• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

SamR

Booting up
Skier
Hi! I have read posts on Pugski for over a month, and have seen some Pugskis stickers on lift towers, but this is my first thread here. I'm 26, 5' 10" and now 240 lbs. I consider myself to be an East Coast expert skier and an advanced skier at Jackson Hole. I ski glades, moguls, and groomers. When there's enough cover in the East I like to focus on trees, but I often mix in some groomer-only runs to give myself a breather. I'll lap the groomers if there is not enough natural cover. When I ski groomers I generally like to have fun making rapid turns rather than racing down, and sometimes I'll do old school sliding turns to mix things up (quick video clip example ).

I'm interested in the Elan WIngman 82 CTI as an East Coast ski. Pugski member Tony S has raved about this ski, although he is smaller and lighter than me. I am alternatively considering the Blizzard Brahma 82, since it sounds like it does well in the trees and moguls; and also the Volkl Deacon 84, since it sounds very beefy and durable, and I really enjoy skiing their M5 Mantra as a ski for out West.

I've exclusively skied my Rossignol Experience 88HD skis in the East for the past four years. I also skied them out West until I got the M5 Mantra this year, . They've skied great, but I have given them some abuse, and I've kind of skied them to death. I noticed that an edge underfoot came off in Jan. I paid $120 to get that fixed, but the issue reoccured after skiing some thin cover glades at Killington in March (images attached). I think it's time to get something new and durable, and am happy to hear your suggestions.

Attachments

• MicrosoftTeams-image (1).jpg
    MicrosoftTeams-image (1).jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 73
  • MicrosoftTeams-image (2).jpg
    MicrosoftTeams-image (2).jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 90

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Andy Mink who is 5'10" 220 also raves about the Wingman, but the 86. Lets see if we can get him to chime in. That Deacon 84 that you mention is a great option too. I would also not dismiss the Fischer RC4 86 GT.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I've skied a couple runs with @Andy Mink. He is a big guy but doesn't bully the ski; he interviews it, assuming positive intent, like Terry Gross.

Based on your post I suspect you might find the Wingman too subtle. Demo and find out.

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
My favorite this past season for an all mountain on-piste resort ski in the 80-85mm or so range was the Stockli AR and Liberty V82. The new Liberty Evolv 84 should also be promising. Other skis in the low to mid-80's I'd consider would be the Fischer RC One GT 82 or 86, Head i.Titan/e.Titan and Monster 83, K2 Disruption Ti 82, Kastle MX84, Nordica Spitfire 80, Renoun Atlas 80, Salomon S/Force Bold 84, Volkl Deacon 80 or 84. The Blizzard Brahma 82 is liked by many, but I did not click with that ski.

Unpiste

Booting down
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've skied a couple runs with @Andy Mink. He is a big guy but doesn't bully the ski; he interviews it, assuming positive intent, like Terry Gross.
:roflmao: (I love the description!) This is definitely the key to a good relationship with a pair of skis. Give them a little time to tell you what they like to do, and then go for it!

@SamR, If you enjoyed the E88 and don’t mind spending the money, I’d absolutely recommend taking a look at the Stormrider 88. The sidecut is a little less aggressive (so won’t engage quite as quickly as the 88), but the ski is still a mean carving machine if you want it to be. It’s also quite stable at nearly any speed. The E88 certainly isn’t bad in that respect, but the SR88 just takes things a little further.

Based on your skill and build, I also wouldn’t hesitate to consider the Brahma. I’m a bit lighter, but probably a bit more advanced, and I absolutely love the Bonafide as a west coast ski. If I had to choose, it would definitely make the “anywhere, any time” list (which I just made up), as would the SR88 — easily. I’ve never tried the Brahma, but I feel pretty confident listing it (either width) along side those skies.

Unfortunately I haven’t actually skied an Elan ski, ever I think, so can’t really speak for the Wingman (in any width). (Nothing against Elan, just never really had the opportunity.)

Last edited:

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Based on your post I suspect you might find the Wingman too subtle. Demo and find out.

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Tony, I am so very proud of you. :golfclap:

TS
S

SamR

Booting up
Skier
I was planning to demo some skis at that Snowshed demo center at Killington, but of course coronavirus got in the way. I have read good things about Stockli skis on this site, although those plus a new pair of boots are a bit on the pricy side.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Hi Sam, another Killington skier here, 6'6", 225 lb, advanced intermediate. My all mtn ski is an older Elan 88 XTi, so the Amphibio concept doesn't bother me at all. I've about killed this ski taking me from low intermediate to where I am now. Skis I would like to demo next year are the Wingman 86 and RC One 86 GT. They sound like good options for us big guys. Skies I demoed over the years that I liked were the old Motive 86, Experience 88 and 94 Ti, and a Dynastar Legend 96 (they didn't have the 88). I was surprised I liked the Head Monster 88 so much, but my Elans are more like it than those French skis. If I was going to rip the groomers all day, that is the ski I would buy. Still, I'm looking for an all mtn ski that does better in the ungroomed, so I trying to stick closer to that model. If you liked your current (destroyed!) E88HD, why not try the new Ti model? They can be had on nice discount now if you look hard enough. Of course, we have to ask you if your boots are up the the task and well fitted?

BTW, we usually have a Killington thread every season, so look for that next fall. Maybe we'll run into each other some day!

SkiSpeed

Getting off the lift
Skier
I have the Brahma 82s and they are great for the east; they are also pretty burly and w/proper sizing should be plenty of ski for you. I hope you’ll also consider them.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am an NE skier, race background, expert, and your weight. I am 6" taller, FWIW.

