• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The problem is everyone's interpretation of the spirit of the law is different. The letter of the law is clear. If folks don't like the letter of the law there are mechanisms to change it.

Some e-MX riders seem to think the spirit of the law also lets them ride on mountain bike trails:

That's an awesome e-machine. It's silent and doesn't pollute, but it doesn't belong on mountain bike trails. Either do 750-watt e-bikes, IMO. I like @WadeHoliday idea of 50-100 watts max for mountain bike trails, particularly trails that are shared with hikers and equestrians. Make them have similar output to human-powered mountain bikes.

Where is the line drawn?
The line is already dream. Class 1, already defined and accepted in Europe.

And what law are you taking about?

There isn't one.
There are some land managers that were caught sleeping at the wheel and the easiest thing to say is no, without any research

And it doesn't matter that you don't want to call electric ones mountain bikes

They are here to stay and in a few years most people will ride them. On single track.

Everywhere.

WadeHoliday

Out on the slopes
SkiTalk Tester
I sure hope Rod's predictions are incorrect, and can't really see why "most" of us would ride ebikes. Maybe the newbies that really don't want to take the time to get fit an need instant gratification, but I've seen many fads in Mt Biking over the last 30 years and I believe this one will be just that as well.

I predict that ebikes are a gateway drug to real power, and ebikers will end up on KTM's before long and head out to the OHV areas and leave the singletrack to those that enjoy nature a human pace, hikers and trail riders.

Cheers!
W

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I sure hope Rod's predictions are incorrect, and can't really see why "most" of us would ride ebikes. Maybe the newbies that really don't want to take the time to get fit an need instant gratification, but I've seen many fads in Mt Biking over the last 30 years and I believe this one will be just that as well.

I predict that ebikes are a gateway drug to real power, and ebikers will end up on KTM's before long and head out to the OHV areas and leave the singletrack to those that enjoy nature a human pace, hikers and trail riders.

Cheers!
W
At what point does a fad become a trend? Talking to customers coming in the shop, the people considering eMountain Bikes are not newbies but riders considering adding to or replacing their current bikes but still are in a wait and see mode, for lighter weight and longer range but they are strongly considering one as their next bike. I spent some time with Randy, the owner of College Cycles in Reno which has been there for 30 odd years. He is a certified trail builder in the area and his shop is as old school as they come (think Start Haus for bikes) and he is a huge avocate for eBikes and has one now as his main and olny mountain bike. This is someoen who could ride anything. He invited me to the Eastern Sierra Trail Coalition summit to be held in Carson City in the middle of this month. I will be attending and I am sure that eBikes are very much on the agenda.

As far at it being gateway drug...is marijuana a gateway drug? Is alcohol a gateway drug? If someone has an addition problem...chocolate can be a gateway drug.

Question Wade, I think it is fair to say that I cannot keep up with you on a bike. If we were to go out for a ride now, it would not be fun for either of us. You would have to wait repeatedly for me and I would be struggling, stopping less than I would feel comfortable doing and getting fatigued along with feeling bad that I am making you wait for me. If I was on an e-bike...we would be going at your pace, and chances are both of us would be enjoying the experience. I am not sure what would be wrong with that.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
At what point does a fad become a trend? Talking to customers coming in the shop, the people considering eMountain Bikes are not newbies but riders considering adding to or replacing their current bikes but still are in a wait and see mode, for lighter weight and longer range but they are strongly considering one as their next bike. I spent some time with Randy, the owner of College Cycles in Reno which has been there for 30 odd years. He is a certified trail builder in the area and his shop is as old school as they come (think Start Haus for bikes) and he is a huge avocate for eBikes and has one now as his main and olny mountain bike. This is someoen who could ride anything. He invited me to the Eastern Sierra Trail Coalition summit to be held in Carson City in the middle of this month. I will be attending and I am sure that eBikes are very much on the agenda.

As far at it being gateway drug...is marijuana a gateway drug? Is alcohol a gateway drug? If someone has an addition problem...chocolate can be a gateway drug.

