• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Eldora skiing death - Bill Brockmueller

skix

Out on the slopes
Skier
Bill Brockmueller, a young man from Sioux Falls who was attending the University of Colorado at Boulder, crashed at Eldora last week and has now died of his injuries.

Boulder DailyCamera: http://www.dailycamera.com/ci_32324217/cu-boulder-student-dies-after-crashing-into-tree

The University of Colorado student who last week crashed into a tree while skiing at Eldora has died.

Bill Brockmueller, 26, was taken off a ventilator Monday afternoon and died shortly thereafter, according to a caring bridge.org post by Emily Crider, Brockmueller's campus minister.​

Eldora's ski patrol was called at 3:45 p.m. Dec. 4, after Brockmueller reportedly crashed into a tree while skiing without a helmet. He was airlifted to Boulder Community Health's Foothills Hospital in critical condition.

Crider wrote Brockmueller sustained serious head, back and leg injuries, and was placed in a medically-induced coma while doctors tried to reduce brain swelling.​

Sioux Falls paper: https://www.argusleader.com/story/n...ueller-dies-colorado-ski-accident/2283437002/

Bill Brockmueller, 26, a Brandon native, was one of the most decorated student athletes at USF as a three-time NCAA Elite 89 Award recipient and All-American when he competed at USF from 2010 to 2015. He set a school record in the 10,000-meter run and helped lead the men's team to a program-best second-place finish at the NSIC/US Bank Indoor Championships in 2015 by winning both men's 3,000- and 5,000-meter runs.​

Many will seize on the lack of a helmet but there's little evidence skiing helmets consistently save lives in tree crashes. I think it's safe to say that anyone skiing among the trees is taking a risk they may lose their life in a tree collision. It's awful that in this case the victim is so young but from reading the stories about him he lived his life fully while he was here. R.I.P.

Last edited:

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Many will seize on the lack of a helmet but there's little evidence skiing helmets consistently save lives in tree crashes. I think it's safe to say that anyone skiing among the trees is taking a risk they may lose their life in a tree collision.

One does not need to be tree skiing to impact a tree.

TS
skix

skix

Out on the slopes
Skier
One does not need to be tree skiing to impact a tree.

Very true. It's easy to forget just how close are the trees on the other side of the rope on many trails.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
In fact, I would bet someone a round of brews the majority of tree fatalities do not happen while tree skiing.
I wouldn't bet against you on this one.

As for Bill Brockmueller....sad

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow, that kid was something else! Graduated summa cum laude with double major in Math and Computer Science at Univ of Sioux Falls, MS in Physics from Brown Univ, awarded NCAA scholarship for Doctoral studies in Physics at Univ of Colorado, accomplished distance runner at USF (NCAA DII All-American, 10k time 30:43, mile time 4:12), held a leadership position in a Christian mission group and spent six months serving in Africa.
https://usfcougars.com/news/2018/12...passes-away-after-tragic-skiing-accident.aspx

Sponsor

Staff online