• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
So, our Scott rep dropped an e-Spark 710 off for a few of us to try. I like cool stuff, I like bikes, this thing is pretty cool and is sort of a bike... this should be fun!

The Ride- The e-Spark is a Shimano Steps powered, 27.5+ wheeled, 130/120mm travel ebike. Shimano XT level components make it go and stop, Fox suspension (and dropper post) makes it bounce up and down. https://www.scott-sports.com/global/en/product/scott-e-spark-710-bike

One of my coworkers and I went out for a rip last night after work to give it a shake-down to see just what it could and couldn't do. The 'problem' was, one eBike and two riders of different sizes... how are we going to do this? The solution was let's go ride with one of us climbing a technical trail on our 'regular' bike while the other person took the e-Spark for a rip across an XC ski trail to a machine built climb then back down-> across the XC trail and up the climb the other rider was on. Then descend together on the 'technical trail' to see what a 50ish pound bike could do on eastcoast singletrack. At the bottom we would pass off the ebike and let the other rider get his personal bike. Basically, from playing around in the parking lot of the shop we knew there was a zero percent chance of the conventional bike hanging with the ebike on climbs, so 'riding together' just would not be an option. After our little test, we were 100% right. It would take a WC XC rider to even come close to hanging on on any climb with a conventional bicycle. No mortal human of similar bike handling skill would stand a chance of keeping up. None.

What can it do? Absolutely fly uphill. I knew it would be fast on the 'flow' climb, but I thought it would be a bit of a pig on tight singletrack... it isn't. What I thought would be it's Achilles heal was actually it's single biggest strength- technical climbing, where having the 'reserve power' to get a few hard pedal strokes in to explode up and over an obstacle, while gassed from climbing- well, this just makes that irrelevant. First, you aren't gassed from climbing. Second, there is no 'climbing' on this thing. There is 'uphill riding', but no 'climbing'. Also 'explode up and over' comes via Shimano electric power. "Skill" is a lot easier to apply when you aren't hypoxic. I was climbing at 15 to 18 mph on the machine built trail and 10 to 15 on the tech climb... I average around 3 mph on these on my bike. So, it's somewhere between 4 to 6 times faster uphill, for me.
It goes downhill pretty darn fine also. My coworker has very similar 'skill' but the 'techy singletrack trail' is not a trail he likes to ride down, the corners are pretty janky, lots of loose gravel ball bearings mid turn. The trail is also littered with basketball sized rocks that are half buried and not gonna move if hit. It's a trail that I enjoy, he doesn't. Precision and a light touch are what get's you down this trail fast. When we are both on our own bikes I can drop him pretty much at will on this trail (there are other places he drops me, this trail just plays to my strength). On our descent with him on the e-Spark he was all over my back tire, I could NOT drop him. When we switched bikes I did not feel faster on the downhill, I felt a bit slower honestly, but not by much at all. The difference is he pedaled out of every corner, my 'game plan' on this trail is get through the corners quick, stay on line by hopping over the rocks in my line and build speed by pumping the backside of the rocks on my way by. Not really what a 50 lbs ebike does well.

What can't it do? It's not nimble and it flies like a penguin. I've never ridden moto, so I am not use to a bike with this kind of inertia. I have plenty of experience with DH bikes, but they don't feel like this. The Scott carries it's mass extremely low and centered on the bottom bracket and downtube... that should be good? Not in this case, not for me. For me, once in the air it went exactly where it was pointed before lift-off, there was no line manipulation in the air. Buy the ticket, take the ride.
The Scott suspension kinematics work great, for a bike with 120mm of travel, it felt deeper, It makes this bike extremely capable as a 'trail bike', good suspension and plus tires really makes for a capable ride. What it isn't is 'rewarding'. It made everything really, really EASY. A 'successful' climb for me involves making it to the top... yeah, I don't climb well. The thing is, when I do feel 'on', it feels great. Making a crux mid-climb or making a climb faster really, for me, is the most rewarding part of mountain biking. If you asked me what I like best, I'd say "descending"... but secretly, feeling like I 'got better' on a climb makes me feel the best about myself after a ride. It's what stays with me and makes me want to ride again tomorrow. This bike kind of took that away from me. Carving uphill berms at 17 mph is amazingly cool, sure, but that's not 'me', it's the motor. Another funny thing about the BOOST is- it doesn't work very well at low cadence hard pedaling. It works best when you spin a high cadence with very little effort. Adding 'human power' slows the bike down. It works best by riding it like a stationary bike at the gym, make the pedals go around and keep a quick tempo, don't try to pedal particularly hard (and don't let the cute girl catch you checking her out... even though that's the real reason you are on the stationary recumbent in the first place... 'cause this sure isn't exercise). If you let the cadence drop you loose the assist, pedaling harder doesn't add anything.

What would I want it for? This bike would be amazing for exploring new areas where I want to see everything but am not sure about which directions things ride best in. It just doesn't matter if you are going up a down or down an up (as long as the trails are not directional). You could get multiple days worth of riding into a single day. No climb would be boring (or intimidating).

What is this thing? Seriously, what the heck is it? It's fun. It's fast as hell. It is NOT a bicycle. It isn't. No one would ride this thing without the battery. Anyone who says they would is lying. Sure the pedals need to turn for the motor to work, but it encourages not pedaling hard and it's a freakin' motor. The pedals are the throttle, they aren't locomotion. It won't help get you fit, any more than having a workout routine that consists entirely of: 'don't sit on the couch eating ring dings' will get you fit. It's a nice start to getting active outdoors... but it is way more Segway than running shoe. I think a lot of these puppies are going to be purchased with great intentions- "I'm going to really do it this time, I'm going to ride this every weekend and really get in shape. You'll see!" The same way gym memberships works... except if you go to the gym, you get results. This is an electric rollercoaster. It's thrilling for a bit, but it's doing all of the hard work. Once the 'thrill' wears off, it's a slow electric motorcycle with pedals for a throttle. Would I want one? Yup, if money was absolutely not a consideration and I could have anything I desire, sure. Absolutely, yes. I think I'd find ways to use one. Would I own one instead of my bicycle? No way. My bike makes me feel weak and inept, not good enough, not worthy. Except every once in a while, when the stars align and I ate a healthy breakfast, I do something 'good' and my bike confirms I'm not all bad. That feels really good.

Should they 'Share the Trails'? I honestly do not know. They are very, very different from conventional bicycles. The speed uphill combined with the electric motor hum seems like a recipe for 'user conflict' to me. On my bike I can see and hear anything coming down toward me as I climb. On this I was going uphill as fast as I descend, so my focus was narrowed and my hearing was impaired a bit. I think there are ways to 'work around' this, but it would take a fair amount of work. New trail designs with longer sight lines, more directional trails, etc. Who should be responsible for all of this work? The same folks doing the trailwork now? That seems unfair. There is also a reason all of the parts on an eBike are 'eBike rated'- the tires, the wheels, chain, brakes, fork... there is a lot more force going through those parts. Does that automatically mean more trail damage? Nope. But it sure isn't going to have less impact. Will eBikers step-up and do their share of the hard work? Here in the USofA we are about to find out, I suppose.

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What can it do? Absolutely fly uphill. I knew it would be fast on the 'flow' climb, but I thought it would be a bit of a pig on tight singletrack... it isn't. What I thought would be it's Achilles heal was actually it's single biggest strength- technical climbing, where having the 'reserve power' to get a few hard pedal strokes in to explode up and over an obstacle, while gassed from climbing- well, this just makes that irrelevant. First, you aren't gassed from climbing. Second, there is no 'climbing' on this thing. There is 'uphill riding', but no 'climbing'. Also 'explode up and over' comes via Shimano electric power. "Skill" is a lot easier to apply when you aren't hypoxic. I was climbing at 15 to 18 mph on the machine built trail and 10 to 15 on the tech climb... I average around 3 mph on these on my bike. So, it's somewhere between 4 to 6 times faster uphill, for me.
Great perspective. Question, on your climbs, you mentioned that you were going 3-5 times faster, were you trying to go faster or were you using the same output if you were to use on a traditional mountain bike?

What can't it do? It's not nimble and it flies like a penguin.
Thats funny right there, I don't care who you are. :roflmao:

Should they 'Share the Trails'? I honestly do not know. They are very, very different from conventional bicycles. The speed uphill combined with the electric motor hum seems like a recipe for 'user conflict' to me. On my bike I can see and hear anything coming down toward me as I climb. On this I was going uphill as fast as I descend, so my focus was narrowed and my hearing was impaired a bit. I think there are ways to 'work around' this, but it would take a fair amount of work. New trail designs with longer sight lines, more directional trails, etc. Who should be responsible for all of this work? The same folks doing the trailwork now? That seems unfair. There is also a reason all of the parts on an eBike are 'eBike rated'- the tires, the wheels, chain, brakes, fork... there is a lot more force going through those parts. Does that automatically mean more trail damage? Nope. But it sure isn't going to have less impact. Will eBikers step-up and do their share of the hard work? We are going to find out, I guess.
Again, very fair. As far as who is going to do the trail work? I think it will be the same percentage of people...both from regular bikes to ebikes, and IMHO a good percentage of the latter will be from people who migrated over from regular bikes. In talking to the people that are considering ebikes MTBs, the vast vast majority are already mountain bikers. the people who are considering their first bike or the exploring the technology are people looking at city or other smooth tire options.

TS
Mike Thomas

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
Great perspective. Question, on your climbs, you mentioned that you were going 3-5 times faster, were you trying to go faster or were you using the same output if you were to use on a traditional mountain bike?

Thats funny right there, I don't care who you are. :roflmao: credit where credit it is due- this was my co-riders line.

I was trying to 'see what it could do', so I was trying to go as fast as I could. The output, honestly, felt like riding on a slight downhill grade. Easy speed with very little pressure going into the pedals. I climbed two climbs that leave me gasping for air at the top and always getting off the bike to catch my breath and regroup... on the Scott it was just... nothing. I felt a slight increase in my breathing and I did do work, it wasn't like being a passenger. It just wasn't hard or vigorous. It was like power walking, it's exercise but it doesn't feel like sprint training or a crossfit workout.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Phil - Mike told me that his short was soaked from sweat from riding his bike first, by the top on the E-bike, his shirt was noticeably drier. So he was turning the pedals, but not working hard enough to sweat.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
A 50 pound bike just sounds unpleasantly heavy regardless of whatever drive system. I actually don't enjoy mountain bikes that much because the ones I've gotten to ride were fairly heavy.

I picked up a friend's mountain bike a week ago. Wow! It might have been only 20 pounds (no idea what the actual weight was but it was light!). Cost more than a good used car but that's not the discussion here.

The motor and battery shouldn't weigh 30 pounds. Maybe 10 with a pretty big battery. Less should be possible. So an ebike could weigh in at the same as a normal mountain bike. Might cost more than a new car but what an incredible machine and riding feel that would be. No penguins!

I hope these bikes are accepted and the development continues. They just sound fun!

Eric

TS
Mike Thomas

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
Eleeski, your friends bike almost certainly weighs more than 20lbs, if it is a mountain bike. If you add suspension and a dropper post. It’s tough to get below 25lbs. The weight is well worth it, if you ride technical terrain. If not, gravel bikes are pretty amazing. I don't understand how you think adding a motor + battery pack + controls + reinforce all of the parts that need to deal with enhanced power- the wheels, tires, brakes, fork, etc. to a mountain bike and get "less should be possible. So an eBike would weigh in at the same as a normal mountain bike." I'm no rocket surgeon, but that seems... improbable.
I don’t know the actual weight of the Scott, it isn’t massively heavy but it’s not light or nimble. Honestly, my first pedal around the shop, I didn’t find the ‘on’ switch and thought it was ‘working’... it does pedal pretty good... for a pig.

Last edited:

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I remember this episode of GCN involving eBikes vs. pedal-bikes. It's more towards the roadie market, but I seem to remember they reached the same conclusion -- i.e., it would take world-class power to keep up:

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
With 120 mm of travel, of course it doesn't feel like a downhill bike.
Try a 180 mm specialized, that's pretty close to a downhill bike

TS
Mike Thomas

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
So I took it out to ride the most heinous climb/ hardest trail in Stowe. I'm not going to name it, because it's not on any maps, but it is the type of trail that I normally ride once every couple of years. Afterward, I remember how horrible it is, and I stay away for a few seasons... then eventually wander back seeing if it got better...

I just obliterated the KOM's on the two primary climbs. Crushed. I took over 3 minutes from a guy who was a pro road racer less than 5 years ago, on a climb that I cleaned in just over 10 minutes. 25% faster than a guy who was paid to train and race bikes? Me? No, it's the motor. I've never made that climb before, it normally is a 40 minutes hike-a-bike. The upper climb is also 'unrideable', insanely steep switchbacks with no grade reversals, nowhere to recover just punchy power move after punchy power move... yup, KOM.