Question Wade, I think it is fair to say that I cannot keep up with you on a bike. If we were to go out for a ride now, it would not be fun for either of us. You would have to wait repeatedly for me and I would be struggling, stopping less than I would feel comfortable doing and getting fatigued along with feeling bad that I am making you wait for me. If I was on an e-bike...we would be going at your pace, and chances are both of us would be enjoying the experience. I am not sure what would be wrong with that.
Nothing wrong with that.

I ride a lot, but I'm not that fast. Now i can ride with friends that were much faster than me, uphill.

WadeHoliday

Out on the slopes
SkiTalk Tester
Phil above,
"Question Wade, I think it is fair to say that I cannot keep up with you on a bike. If we were to go out for a ride now, it would not be fun for either of us. You would have to wait repeatedly for me and I would be struggling, stopping less than I would feel comfortable doing and getting fatigued along with feeling bad that I am making you wait for me. If I was on an e-bike...we would be going at your pace, and chances are both of us would be enjoying the experience. I am not sure what would be wrong with that."

I don't see anything wrong with that image, sounds fun!

Your point is great one, and I also think it's a big part of where I believe my disconnect ist.
Friends have asked me the same thing, if I rode and ebike, would it be more fun for us to ride together so you aren't standing around or riding at half speed all the time?
I think this social side, mixed with the humans natural aversion to the pain fo climbing hard is where ebikes have great potential.
So where is the disconnect? Based on my rides on ebikes and what I've seen with todays products, in a normal non techy climb, you'd drop me like a dead weight. These bikes have double the wattage of my body, and as Mike said in his lead up, are much faster then pro level riders without motors on the way up. Then, if we were on real mtb trails with rocks twist turns etc, I may drop you on the way down, as lighter, more agile bikes can be quicker (I do pass quite a few ebikes going down). So, with products as they are, my riding buddy would wait on the ups and I'd probably wait on the downs.

That is part of why my argument is that this tech could be even better if they created products for what I call, a more human pace.
Is that adding 50-150 watts for 3-4 hrs and only adding a few more lbs to a bike, so the bikes are actually more agile and playful when riding techy terrain?
Seems with something like that, uphill can be less painful, more fun for all and when pointed down, the handling is more similar, so you can bunny hop, work through "trailsy" moves and not "jump like a penguin" as Mike says in his review.

Your quote I mentioned earlier about less weight and lower power from Epics thread on "ebikes and drones" was along these lines as well.

I do believe a product like this would calm trail issues like speed differential that can cause collisions and trail conflict, and also creates less trail damage as braking forces are lower with less weight and speed.

Re the meeting: I look forward to seeing what you hear, I do think that Reno may be a place where ebikes can make more sense for many, big desert terrain, lots of straights, not to twisty/turny techy, so it will be interesting to see how they go. That said, the main trail building group up there is not on point on how to build great mtb trails and according to a couple of friends, don't listen to experienced riders and trail builders. That is a different group though, podunks?

Let's ride and test the theory, up keystone and down the N downhill trail next week?

Cheers!

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Phil above,
"Question Wade, I think it is fair to say that I cannot keep up with you on a bike. If we were to go out for a ride now, it would not be fun for either of us. You would have to wait repeatedly for me and I would be struggling, stopping less than I would feel comfortable doing and getting fatigued along with feeling bad that I am making you wait for me. If I was on an e-bike...we would be going at your pace, and chances are both of us would be enjoying the experience. I am not sure what would be wrong with that."

I don't see anything wrong with that image, sounds fun!

Your point is great one, and I also think it's a big part of where I believe my disconnect ist.
Friends have asked me the same thing, if I rode and ebike, would it be more fun for us to ride together so you aren't standing around or riding at half speed all the time?
I think this social side, mixed with the humans natural aversion to the pain fo climbing hard is where ebikes have great potential.
So where is the disconnect? Based on my rides on ebikes and what I've seen with todays products, in a normal non techy climb, you'd drop me like a dead weight. These bikes have double the wattage of my body, and as Mike said in his lead up, are much faster then pro level riders without motors on the way up. Then, if we were on real mtb trails with rocks twist turns etc, I may drop you on the way down, as lighter, more agile bikes can be quicker (I do pass quite a few ebikes going down). So, with products as they are, my riding buddy would wait on the ups and I'd probably wait on the downs.

