• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Turnoisier

Booting up
Skier
I used Therm-ic power socks for most of last season, and they made a big difference. They are slightly thicker than the socks I would prefer to use (mostly on the sole where the heating wire is, and around the toes), but they're not crazy thick.

https://www.therm-ic.com/en/skiing/39-powersock-heat-men.html

They certainly don't keep your feet toasty warm, but they do take enough of the edge off the cold to prevent numbness, pain, and subsequent loss of control. The heat pad is mostly over the ball of the foot and bottoms of the toes, I think (it doesn't reach to the end of the toes, or wrap around them). There are three heat settings (i used the middle setting the most), and the batteries do seem to last as long as claimed by Therm-ic.

Not cheap, but worth it (to me, at least), and they seem to be lasting well. Sizing was accurate.

They don't get smellier than normal socks, as far as I can tell, and they wash well - which is to say, they don't shrink, stretch or stop working after a wash...

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I bought a pair two seasons ago. I found them to be too thick, and also actually too big for my size 7, skinny feet, in the smallest size. So, I bought Hottronics, and use the heated socks to keep my feet warm if I'm outside in boots for a long period.

@AmyPJ
I'm planning to buy a pair of the 5.0 Lenz. I'm a size 8, mondo 25.5 boot, normal width foot and according to the chart should be a med. Based on your experience do you think I'm better off going with a size small? I prefer a tighter fit and only have a little space in the toe box so I'm thinking a small might be a good idea anyway.

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
We have had the Lenz heated socks for two years now and they work like a charm.

We got them at the same time we got new boots at The Boot Pro in Ludlow to make sure everything fit fine.

Worn them in -27 degrees and they kept things bearable.

Much better than heatronics in my opinion.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Do you wash these things every night and wear them the next day for the whole season? Surely they need washing at the end of the day.

How do they hold up with all that washing?

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

We got them at the same time we got new boots at The Boot Pro in Ludlow to make sure everything fit fine.

How do you feel about the sizing? Is it accurate or do you wish you got a size smaller?

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I acquired the Lenz 1.0 socks with 1200 batteries. The sizing is pretty similar to most socks, I suppose I could have sized down but I’m happy with the fit.

They are freaking amazing. I’ve been setting the at about 3 on the app and still have about 50% power remaining at the end of the day, less when it’s colder.

I’ve used them both days of a skiing/teaching weekend, just air them out a bit overnight. They don’t seem to get particularly smelly. Run them through the wash when I need to and hang to dry along with all my wool stuff, no problems.

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
How do you feel about the sizing? Is it accurate or do you wish you got a size smaller?

Sizing seems fine two years later - they seem to be holding their shape and fit.

You just need to try the different sizes and go with our seems best. Going down a size when its S-M-L-XL is a big step!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Philpug had a pair of Thermic heated socks a few years ago. They were a little more bulky than he'd like. Perhaps they have other thicknesses that we're not aware of.

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
@Philpug had a pair of Thermic heated socks a few years ago. They were a little more bulky than he'd like. Perhaps they have other thicknesses that we're not aware of.

I believe they’ve had a couple of “advances” in the past few years, so the socks being sold today are different than those sold 4-5 years ago.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I believe they’ve had a couple of “advances” in the past few years, so the socks being sold today are different than those sold 4-5 years ago.
This is my review from last year. Now, i just need to find where I put them.

UniHeat/IC1200 PowerSock Combo

thermic-socks-jpg.11881
These socks are a great option for folks who need warmth in a recreational-fit boot. Where the ThermicSoles work well in a high-performance or plug fit, these work well in a boot where there is a little more volume. While my main boot is a 97mm last, I tested these in a 100mm shell, and they took up just to the right amount of volume. There is a loss of connection to the boot but at the gain of warmth; the difference between these and the ThermicSoles is a matter of priority. The Impulse Control combined with UniHeat PowerSocks' ability to warm the whole sole of the foot cannot be overlooked, especially if you have circulation issues. Power controls are easy to operate and user friendly. The socks themselves are machine washable.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I start out with ultra thin wool socks with a new boot and then sometimes need to switch to a thin or even medium thick sock as the boot liner compresses. A heated sock doesn't allow this so I use heated footbeds.

I think the big advantage with the heated sock is their ability to also be used in non ski boot footwear. I would own a pair if I where a liftie or ticket checker.

