as It will be a great vehicle for skiing and mountain biking, plus it has the range and some other cool tech toys to boot. They have two plus years to make it pretty or change my perception of reality. I am willing to make a $100 refundable deposit to see what happens. Worst case scenario I get my money back and buy something else.

eh, the 100 bucks even if not refunded is not really a big deal especially if you ensure your order to obtain a Gov't rebate/credit (if they're still in effect for new models)

Actually quite smart as from my perspective, I'd go with the 500mi range. Note prior is current lack of infrastructure and for me, 200 or 250mi range is a no go. today picked up my kid from college on a round trip 250 mi run. Drove out and back and had no desire to stop even for 15 min en-route to refuel. Either Hybrid or the 500mi range would be my go to.

Only one supercharger en route for me ... doable but not what I'm seeking. A few more years will make a difference. Funny too, my state (Iowa) is number 2 in the country for wind energy, I'd hope a correlation would exist.

Sponsor

Staff online