• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
In the mid 70s I bought some Snik high altitude cream in Banff. No SPF rating but produced in Europe and I think it said it had been to Everest but I don't quite remember. I do remember clearly that the label said (and this is the main reason for buying it:rolleyes:) "Leaves you bronced (their spelling mistake not mine) and very, very desirable".

Decades later I saw some Snik for sale in a ski shop with the same misspelled tacky phrase.:D

Mikey

Getting on the lift
Skier
went to the dermatologist almost 3 weeks ago. skin on my cheeks was becoming very sensitive (really for a few months now) and some strange dry irritated areas on my forehead as well as what i thought was a pimple or maybe infected hair by my right ear/jawline. At first the derm just chastised me and said to use moisturizer then he finally took a closer look and said I had a bunch of AKs and made him look closer at the pimple which he said, "ya, that's no pimple" and took a biopsy. Biopsy was positive for squamous cell and he put me on Flourouracil for my whole face. On my final week of twice daily and man is my face completely lit up. Burns and itches now but fresh aloe out of the garden helps a lot. Doc says skin will be clear and smooth after it all heals. surgery on 22nd. Paying, like many for all the serious burns (in my case mainly from the beach and fishing) and never really using sun screen. Learned my lesson. Sun screen, hats at the minimum.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
I got zapped yesterday with nitrogen on both ears, the forehead, the scalp, both arms and one calf. Sore red spots all over today. At least I wasn't bandaged up from excisions like the last visit to the dermatology clinic. Those took quite a while to heal.

I had almost continuous sunburns during summers in the 1940s.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Same with me in the 1950s. We used to have contests, who could get the deepest burn...idiots! :nono:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I had an interesting conversation with Weems about skin care a couple years ago.
He pointed out that Hermann Gollner was diligent about covering his face when they skied years ago and some thought it was silly.
Now, Weems wishes he'd have done the same.
Hermann's skin is in excellent shape, especially when compared to other skiers in his age group.
Hermann was ahead of his time.
IMG_7392.JPG

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Much has to do with each person's DNA, thus a wise person learns how to deal with their own situation versus some one-size fits all advice often coming out of the media. And as one enters later years, keeps an annual eye on all areas of skin that may have been excessively exposed. The one part of my body where my skin looks near my age is the back of my hands.

My childhood summers were about the sunny hot Sacramento region where I learned at an early age how to avoid the pain of sunburn. Decades later, my skin outside my hands, looks much younger than my chronological age that probably has more to do with my particular Caucasian DNA despite being outside throughout each year. I went into KaiserP for a full body skin exam 2 years ago that showed nothing to worry about and am likely going to set up a physical exam including another look at my skin before this ski season begins.

In the summer while extensively out hiking, backpacking, and landscape photography, I wear a sun hat with a large bill and full neck drape and otherwise wear long pants and long sleeved shirts covering my skin, much like peoples in sunny desert regions. Thus not your t-shirt and shorts person like the vast majority of we Americans. However I do like laying on a beach at seashores so tend to have a decent full body tan that I build up slowly each spring without ever getting red. In the winter skiing, helmet, goggles, sun screen below, a modest tan, and full height coat collar, has kept my facial skin fine. In late ski season it just takes a single day without protection to burn through even a good tan.

Last edited:

Mikey

Getting on the lift
Skier
went to the dermatologist almost 3 weeks ago. skin on my cheeks was becoming very sensitive (really for a few months now) and some strange dry irritated areas on my forehead as well as what i thought was a pimple or maybe infected hair by my right ear/jawline. At first the derm just chastised me and said to use moisturizer then he finally took a closer look and said I had a bunch of AKs and made him look closer at the pimple which he said, "ya, that's no pimple" and took a biopsy. Biopsy was positive for squamous cell and he put me on Flourouracil for my whole face. On my final week of twice daily and man is my face completely lit up. Burns and itches now but fresh aloe out of the garden helps a lot. Doc says skin will be clear and smooth after it all heals. surgery on 22nd. Paying, like many for all the serious burns (in my case mainly from the beach and fishing) and never really using sun screen. Learned my lesson. Sun screen, hats at the minimum.

Ended up extending another week and then it took another 3 weeks for the skin to heal and most of the red areas to disappear. Decent result. Skin was definitely smoother and the sensitive areas are now gone. Doc said, I'll probably need to redo in 2 years but the reaction should not be as bad.

Still had to get a couple more spots burned off a couple weeks ago. The Efudex caused a bunch of swelling so my first surgery removed a beginning mole instead of the correct cancer site. Went in last week and the doc found the right spot. The squamous cell wasn't aggressive and very localized so he got it all with the first cut. The squamous cell was in an usual location on my neck and I'm wondering if the radiation I got from tonsil cancer treatment brought that on.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I did the Flourouracil treatment about 3 years ago. They had me apply it to troubled areas (mostly forehead, scalp & back of my hands) 5 days a month for I think 6 months.
I just began treatment with a new topical cream that is a mix of Calcipotriene & Flourouracil. They said I only needed to do this one 2 or 3 days per month but on my whole face, forearms & back of hands. Only on my 2nd month & not too bad but they said this one is more powerful & too watch out. :eek:

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
I did the Flourouracil treatment about 3 years ago. They had me apply it to troubled areas (mostly forehead, scalp & back of my hands) 5 days a month for I think 6 months.
I just began treatment with a new topical cream that is a mix of Calcipotriene & Flourouracil. They said I only needed to do this one 2 or 3 days per month but on my whole face, forearms & back of hands. Only on my 2nd month & not too bad but they said this one is more powerful & too watch out. :eek:

I remember skiing with you at Snow Basin (I think). You were carefully covered up. Smart man, and great day. Thank you very much.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid