• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks, Neon. I can Google. I just wondered if there was first-hand feedback from known suspects here on Pug.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Elan themselves have been saying for half a year the difference is an extra layer of carbon fiber on top of the wood core to add a touch of dampening, stiffness and rigidity. Topsheet different too of course.

So it would still be very similar to the regular RipStick models but a hair damper and stiffer. Weight wouldn’t change much though.
- correct not much, RS 96 Blk Ed 1550g @181cm vs 1610g @181cm for the standard RS 96, (even less of a difference between the two 106's), yet I'm finding good to very good reviews and recomendations on the Black Ed 96 and just mediocre WRT standard RS 96.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
- correct not much, RS 96 Blk Ed 1550g @181cm vs 1610g @181cm for the standard RS 96, (even less of a difference between the two 106's), yet I'm finding good to very good reviews and recomendations on the Black Ed 96 and just mediocre WRT standard RS 96.

Good sign then that the construction of both skis are indeed similar except for the added carbon. Skis even between a left and right pair can vary 60grams.

Carbon can be used to save weight in skis like touring models by replacing heavier weight fiberglass sheets around the core for lighter weight fiberglass and end up with the same stiffness because of the added carbon fiber. The issue is that carbon fiber is not as good for vibration dampening as the heavier fiberglass so the lighter touring layup might be the same stiffness but not as damp.

Ski models using carbon stringers or fiberglass with carbon infused into the fiberglass weave with the same fiberglass weighs would add stiffness and rigidity, more energy and more days till the ski losses it’s pop.

Seems like what Elan is doing with these skis. Adding carbon without going to lighter fiberglass weights in response to the common complaint of the RipStick line which is that it’s a fun, playful ski but too soft and unstable at higher speeds especially for heavier skiers.

I’m sure it would would help for those on the fence for those that liked it but didn’t love it but it’s still a very light ski so it still won’t be a crud destroying, high speed charger. It should be an improvement of a light, fun ski that now should have a higher limit for speed and weight of the skiers that might like it.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thanks, Neon. I can Google. I just wondered if there was first-hand feedback from known suspects here on Pug.
Hey @Tony S, check out the 2020 DPS Wailer 100 Alchemist RP review SkiEssentials just posted. Quelled my interest in the Ripstick 96 Blk Ed., and it's frontside prowess.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Hey @Tony S, check out the 2020 DPS Wailer 100 Alchemist RP review SkiEssentials just posted. Quelled my interest in the Ripstick 96 Blk Ed., and it's frontside prowess.

Certainly a compelling review. (Thanks, Jeff.) Would love to try it. I'm sure I'd like the ski in the woods, etc. Without a demo I'm not convinced it's what I'm looking for.

Sophisticated construction or no, I have found that skis with that kind of relatively abrupt and high amplitude tip splay don't work well for me in cruddy situations, even at modest speeds. It's why I don't ski my TSTs much anymore. Some mfrs try to compensate by making the tips stiff, like the Fischer Ranger. That hurts their compliance in bumps, IME. YMMV.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
skis with that kind of relatively abrupt and high amplitude tip splay

Well, now that I look at profile pics of the Elan and the DPS, they don't look that different, so clearly I have no idea what I'm taking about. :rolleyes:

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Just as a little extra info. on the Ripstick 96. Comments on softness, boring etc. are appropriate comments for certain skiers.

Just to add a different perspective. As I am a 77yr old skier, last year it was noticeable that I was not initiating turns in the powder as I used to. The hunt for new ski's began. To make the story shorter - demo about 5 different skis and then tried a friends 181 Elan Ripstick 96 skis. two and a half turns down my favorite warm up run I fell in love again.

I bought that pair of 174cm Ripsticks that Ski Essential had up for sale as demos. We had record snow in Feb and love the skis. Haven't skied the black edition.

Too soft, too boring yes maybe if you are a guy or girl that really rips but for me skiing the whole mt. in all conditions these skis are great.

Sponsor

Staff online