So I read your post twice, and I got the impression you are looking for a 1 ski quiver for the east coast that will cover all mtn duty. I have a quiver of 10 skis, so maybe I am a bad influence here. But I can pass along what skis work for me and where they work best. If you want to narrow the focus to low 80mm wide skis, then I don't actually own any, but I have 3 that are just on either side of that class.

The first ski that comes to mind in that class is the K2 Ikonic 84 TI. If I could only have one ski for NE, that would be my pick. My favorite NE tree ski is the Liberty Origin 96. It does fine on groomers with a race tune to increase edge grip. It is a free ride all mtn ski, though, not a carving based ski. The others are:

Stockli Laser AX, 78mm (I own this ski)
Head Monster 83 mm
Brahama 82mm (I own the 88mm Brahama)
Enforcer 82?mm
Fischer RC one GT 86mm
Salomom X-Drive, 88mm (I own it, but not good in trees)

Here is a pic of my quiver if you want to ask about any other skis.

The Elan Wingman has not been on my radar as I view that as not a ski for a clyde, but I don't know much about it (other than Tony's posts) so I could be way off. I would want to hear from someone who is a clyde that has skied it, though, before believing it works well for clydes.

Here is a post I did when looking for a NE front side daily driver.

Attachments

• IMG_20200508_175824058.jpg
    IMG_20200508_175824058.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
TS
S

SamR

Booting up
Skier
Still, I'm looking for an all mtn ski that does better in the ungroomed, so I trying to stick closer to that model. If you liked your current (destroyed!) E88HD, why not try the new Ti model? They can be had on nice discount now if you look hard enough. Of course, we have to ask you if your boots are up the the task and well fitted?

@Marker I was thinking about E88 TI at first, but felt it would be too similar to the M5 Mantra that I got this year. I only used that ski in Jackson Hole this year, but was thinking that I would use it in the East when there is a big snowpack. I wouldn't want something too different, such as a pure carving ski, since I do appreciate having some versatility for moguls or trees, and don't want to carry two pairs of skis for one trip.

No my boots are not up to the task. I have Salomon X-pro 100s that I got 5 years ago. The foam from the liners disintegrated behind the heels in 2018. I used tissues and trail maps to plug the space until someone at Smugglers sold me a used set of these wraparound intuition liners. The shop heat-molded them, but they are painful compared with the original liners. They are either constricting or they let my ankles float around.

TS
S

SamR

Booting up
Skier
I have the Brahma 82s and they are great for the east; they are also pretty burly and w/proper sizing should be plenty of ski for you. I hope you’ll also consider them.

@SkiSpeed The Brahma 82s do stand out since they are only meant for flat bindings. I have never been on a ski with flat bindings. My E88 HDs have Rossi bindings on demo plates, the M5 Mantras have nice Griffon bindings on demo plates, and the first ski I ever owned, the Salomon X wing 6, had system bindings. Do you notice a difference by being on flat bindings, or do you think the effect is overstated?

SkiSpeed

Getting off the lift
Skier
@SamR, I only have plates on my race skis. I use Look Pivots on my Brahma 82’s, 88’s and Liberty V 92’s. I don’t miss the plates.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Rather than race plates. I believe @SamR is talking about demo binding tracks.

FWIW, the griffon and Attack demo bindings are very close in terms of performance and feel. Other demo bindings may not exhibit the same qualities.

Coolhand

Getting off the lift
Skier
I'm similar size (6'1", 250#) and ability as the OP. I tried the Wingman 82 CTi in a 184cm and the Wingman 86 CTi in 178cm. The 82 was a little soft for me, but the 86 was money. The Wingman 86 CTi and Fischer RC One 86 GT were my two favorites in that Genre of skis. Also liked the RC One 82 GT and Volkl Deacon 84 Ti.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Marker I was thinking about E88 TI at first, but felt it would be too similar to the M5 Mantra that I got this year. I only used that ski in Jackson Hole this year, but was thinking that I would use it in the East when there is a big snowpack. I wouldn't want something too different, such as a pure carving ski, since I do appreciate having some versatility for moguls or trees, and don't want to carry two pairs of skis for one trip.

No my boots are not up to the task. I have Salomon X-pro 100s that I got 5 years ago. The foam from the liners disintegrated behind the heels in 2018. I used tissues and trail maps to plug the space until someone at Smugglers sold me a used set of these wraparound intuition liners. The shop heat-molded them, but they are painful compared with the original liners. They are either constricting or they let my ankles float around.
New boots for you, then skis. ;)Your BSL might change if you go flat skis. I have Look Pivots on my Elan's, never had a pre-release, always let go when they should!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
FWIW, the griffon and Attack demo bindings are very close in terms of performance and feel. Other demo bindings may not exhibit the same qualities.
Along with having a negative delta, the Griffon (and other Marker demos) are some of the lowest stack height demos with the Tyrolia being the highest. I don't think that can be dismissed when talking about the performance and feel difference.

TS
S

SamR

Booting up
Skier
New boots for you, then skis. ;)Your BSL might change if you go flat skis. I have Look Pivots on my Elan's, never had a pre-release, always let go when they should!

Ah fair enough! It is a bit more tempting, being at home so much and with retail ski stores closed around here, to browse end of season ski deals on Corbetts and other sites instead of waiting to get fitted for boots.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Ah fair enough! It is a bit more tempting, being at home so much and with retail ski stores closed around here, to browse end of season ski deals on Corbetts and other sites instead of waiting to get fitted for boots.
Yes, and bootfitting next season will be challenging in this environment as discussed on another thread here. I'm glad I got my boot issues resolved by the end of last season!

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Same size and weight and I’ve never been disappointed with the Stockli AX. I ski the East and every time I change out to another ski, first run I always say wish I had the AX. I ski the 175 and only wish it was a little shorter in tight bumps. With your style of skiing you may want the 168.

Sponsor

Staff online