That is part of why my argument is that this tech could be even better if they created products for what I call, a more human pace.
Is that adding 50-150 watts for 3-4 hrs and only adding a few more lbs to a bike, so the bikes are actually more agile and playful when riding techy terrain?
Seems with something like that, uphill can be less painful, more fun for all and when pointed down, the handling is more similar, so you can bunny hop, work through "trailsy" moves and not "jump like a penguin" as Mike says in his review.

Your quote I mentioned earlier about less weight and lower power from Epics thread on "ebikes and drones" was along these lines as well.

I do believe a product like this would calm trail issues like speed differential that can cause collisions and trail conflict, and also creates less trail damage as braking forces are lower with less weight and speed.

Re the meeting: I look forward to seeing what you hear, I do think that Reno may be a place where ebikes can make more sense for many, big desert terrain, lots of straights, not to twisty/turny techy, so it will be interesting to see how they go. That said, the main trail building group up there is not on point on how to build great mtb trails and according to a couple of friends, don't listen to experienced riders and trail builders. That is a different group though, podunks?

Let's ride and test the theory, up keystone and down the N downhill trail next week?

Cheers!
I actually think that, at least my e mountain bike is more fun downhill than my specialized Enduro.

Of course i have 180 travel front and rear, but the weight helos it go faster. I don't find it to be less nimble on rocky technical single track. As a matter of fact, it's more fun in flat Rock gardens, like fast Eddie's, because with one pedal stroke you pick up speed again.

WadeHoliday

Out on the slopes
SkiTalk Tester
So,
I am thinking that maybe I am somewhat disconnected from the current trends in mt biking.
I don't believe ebikes are really cycling, and e mt bikes aren't really mountain biking, they are more of a hybrid between mt bikes and motorcycles and that is fine.

I was thinking about the discussion in this thread while riding one of my favorite rides today, tahoe meadows to chimney beach over marlette peak.
While people like me and Mike (OP) will not likely be on ebikes anytime soon, I can see plenty of reasons why people are liking them. For one, with the current crop of mountain bikers, of which there are an amazing amount (I figure mountain has increased by at least 20 times in lake tahoe in the last few years), many of these riders do not enjoy the feelings the come from breathing hard that many of have come to embrace... for instance, My 18 yr old daughter and her boyfriend spend much of their time shuttling or riding northstar, and shuttling is very popular up here. I even had my daughter drop me today, as this ride is much better as point to point (20 miles, 2k climbing, 4k descending). As I rode it today, in November.... I passed at least 50 riders! 50, and not flume trail type riders, people with high end bikes and all the right gear. I'm pretty quick for a 50 yr old (2hrs on this ride today), but most are not really working too hard, they enjoy cruising. I was thinking this lighter pedaling version of biking is very popular now, and another reason why ebikes may be gaining traction.

I also pulled up this video, and while the debate isn't what I'm thinking about, seeing these 2 dicing it up on the descents lends some credit to Phil and Rob's thoughts.

I also see how skiers transferring their movement passion for mt bikes in summer leads to enjoying easier ups and more instant gratification.

Anyway, selfishly for a lifer on these trails, I still hope land managers see this extra speed and weight as a liability for long term trail stewardship, multiple trail user groups and maintenance, but I understand the draw and realize I will continue to see more on trails that allow them. I'll still chuckle as I pass them going downhill, it feels good. Just like passing fully kitted DH guys on my hardtail single speed used to make me grin, but that is self congratulatory twattle.

I also still believe lighter, lower powered bikes would make more sense for enjoying the mountains as we've done for years, albeit with less suffering, but I think Epic is right in his assessment that technology and companies that sell it rarely go that direction. Practicality doesn't sell. My version of this world won't be flying off the shelves i guess.

Last point, I still think if riders work hard for long enough to to see the positive changes in their bodies and minds, they will continue to embrace the suffering associated with human powered locomotion on mt bikes. But that sounds like me jumping on my soap box as well.

I look forward to our ride Phil, I think this guy on the ebike kinda looks like you, and the guy on the mtb may even look a bit like me, just 20 years younger...

