• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
here is a good ebike point of veiw from the mtn bike reviewer on Blister. I happen to agree with his POV which motivated me to post the link.

http://blistergearreview.com/featured/pinkbikes-efailure

"...By closely associating eBikes with regular pedal bikes"

Well, the ones I have seen ARE closely associated with bikes. In some cases they use identical wheels/tires, gears (rear), shifters, handlebars grip, seats etc . Some eBikes are indeed another creature but the MTB ones are pretty much identical. The key thing is not to be an a-hole out on the trails (that applies to anyone even on foot) and going uphill on an ebike at 15mph on a steep hill certainly qualifies as such.

That said its a good read and raises some important concerns.

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Just assembled bike #5. A friend borrowed one to go fishing at a remote spot. He thought he might be getting a bit old for the trip. Bought a bike immediately upon returning.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Here's an article on using e-mtn bikes for accessing high country fly fishing.

Yesterday we had a moving time of 9.5 hours to fish a lake for 90 minutes. They definitely have their place.

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I picked up a 7 lb steelhead. Normally we would have just done our best to keep it cool in the 85 degree heat until we were done for the day, but with the ebike I did the 10 mile trip out and back to put it on ice. Got back with time and energy to hook another one.

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
I picked up a 7 lb steelhead. Normally we would have just done our best to keep it cool in the 85 degree heat until we were done for the day, but with the ebike I did the 10 mile trip out and back to put it on ice. Got back with time and energy to hook another one.
I hope it had a clipped adipose.:hail:

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We are excited to see the new Eofferings for 2019 at Interbike in September.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I just spend the last few days riding the Cannondale Moterra and I will just keep coming back to the fact that the bike and e-bikes in general are just fun. What I have come to realize that it is not at the cost of a good work out either. Everyday I took the bike out I came back litterally 1.5 to 3 pounds lighter after each ride. Two of the three rides were around 11 miles and the last one was 15 miles with an average of 1,500 ft of climbing. I know that these numbers are not uncommon for many riders here but for me, they were defiantly out of my comfort zones. I can say that if was out on my Trigger, I am sure the miles and vert would have been significantly less.

What is most fun with the Moterra was the switch backs on the climbs, exellerating through the turns was just a blast. What I also liked with the Moterra was that I could take a wrong turn and even if I went a bit out of my way, I would have the energy to get back. What is also surprising is how little of the power I actually used, of the four settings, Eco, Tour, Sport and Turbo, I used Eco 85% of the time and the Tour mode,15%. I NEVER went into Sport or Turbo once. To get into the debate, there is no need to have the powoer that some of these bikes have, for a mountain bike application, I see no reason to need reason for a 25MPH top end with assist, 10...mybe 15MPH would be more than sufficient, this would lower the weigh of the motors, more efficient batteries for longer distances and more acceptability. Speaking of range, the first two days of riding was about 22 miles, after completing both days, I had just used up the 4th of the 5 power bars.

Here are pics from my two Peavine rides:
yTf6mfkQREeF0jYmPsn5nA.jpg
58601991991__26044697-FB8A-4562-A59C-3C44EBE522EF.JPG

I am glad I had my @KULKEA MicroPack with my tools to fix my first flat of the year.
Cz1K7rYNTcyqPRNAhk6dgQ.jpg
LL4tDSpgRwe8sNl%eZuqAQ.jpg

From the Tahoe-Pyramid Trailways and the border. I will say, of the sections I have ridden, the 3 miles west of Vedi is by far the worst and toughest, 1,500 feet of climbing on fire roads, grueling, unrewarding adn not fun at all.
b2rDorlhSQCGhu3FrKQG5Q.jpg
gRTFG%g4Tq2xPwYWQehByA.jpg

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
I just spend the last few days riding the Cannondale Moterra and I will just keep coming back to the fact that the bike and e-bikes in general are just fun. What I have come to realize that it is not at the cost of a good work out either. Everyday I took the bike out I came back litterally 1.5 to 3 pounds lighter after each ride. Two of the three rides were around 11 miles and the last one was 15 miles with an average of 1,500 ft of climbing. I know that these numbers are not uncommon for many riders here but for me, they were defiantly out of my comfort zones. I can say that if was out on my Trigger, I am sure the miles and vert would have been significantly less.

