• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

eBike Electric MTB---Wow!

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
"Screaming for unfettered access to public lands..." you mean Scott Pruitt and the oil industry???

Personally, I am ALL FOR banning bikes from Wilderness (capital W). I think horses should also be banned... and probably shoes. If you want to head into wilderness, it should be in a loin cloth barefoot. Nature needs a 'safe space' from humans.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
My concern isn't that people get more access using e-bikes but that they get over their heads. Most of the e-bikes around here are rentals and when people rent enabling gear (like e-bikes and 4wd vehicles) they find themselves in trouble for which they aren't prepared. Too far out, too difficult terrain, too fast for their ability.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just teasing....
But it must have hurt a little until you spotted the battery pack

Definitely. I mean, I'm well aware that I'm no speedy cyclist, especially on climbs but this was ridiculous. :roflmao:
I have a friend who is a former pro cyclist and extremely fit and has had this happen to him. I'm pretty sure he was shocked far more than I was.

*Imagines @coskigirl waving her fist shouting 'mechanical doper'!*

EXACTLY! :D

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
So how many watts can this geezer get essisted and @coskigirl will still out ride me? Perhaps that should be the determining level for allowing ebikes on trails. I probably need 250 watts to keep up. Wait, at Colorado elevations I need more! Not fair riding with fit people - unless I get ehelp.

Eric

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
My concern isn't that people get more access using e-bikes but that they get over their heads. Most of the e-bikes around here are rentals and when people rent enabling gear (like e-bikes and 4wd vehicles) they find themselves in trouble for which they aren't prepared. Too far out, too difficult terrain, too fast for their ability.

I cas see the speed being a concern combined with the fact that the rider is in a bike 1.5-2X heavier than it's non e counterpart which creates more momentum to maneuver.

Are these motorized mopeds? Not really, they were motorcycles than had pedals..that never really got used. These are bikes (at least the non throttle ones) that the electric assist does work unless you are peddling. The path speed is a concern on how fast these can come up behind someone but that is also a concern with a bike just coming up behind someone hiking/walking. Will we see speed limit signs on trails? Who wlll enforce them?

As far as the "mechanical doping"..who is it hurting...it is not a competition or race. Are these people not having fun? Is their fun at someone else expense? Are these riders "cheating", if so who exactly are they cheating?

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
At what point is a "motorized vehicle" a motorized vehicle? Because in Ontario, if it has a motor it's subject to the Highway Traffic Act..unless it's not..because it's electric..but that doesn't apply to electric cars... You want a motor? Stick to the road and the motocross track..

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So how many watts can this geezer get essisted and @coskigirl will still out ride me? Perhaps that should be the determining level for allowing ebikes on trails. I probably need 250 watts to keep up. Wait, at Colorado elevations I need more! Not fair riding with fit people - unless I get ehelp.

Eric

Oh I'm slow and have asthma so you probably wouldn't have any issue keeping up with and passing me. Now if you got with @dondenver or @Ron it would be a different story.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
a different story.

You've reminded me - this thread needs a mechanical doper smiley.

10333121_569221289857982_87099692_n.png

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
The path speed is a concern on how fast these can come up behind someone but that is also a concern with a bike just coming up behind someone hiking/walking. Will we see speed limit signs on trails? Who wlll enforce them?

As far as the "mechanical doping"..who is it hurting...it is not a competition or race. Are these people not having fun? Is their fun at someone else expense? Are these riders "cheating", if so who exactly are they cheating?

They are racing them but it is a level (figuratively) playing field.

http://road.cc/content/news/237244-apparently-professional-e-bike-racing-going-be-thing-now-video

Disparate speeds on the rec path are already an issue with walkers, skate boarders and bikes (fast and slow). We have speed limits on them already and an e-bike is prohibited under the 'non-motorized' rule on the rec path. Even powered wheelchairs are technically prohibited.

TS
newfydog

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Speeds are something the rider has control of. At 63, I don't go any faster on that e-bike than I did as a 28 year old categorized racer. I actually go slower in the downhill direction, and on the flats the motor cuts out at 19mph. Both the young racer version and the new, old, electric assisted version of the biking Newfy pass people in a safe and respectful manner.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I do ride for exercise as well as fun. A motor adds another potential mechanical failure on what is already a complex system. But also, I don't think this bike would help my biggest issue, which is apprehension about technical features. Wouldn't this bike make it harder to lift front and rear wheels? Might not the increased weight make it harder to prevent tipping after a dab? Maybe I'm missing the point, because people ride dirt bikes all the time...?

For me, the ease of spinning could actually be a downside . I stopped road riding because the uniform pedal stroke irritated my knees.

scott43

Skier
They are racing them but it is a level (figuratively) playing field.

http://road.cc/content/news/237244-apparently-professional-e-bike-racing-going-be-thing-now-video

Disparate speeds on the rec path are already an issue with walkers, skate boarders and bikes (fast and slow). We have speed limits on them already and an e-bike is prohibited under the 'non-motorized' rule on the rec path. Even powered wheelchairs are technically prohibited.
This is kinda like the F1 "we need faster lap times" argument. Why? Can anyone in the stands see the difference between a 1m23s lap and a 1m21s lap?? No..but they sure can see when one car can't pass another for 20 laps because the aero wake won't allow them to.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
This is kinda like the F1 "we need faster lap times" argument. Why? Can anyone in the stands see the difference between a 1m23s lap and a 1m21s lap?? No..but they sure can see when one car can't pass another for 20 laps because the aero wake won't allow them to.

I understood your paragraph but have no idea how the analogy fits.

uniform pedal stroke irritated my knees.

Hmm.

Last edited:

scott43

Skier
I understood your paragraph but have no idea how the analogy fits.

Hmm.
Presumably the racing would be faster but what's the point? Everyone gets the same benefit so who cares? I have trouble thinking of anything as pointless..except maybe short track speed skating...?:huh:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Presumably the racing would be faster but what's the point? Everyone gets the same benefit so who cares?

Ah.

I see faster lap times in Formula as analogous to growth in capitalism. You have to show progress or it's provably a zero-sum game.

That said, e-bike tech is nowhere nearly mature enough for zero sum within an arbitrary ruleset to be a concern.

except maybe short track speed skating...?:huh:

Pffft :P Short track is to long track like dishwasher liquid concentrate is to white vinegar.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

I understand, but after 3 professional fits, apparently my knees don't track straight. The variability of trail riding, lots of body English, etc seems to help. Could also be geometry differences between the types of bikes.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I understand, but after 3 professional fits, apparently my knees don't track straight. The variability of trail riding, lots of body English, etc seems to help.

Sure, np. I was mostly just intrigued that you seem to have come to terms with completely foregoing road.

Could also be geometry differences between the types of bikes.

Certainly. *leaves THAT can of worms firmly shut - in this thread ;) *

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Sure, np. I was mostly just intrigued that you seem to have come to terms with completely foregoing road.

I honestly never liked it in the first place - car exhaust, risk of getting hit (always a few fatalities around here every year), no rocks and roots to distract me from the slog ...