• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My daughter rode in her Nike running shoes. It was her second mountain bike ride ever. The first time was in Santa Cruz at Wilder Park, where we mostly rode downhill (on smooth trails) and she rode a rented Liv hardtail. She did lots of panic braking (grew up in the flatlands of Davis), and was generally afraid on even smooth descents.

This past ride, my daughter again wore Nike running shoes, but this time she rode a rented full-suspension Specialized Rhyme. She rode over every rock she saw. On the gradual descent of the WoopdeDoo trail at Tahoe XC, there were many instances where I thought she might walk, but she rode it all. She rides horses and apparently started to connect her position on the bike to riding a horse. It was fun to watch, and I think next time I'll have to get her some sticky shoes to see what she does then.

I'm riding in Altras because of their wide toe box. I got a pair on clearance to use after my foot surgery. Because they're trail runners they have the sticky rubber compound (Megagrip). But they also have lugs which got in the way of putting my feet in the correct spot sometimes. That didn't bother me too much. I felt like once my feet were in place they wouldn't slip. The shoes have a rock plate, which gives then a little stiffness, but I think the 5.10s (which I don't fit into right now) would be more supportive. I'm a little afraid to put too much pressure on my recovering foot right now, so I didn't get up on the pedals as much as I should have. I hope I'll fit into the 5.10s soon, or I might have to search for a pair of flats with a bigger toe box.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
And the MTB shoes don't squish under pedaling pressure. All that anti-running-impact shock absorption is coming straight out of your pedaling energy.
The Altras are not ideal, but they are not a "cushioned" model. They're more of a "trail feel" type of shoe. Think Born to Run, if you've read it. Of course, with my tender recovering foot, a little cushioning would actually be nice!
The Nikes my daughter wore would be more cushioned, but they're so old they're compacted :). We were talking about getting her a mountain bike when she graduates next May, so she'll get real shoes then.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Oh snap! And, yes, the sticky shoes make a huge difference in grip AND support.
I was definitely conscious of the lack of support. It made me a bit tentative about any kind of opportunity of a pedal strike.
My front tire threw a decent size rock that hit my left shin. That didn't feel good. Shin is sore today, but the swelling went down.

I'm riding in Altras because of their wide toe box. I got a pair on clearance to use after my foot surgery. Because they're trail runners they have the sticky rubber compound (Megagrip). But they also have lugs which got in the way of putting my feet in the correct spot sometimes. That
You really need to invest in bike shoes. They are so much more supportive of your foot and add a bit more protection.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You really need to invest in bike shoes. They are so much more supportive of your foot and add a bit more protection.
I have some. I have a pair with cleats, which I got when I got my Hawk Hill last year. I also have a pair of 5.10s, but they don't fit my left foot (it's still swollen from surgery). My Altra's soles are not the typical squishy running shoe sole. They're a performance model trail runner, so less cushioning, grippy sole, rock plate. They have a Vibram sole and a compound called "Megagrip." They are a little more flexible than I would like. I hope I'll fit into my 5.10s soon, otherwise I'll have to search for a mtb shoe with a bigger toe box.

I was definitely conscious of the lack of support. It made me a bit tentative about any kind of opportunity of a pedal strike.
I experienced pedal strike for the first time with my new wide Kona Wah Wah 2s. It freaked me out but nothing happened.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I
I experienced pedal strike for the first time with my new wide Kona Wah Wah 2s. It freaked me out but nothing happened.

Yeh, so long as the bike stays in the intended line it's no big deal, mostly mental. I think my worst freakout was in Shimano sandals on Elizabeth Furnace.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I hope I'll fit into my 5.10s soon, otherwise I'll have to search for a mtb shoe with a bigger toe box.

Just as an FYI, different models from Five Ten fit very differently, IMO. I wear a 1/2 size smaller in my Kestrels than my Freerider Contacts. Both seem to be the same length (or at least similar) even though they're different sizes.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Just as an FYI, different models from Five Ten fit very differently, IMO. I wear a 1/2 size smaller in my Kestrels than my Freerider Contacts. Both seem to be the same length (or at least similar) even though they're different sizes.

True, but those of us with truly wide toes have been tending to go half a size long just to get proper toe width. :(

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
True, but those of us with truly wide toes have been tending to go half a size long just to get proper toe width. :(

That's tough, not sure who makes a truly "wide" mtb shoe. But it's just an observation from different models in the same company...not saying that they'll definitely work...but just saying I wouldn't necessarily rule out the whole brand (unless you already have the widest shoe they make).

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I hope I'll fit into my 5.10s soon, otherwise I'll have to search for a mtb shoe with a bigger toe box.
I must have missed that. Continue healing and get into those shoes :D

That happens, and isn't usually a big deal, but it can throw you off. The most important thing is that you don't get your foot caught on something.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That's tough, not sure who makes a truly "wide" mtb shoe. But it's just an observation from different models in the same company...not saying that they'll definitely work...but just saying I wouldn't necessarily rule out the whole brand (unless you already have the widest shoe they make).
Apparently Bont makes wide sizes in cleated cycling shoes, but I don't know if they make flats. Depending on how long my foot takes to heal, I may have to track down a dealer for Bont road shoes. I want my clipless pedals back on my road bike ASAP. My Specialized S-works are already a little long, but still not going to fit my foot right now.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So the Kestrels are a 5.10? I have the Pros (they were on sale at REI recently). My town is in the flatlands, so while we have at least 10 bike shops in town, they don't carry tons of mountain biking gear. In my case I really need to be able to try shoes on.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeh, so long as the bike stays in the intended line it's no big deal, mostly mental. I think my worst freakout was in Shimano sandals on Elizabeth Furnace.
I guess you just want to have enough momentum to be able to stay on the intended line.
Elizabeth Furnace sounds scary, where is that?

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
So the Kestrels are a 5.10?

Yes, they're 5.10s, but are set up for clipless. I ride clipped in on my trail bike, flats with Freerider Contacts for downhill. I don't have anywhere near me that carried Five Tens, so ended up ordering off of Backcountry.com...they've always been real good with their return policy, most of the time they run free shipping specials to ship to you, so you just eat the cost of shipping back to them if they don't work out.

If you're just looking for something in the meantime while your foot heals up, you could also try a regular skate shoe. Though not as stiff as a bike shoe, they're generally flat bottomed, good grip, and often are fit wider than many other shoes.

Good luck :crossfingers:

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, they're 5.10s, but are set up for clipless. I ride clipped in on my trail bike, flats with Freerider Contacts for downhill. I don't have anywhere near me that carried Five Tens, so ended up ordering off of Backcountry.com...they've always been real good with their return policy, most of the time they run free shipping specials to ship to you, so you just eat the cost of shipping back to them if they don't work out.

If you're just looking for something in the meantime while your foot heals up, you could also try a regular skate shoe. Though not as stiff as a bike shoe, they're generally flat bottomed, good grip, and often are fit wider than many other shoes.

Good luck :crossfingers:
Thank you! We actually have a skate shop in town so I'll check there. If not, my Altras worked fine for what I'm able to ride right now. And I have the clipless shoes already too.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I guess you just want to have enough momentum to be able to stay on the intended line.

That and strikes tend to right the bike; if you strike when cornering and can't keep the angle, you're off to the weeds.

Elizabeth Furnace sounds scary, where is that?

It's along one of the ridges above the Shenandoah valley in Virginia, think blue-grey granite in ridges and chunks with sandstone lower down. Of course, like everything south of Long Island, lower = steeper 'coz it was cut by liquid water and not glaciers.

Sponsor

Staff online