James

Out There
Instructor

There's only been 1 time it's been that cold in recent memory and that was maybe 15 years ago. Windchill was like 40-70 below. Most places closed, like Stratton. The poma was open at Okemo, then the lower chair which closed after not long. Took one run. It was like another planet.

Some people are using the heated socks and the hot tronics foot warmers.
Ten years ago, I met a guy, not skiing, but he had heated socks that used a D battery.

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
I have been a happy customer of Gerbing's for years for heated gear.
Their heated vest is just the best but their heated socks are too thick for ski boot use.
I use the 12 volt motorcycle oriented clothing since that is where I first started in with my electricity habit.
Usually, I can stay warm using boot gloves and the heated vest but this is not enough for the below zero weather we are experiencing.
I think I'm going to put some Hotronics heating elements in my boots and hook them up so I can power them from the heated vest.
I run the vest off of a 3S, 8000 mAh naked LiPO usually used for a professional drone.
At half power, which is usually plenty, this setup will run for 2-3 hours.
Since the naked LiPO battery will be ruined by over discharging, I monitor it with a Venom battery monitor which alarms when things are about done.
I carry the battery in a small fanny pack so I can ditch it if it should choose to explode......naked LiPOs do that sometimes.
Hillbilly for sure, but it really works....

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The Lenz 1.0 are thinner than their other socks, though they are thicker than my thinnest Point 6 ski socks. I just got new Intuition liners for my Tecnica’s, and asked my boot fitter which socks I should use after the modeling/fitting process. He had me wear a pair of thicker socks he provides for cooking/cooling/fitting, and suggested I just use the heated socks and not be concerned about the Intuition liners packing out. I suppose some stock liners could pack out more and using the thinnest socks early on would be more consequential.

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I ordered a pair of the Lenz 5.0 in medium this morning. Hopefully they're the right fit and I won't have to exchange them.

I have new and very good fitting Hawx Ultra 130's and all of my foot but the toes is warm, even when skiing in single digit temps. I've had issues with cold toes for a few years now and I think my only solution was either heated socks or going back to Hotronics. At least with the socks I can wear them for other activities.

Roundturns

Getting off the lift
Skier
I'll weigh in regarding the Hotronic heated socks. I went to the shop to upgrade to the newer more powerful Hotronic batteries and the shop owner said they didn't even carry the Hotronic batteries and sold only the docks.
Said the Hotronic battery with the socks could provide more warmth longer. I bought a pair and was concerned about wearing the sock. For multiple days of skiing.
Sounds like my clothing hygiene is lacking but I have skied in mine about six times for a couple hrs per session and so far odor free. I don't put them on until I get to the hill. I have pretty tight boots (26 shell Raptor with a 10.5 street shoe)
I don't feel the socks are too thick .
Will buy a second pair ($90) to switch out.
Feet are warmer than before with Thermic batteries. Like the product, but pricey at $269. But I don't enjoy pop sickle toes and these socks keep that from occurring
We have had a good number of really cold mornings here at Seven Springs too. Below zero temps multiple times.

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The socks arrived yesterday. I'm glad I went with my normal size and didn't size down. They fit my foot well and if they were any tighter I'd be worried about damaging the wiring while putting them on. The material around the toe is thicker than all of my other socks but they still work with my boots. The toe box is more snug than it was but no discomfort and when I'm actually skiing the toes will pull away and it'll be fine. Plus, my boots are new and only have one day in them so they'll pack out a bit.

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
The socks arrived yesterday. I'm glad I went with my normal size and didn't size down. They fit my foot well and if they were any tighter I'd be worried about damaging the wiring while putting them on. The material around the toe is thicker than all of my other socks but they still work with my boots. The toe box is more snug than it was but no discomfort and when I'm actually skiing the toes will pull away and it'll be fine. Plus, my boots are new and only have one day in them so they'll pack out a bit.

After 20+ washes the ones we have keep ticking along just fine. Just make sure not to put them in dryer - they don't seem to take very long to air dry.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
$299 is a hefty price. I could buy 2 hotronics sets for that much money... Glad my feet stay really warm in my boots....

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
$299 is a hefty price. I could buy 2 hotronics sets for that much money... Glad my feet stay really warm in my boots....

Actually, the 5.0 socks are $350 but who's counting? ogsmile

I had Hotronics. They worked well until the cables broke and one battery wouldn't take a charge any longer. That was after just a couple of seasons. I know Hotronics work well for lots of people but my experience wasn't great and it felt like it would be throwing good money after bad. I'll try these for now.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January