• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I'm thinking about switching over from Hotronics, what do you guys think of the electric socks?

Michael Kane

Kano
Skier
My wife thinks the Boot Doc/Hotronic ones are the bomb. In addition to skiing she can use them elsewhere, like when we go horseback riding. She has convinced me to get a pair.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I saw some in another thread that are supposed to be great. Can't remember the brand but they were about the same price as hotronics, about $200 a pair. Was thinking about getting some for Robin, but at that prcie we will stick with chemical toe warmers.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
If you ski six days in a row, do you wash these things every night?
How do they hold up under repeat washings?
I ski usually 4-6 days in a row every week.
I can't afford four-six pair.

Last edited:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I bought a pair two seasons ago. I found them to be too thick, and also actually too big for my size 7, skinny feet, in the smallest size. So, I bought Hottronics, and use the heated socks to keep my feet warm if I'm outside in boots for a long period.

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
I bought a pair for my wife last year, but she didn't like them. They were just too thick and didn't have enough elasticity to stay up. I took the heating element out of the socks and attached it to the footbeds instead. The actual element is only about three inches long, so only heats the toes anyway. I ran the cord up the liner and attached the battery pack to the booster strap. Now they work well!

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
It heats only the toes? Wow, what a disappointment. I thought "heated socks" meant the entire sock was heated.
The idea of "heated socks" is certainly good for folks who have cold feet. Sounds like the reality is less than the promise in this case.

Having a handyman around the house (for the other person in the house who isn't a "handiman") is a very, very good thing.
Good for you for finding a way to adapt the heating elements so they are useful.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@AmyPJ, do they stretch, like regular socks? Do the wires seem likely to break inside them?
They do stretch, maybe not as much as normal ski socks. I can't speak for the wires because I haven't used mine enough. I'm inclined to think they won't break easily, though.

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I have some of the Lenz socks, and they are pretty bulky. They do work in boots where I packed out the liners, though. I just ordered some of the thinner Lenz, in a smaller size. Will report back.

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
I was looking at Lenz in the store. Weird thing about them is that on the thinner sock the wire runs over your instep instead of under the arch like it does on the thicker sock.

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I was looking at Lenz in the store. Weird thing about them is that on the thinner sock the wire runs over your instep instead of under the arch like it does on the thicker sock.

Interesting. I might like that. The same thing happens to me with boot heaters: when I'm standing on the element, it burns my skin but doesn't always quite get the heat to the inside of my foot (ie the part that's cold). This could help that.

Viking9

Out on the slopes
Skier
Epic I don’t know what you mean by ELECTRIC socks but I have the Lenz in their thinnest version and I am very happy with them.
I keep hearing people talk about how thick they are and I’m wondering if they are in the latest and thinnest version.
If you have circulation issues to me they are really not that thick and a deal breaker.

Viking9

Out on the slopes
Skier
Oh I forgot, two years ago I was in Sun Valley on the warm springs side and that popular shop right next to the lifts sells them and I asked the guy how they were selling, some of us like confirmation on our equipment, and he sells a lot of them and nobody returns them.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
FYI, Ski Essentials carries Lenz. They also have a review of them.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid