• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Accessories Electric motor kit from Eco-Cycles

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
I recently put an electric motor kit on a friends high performance recumbent trike. (Ice Adventure full suspension trike, about $4k.)

I got a TONGSHENG TSDZ2 torque sensing 36 volt motor and a 7 amp-hour battery (water bottle style) from Eco-Cycles, https://www.eco-ebike.com/ along with the display and necessary extension cables, and 152 mm crank arms ('bent riders like short crank arms). It was a rather easy install. Eco-Cycles also sells Bafang kits, but they say that the Tongsheng is smoother for torque sensing.

We like the result. The motor does a smooth job of sensing the torque the rider puts into the pedals and delivering power biased by the five-level power switch the rider controls. It doesn't have a throttle, so no need for cut-off switches on the brakes; when the rider stops pedaling the motor cuts out and the bike coasts. I'd get another of these kits if another friend wants to electrify his bike. It's too soon to know yet about battery life and things like that. So far, so good.

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
A couple of years ago I saw an electrified tadpole trike on the rail trail here. Neat setup for an older rider. He really liked it.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Wendy
    Resurrecting the Oxford comma
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January