I rode the entire loop in under 50 minutes. With my bike I'd be out for 3+ hours. With my bike I probably wouldn't have ridden that trail, because I rode it last year and I still remember...

I might go for a regular bike ride in a bit, because 'why not?' I'm not tired.

Last edited:
TS
Mike Thomas

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
With 120 mm of travel, of course it doesn't feel like a downhill bike.
Try a 180 mm specialized, that's pretty close to a downhill bike

What? I don't understand your point. It is an extremely capable trailbike. I just rode it on EWS level terrain, it can hang. It doesn't JUMP like a DH bike, in the air. The DH bike is better at landing. The Scott flies weird, again, for me. I think it is due to where the weight is concentrated, it goes where it was pointed at take-off, I don't have that issue on a DH bike, travel isn't the issue, inertia is. It just feels weird jumping. More time on it and I'm sure I could get it sorted, but it's not a "Strength".

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
A 50 pound bike just sounds unpleasantly heavy regardless of whatever drive system. I actually don't enjoy mountain bikes that much because the ones I've gotten to ride were fairly heavy.

I picked up a friend's mountain bike a week ago. Wow! It might have been only 20 pounds (no idea what the actual weight was but it was light!). Cost more than a good used car but that's not the discussion here.

The motor and battery shouldn't weigh 30 pounds. Maybe 10 with a pretty big battery. Less should be possible. So an ebike could weigh in at the same as a normal mountain bike. Might cost more than a new car but what an incredible machine and riding feel that would be. No penguins!

I hope these bikes are accepted and the development continues. They just sound fun!

Eric
We are seeing full suspensions in the upper 37lb range for next season and with most FS bikes already being right around 30lb..IMHO this is pretty acceptable. By doing this, less assist and smaller batteries will be sufficient. I agree with what @tball said early on, I don't think the max speeds that the bikes have now is needed, 10MPH for the climb should be sufficient and if the weight of the bike is kept down, the assist wont be as much of a drain on the battery either, thus a smaller battery will all that will be needed.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We are seeing full suspensions in the upper 37lb range for next season and with most FS bikes already being right around 30lb..IMHO this is pretty acceptable. By doing this, less assist and smaller batteries will be sufficient. I agree with what @tball said early on, I don't think the max speeds that the bikes have now is needed, 10MPH for the climb should be sufficient and if the weight of the bike is kept down, the assist wont be as much of a drain on the battery either, thus a smaller battery will all that will be needed.
Phil, I think a 170-180 mm bike is still over 50 lbs

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Phil, I think a 170-180 mm bike is still over 50 lbs
Yes, they are but they are pretty specialized bikes. I doubt there will be too many bikes with this type of travel than will be E assist

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yes, they are but they are pretty specialized bikes. I doubt there will be too many bikes with this type of travel than will be E assist
In France, a lot of riders buy long travel e bikes

TS
Mike Thomas

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
The idea of a self-shuttle long travel sled is intriguing, sure, but I would want to stick to a ‘trail/ enduro’ eBike. Then again, we don’t have free ride style “winch and plummet” riding here. If we did my choice would likely change.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Phil - Mike told me that his short was soaked from sweat from riding his bike first, by the top on the E-bike, his shirt was noticeably drier. So he was turning the pedals, but not working hard enough to sweat.
PLEASE PLEASE PLEEEAAASE, lets not have a "Wet Shorts Meter". EVER.

TS
Mike Thomas

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
I said 'shirt' I'm guessing Erik meant shirt and got auto corrected.

... But I'll do the wet shorts meter if you do the 'tight in the shorts' meter, Mr 'my ski boots feel better than my cycling shorts'.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
less assist and smaller batteries will be sufficient. I agree with what @tball said early on, I don't think the max speeds that the bikes have now is needed, 10MPH for the climb should be sufficient and if the weight of the bike is kept down, the assist wont be as much of a drain on the battery either, thus a smaller battery will all that will be needed.

I don't think that is the way this is going to go. I mean look at the Dodge Hellcat. 700-something horsepower, so what do they do? Dodge Demon! I really don't see E-bike owners being like, "yeah, this is cool, but it would be better if it was slower".