Cheers!
W

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I still maintain that you can get more exercise on an e bike, because you can ride longer. And if you select lower assist, your max heart rate would be similar.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I still maintain that you can get more exercise on an e bike, because you can ride longer. And if you select lower assist, your max heart rate would be similar.
I will avoid this blanked statement regarding the exersize, I will say, you get out of it what you put into it.

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I don't believe ebikes are really cycling, and e mt bikes aren't really mountain biking, they are more of a hybrid between mt bikes and motorcycles

We all ride our own styles. To me the ebike is 90% mountain biking, 10% motorcycle. (I've done plenty of both) I once did an entire ride on the highest power just to see the battery life. It wasn't any thrill, and I'd describe it as too much motorbike, and a lousy motorcycle at that..

Shuttle and lift serviced mt biking is about 60% motorcycle, 40% mtb in my book. That is just me. I don't find extended downhills to be that great as a stand-alone activity , and even on the ebike, sometimes I climb a good route up into the mountains, and then just zip down the paved road home.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

I don't really buy into that completely, but it does open the door to a topic that really interests me, and relates to e-bikes. Apologize in advance for what might be a long read.

There is mounting evidence that as you age, really long efforts at really high heart rates are not doing your overall cardiac health any good (peruse the excellent writings of Leonard Zinn in VeloNews for more on this).

I feel this as I age. At near 60, after almost 20 years of pretty serious endurance mtb racing, I now feel about the same level of fatigue after a "brisk" 4 hour ride than I used to after a 6 or 7 hour full-on training ride. Dammit.

But I still want to do those really long, really tough almost-training rides, and this year I've started wondering whether an e-bike might be the answer. Not ready yet, but I will be really interested in following their curve of progression over the next five years, because I've put one on my mental 65th Birthday Present List.....

Whew, in the 18th inning, he brings it around to e-bikes, the topic at hand! :D

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I think you should ask Ned Overend about this. He probably has an opinion on e-bikes too.

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think you should ask Ned Overhand about this. He probably has an opinion on e-bikes too.

Well, Ned is a thoroughbred.

I'm a donkey. A very fast donkey, but alas, still a donkey!

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
I think you should ask Ned Overhand about this. He probably has an opinion on e-bikes too.

Not sure his opinion is relevant to most middle aged people of declining fitness.

Though i did see him pedaling thru Durango once and that was cool.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Yeah, I'm sure these won't hurt the trails (when they are ridden on trails). Note the roost at 1:45.

Hellcat ---> Demon

WadeHoliday

Out on the slopes
SkiTalk Tester
Hum,
good riding, entertaining,
but,
trail condition curmudgeon here again.
Lots of locked up rear wheel shots in this add, nice skidding dude, some off trail cuts, yuck.
for me, those things damage trails even more than ebikes.
stupid add intense, Jeff should know better.

I had dinner last night with a buddy, ex pro downhiller, super talented bike rider and also moto guy in Reno, and his position is that once again, it's about the rider more than the bike. if ebikers figure out the trail etiquette and, stay in in the trail bed, don't skid like this stupid add and yield when they should, maybe we won't have any issues..

and, ride where you are allowed to ride... see note below...

I saw a young guy on a "haibike 180" on the tahoe rim trail between mt rose meadows and tunnel creek today, with a sheepish/guilty look on his face. Rob?

Cheers,
W

Last edited:

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Hum,
good riding, entertaining,
but,
trail condition curmudgeon here again.
Lots of locked up rear wheel shots in this add, nice skidding dude, some off trail cuts, yuck.
for me, those things damage trails even more than ebikes.
stupid add intense, Jeff should know better.

I had dinner last night with a buddy, ex pro downhiller, super talented bike rider and also moto guy in Reno, and his position is that once again, it's about the rider more than the bike. if ebikers figure out the trail etiquette and, stay in in the trail bed, don't skid like this stupid add and yield when they should, maybe we won't have any issues..

and, ride where you are allowed to ride... see note below...

I saw a young guy on a "haibike 180" on the tahoe rim trail between mt rose meadows and tunnel creek today, with a sheepish/guilty look on his face. Rob?

Cheers,
W
Not me I'm 69. Rod

Sponsor