• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Electric Truck - Wow!

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Trucks are good platforms for hybrids or big battery electrics. They are already big and heavy so performance is not degraded by the extra weight of big batteries. Big fancy trucks are ridiculously expensive already so another 10k for adequate capacity electric might really work. This is pretty cool.

If you actually work with the truck, electrics might make even more sense. Predictable routes mean charge planning is straightforward. Electricity does enjoy a price (and carbon) advantage from the hydro and renewable sources (fossil fuel generated power is not as cheap or clean but it's just a portion of the grid). You have a chance of paying off the the price differential.

The filthy rich Bay Area techies (sigh, want to be one) will gobble up this truck. Hopefully it will trickle down to the rest of us as the technology gets proven.

Cool development!

Eric

true on current truck pricing, the Rivian has 200hp per wheel .. 4wd. New Sierras and F150s can easily bounce to $60K .. at $90K and if one gets early (if still available) and gets $7500 deduction off, may not be a big delta for many.

course, for the price they may as well line roof with solar cells if you get trapped in boonies and dead on a charge .. in case you forget your generator.

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
course, for the price they may as well line roof with solar cells if you get trapped in boonies and dead on a charge .. in case you forget your GASOLINE POWERED generator.

FIFY! ;)

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
The pchewn ski mobile is a Kia Niro plug-in hybrid. Electric power for 8.9 KWH battery (about 26 miles), small gas engine for the range. For skiing, about 55 MPG from Portland to Mt Hood. For commuting this summer, about 180 MPG due to short trips mostly electric power. I filled up about once per month in the summer. Odometer pic from summer is showing 775 miles on 3/4 tank of gas at 180 MPG.

Front wheel drive with snow tires all around for winter (occasional chains). Regular tires for summer.

Holds me, my son, all of our gear, and two very tired grandsons.

Niro ski.jpg
Niro 180MPG.jpg

18Tired-car-ride.jpg

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
ok on the subject of Electric trucks, did anyone see Tesla's Cybertruck launch. Maybe I am just not hip with the kids but when they rolled that thing on stage I thought it was a joke. The specs sound great and the exoskeleton was pretty cool, but the truck was uuugly uuugly uuuugly .. IMHO. And the demo with sledge hammers and wrecking balls kind of lost me …. hoping the production version of the truck looks a little better as I would totally be interested in it.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
ok on the subject of Electric trucks, did anyone see Tesla's Cybertruck launch. Maybe I am just not hip with the kids but when they rolled that thing on stage I thought it was a joke. The specs sound great and the exoskeleton was pretty cool, but the truck was uuugly uuugly uuuugly .. IMHO. And the demo with sledge hammers and wrecking balls kind of lost me …. hoping the production version of the truck looks a little better as I would totally be interested in it.
I didn't see it but my 26yo son said it's aweful.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Just looked at it. I'd rather walk.
Maybe I'll put its photo in the "I have to laugh" thread.

dovski

Skier
Here is where I struggle, I like Tesla's a lot. Actually have an old Model S P85 which is awesome. Would love an electric truck in that form factor with those features at that price but …. am not worried about the cast of Mad Max coming after me with sledge hammers and wrecking balls. Also maybe I am old fashioned but I like the way classic trucks look, and find the new style Tesla introduced how shall we say …. much less than pleasant …. looks like we will stick with our ICE SUV for a few more years as my Model S just does not cut it in the mountain passes during winter

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The Tesla really is THAT ugly. Something about the super-alloy stainless steel being impossible to form into curves, hence the "folds".

Will DeLorean be receiving royalties?

dovski

Skier
The Tesla really is THAT ugly. Something about the super-alloy stainless steel being impossible to form into curves, hence the "folds".

Will DeLorean be receiving royalties?
OMG I was thinking the same thing

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
delorean-monster-truck.jpg

I do think the (actual) bulletproof glass option will catch on. People who are military gun nuts love big, tank like trucks as daily drivers. They'll pay to have that..

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
hahaha, all you laughing at Tesla and the future... I'll be easily hauling my horse to my favorite trails and polluting less

Metal Horse.jpg

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I agree with the Tesla criticism - but not for the reasons you think. Trapezoid body with a triangle front? Strong swage lines?

It's been done by just about everybody.

Tesla are doing well to bring that look back - but the truck above looks like Amateur Designer Hour.
Here are a bunch that did that look right:

Audi Coupe Speciale. 1974 concept by Frua. (I'm going to gloss over the Audi Quartz).

audi-100s-coupe-speciale-concept-frua-1974-01.jpg

Mercedes Benz CW311. 1979 by Eberhard Schulz (I'm going to gloss over the Isdera Imperator)

mercedes-benz_schulz_studie_cw311_1.jpg

2002's Cadillac Cien:

2020-Cadillac-Cien-Redesign.png

dovski

Skier
hahaha, all you laughing at Tesla and the future... I'll be easily hauling my horse to my favorite trails and polluting less

View attachment 85217
Wouldn't you pollute even less if your road your horse there :roflmao:

Joking aside, love the specs, love the form factor, actually own and drive a Tesla, just not bought into the angular design or the need to test my car with sledge hammers and wrecking balls. The tech is great, the concept is great, the design and launch were an epic fail:philgoat:

But I will say this everyone is talking about it and you clearly will not mistake a Tesla Cybertruck for anything else on the road.

dovski

Skier
I agree with the Tesla criticism - but not for the reasons you think. Trapezoid body with a triangle front? Strong swage lines?

It's been done by just about everybody.

Tesla are doing well to bring that look back - but the truck above looks like Amateur Designer Hour.
Here are a bunch that did that look right:

Audi Coupe Speciale. 1974 concept by Frua. (I'm going to gloss over the Audi Quartz).

audi-100s-coupe-speciale-concept-frua-1974-01.jpg

Mercedes Benz CW311. 1979 by Eberhard Schulz (I'm going to gloss over the Isdera Imperator)

mercedes-benz_schulz_studie_cw311_1.jpg

2002's Cadillac Cien:

2020-Cadillac-Cien-Redesign.png
Completely agree. When I saw the truck on stage I thought it was a joke. Feels like an early concept not a production vehicle. So much potential and yet so poorly delivered.

Castle Dave

Getting off the lift
Skier
$93,000 is a lot but I saw a nice looking half ton in a local dealers lot so I walked over to check it out - $83,000!!!!! for a half ton!!! Maybe $93,000 isn't so out of line.

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
Lots of misinformation and misunderstanding regarding Tesla's intent with the truck.

The design is based / inspired on the Lotus Esprit.

dovski

Skier
Lots of misinformation and misunderstanding regarding Tesla's intent with the truck.

The design is based / inspired on the Lotus Esprit.
I don’t think any of us miss understood the intent, concept is great, we just don’t like the launch event or results.

I am a big Tesla fan and owner for several years. Watched the launch live with my son. The Cybertruck design is going to appeal to a small niche and I am not part of that group.

So in short I completely understand what they were trying to do and their inspiration. I applaud them for what they have accomplished, but I do not like the final product.

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
146,000 orders in 24 hours:

Single motor – 17% of 146,000 = 24,820 orders X $39,900 = $990,318,000

Dual motor – 42% of 146,000 = 61,320 orders X $49,900 = $3,059,868,000

Tri motor – 41% of 140,000 = 59,860 orders X $69,900 = $4,184,214,000

This sums up to $8.23 Billion worth of sales in first 24 hours

Sponsor

Staff online