What is most fun with the Moterra was the switch backs on the climbs, exellerating through the turns was just a blast. What I also liked with the Moterra was that I could take a wrong turn and even if I went a bit out of my way, I would have the energy to get back. What is also surprising is how little of the power I actually used, of the four settings, Eco, Tour, Sport and Turbo, I used Eco 85% of the time and the Tour mode,15%. I NEVER went into Sport or Turbo once. To get into the debate, there is no need to have the powoer that some of these bikes have, for a mountain bike application, I see no reason to need reason for a 25MPH top end with assist, 10...mybe 15MPH would be more than sufficient, this would lower the weigh of the motors, more efficient batteries for longer distances and more acceptability. Speaking of range, the first two days of riding was about 22 miles, after completing both days, I had just used up the 4th of the 5 power bars.

View attachment 77815 View attachment 77818
I am glad I had my @KULKEA MicroPack with my tools to fix my first flat of the year.
View attachment 77819 View attachment 77820

From the Tahoe-Pyramid Trailways and the border. I will say, of the sections I have ridden, the 3 miles west of Vedi is by far the worst and toughest, 1,500 feet of climbing on fire roads, grueling, unrewarding adn not fun at all.
View attachment 77816 View attachment 77817

People still use tubes? The rest I agree with 100%.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
People still use tubes? The rest I agree with 100%.
We are running tubeless on our own bikes but I am sure you are aware most new bikes are tubeless ready as the Moterra is.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier

View attachment 77815 View attachment 77818
View attachment 77819 View attachment 77820

View attachment 77816 View attachment 77817
I agree that the top end isn't needed, especially on a MTB. But I'd imagine part of it is a) the battery needs to be that big for range and to accommodate rigorous climbing to get back home and b) the regs allow 25mph so if you limit it it seems like a "weak" bike.

a) is definitely subjective and debatable though. I totally agree that any slimming that can be done on these is desirable.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I agree that the top end isn't needed, especially on a MTB. But I'd imagine part of it is a) the battery needs to be that big for range and to accommodate rigorous climbing to get back home and b) the regs allow 25mph so if you limit it it seems like a "weak" bike.

a) is definitely subjective and debatable though. I totally agree that any slimming that can be done on these is desirable.
B) we are in such a "more (power) is better" society.

Not sure of your second a.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
B) we are in such a "more (power) is better" society.

Not sure of your second a.
Part of your first comment is another thing that bothers me a bit about power-assist bikes. Because we need more giant batteries in the world...and more things to dispose of all because we've gotten so used to power everything, and everything being made EASIER (yes, I realize alpine skiing is part of that, too.)

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
So today I passed a couple of people at the top of the climb. One said to the other “E-bike, that’s what we need”. At first I was insulted but then decided it was a compliment ;)

I guess my tool bag looks like a battery...
1BEA48EF-A5C2-4E86-8DE4-399E3A548D68.jpeg

I’m ready to try one as soon as the opportunity presents itself :bikewheelie:

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So today I passed a couple of people at the top of the climb. One said to the other “E-bike, that’s what we need”. At first I was insulted but then decided it was a compliment ;)

I guess my tool bag looks like a battery...

I’m ready to try one as soon as the opportunity presents itself :bikewheelie:
Doesn’t sound like you need one.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don’t think I would look at an e-bike as a replacement but more as a new and different activity.

Same. I feel like I've aged out of dirt biking (life long thing), and that a long-travel mtb might just replace it in the next few years.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Don't remember who it was, but someone disagreed with my comment that I'm getting the same exercice on a e mountain bike as on a regular bike.

Counting calories, on a regular mountain bike, 180 mm travel e mountain bike, or skinning, i use 500-600 calories an hour, which is my limit of exertion, without going all out.

So, yeah, if you look at vertical feet, I'm using less energy, but I'm an hour, the same.

The difference is that in an hour on the e bike, I'm getting twice the Downhill!

Sponsor

Staff online