• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Effectiveness of "Rockin' Green" activewear detergent?

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I've been fooled before ...

This stuff claims to get out the funk that builds up in synthetic activewear. Any experience with it? I saw it on a Facebook ad, so it must be legit ;-) .

http://buy.rockingreen.com/activewear/

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Is that like detox for the gym clothes? :cool:

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Looks like a standard enzyme cleaner. Most detergents use enzymes, but ones like these or Nature's Miracle are a lot more concentrated. Tea tree oil is also a decent antiseptic, but not quite as powerful as hydrogen peroxide (added to the wash or in non-chlorine bleach). All are safe for most gym clothes - polyester and nylon fibers are pretty indestructible.

But I wouldn't use it on anything with a waterproof membrane or a topical finish (DWR, insect repellent, stain resistance, etc). Enzyme cleaners always tout that they're natural and plant-based, but it doesn't mean they're gentle.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
But I wouldn't use it on anything with a waterproof membrane or a topical finish (DWR, insect repellent, stain resistance, etc). Enzyme cleaners always tout that they're natural and plant-based, but it doesn't mean they're gentle.

Yeah, I pretty much ignored all the "look how safe and natural we are!" verbiage. I want something that actually, reliably removes armpit smell, LOL. Hmm. Should I try adding hydrogen peroxide? Is it likely to mess with colors or damage wool?

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Depends a bit. Some say non-chlorine bleach is color safe, but I've some notes about it being safe on some/most colors. Check your care label, and if it says anything along the lines of non-chlorine bleach only/non-chlorine bleach if needed, total green light to proceed. If it says do not bleach & it's snythetic, I'd test a small inconspicuous spot.

Wool is a different beast, peroxide has a bleaching effect, so it's really only helpful if you're doing damage control on a white/light garment. Wool fibers are really delicate, so if they're a blend that doesn't require dry cleaning, go for hand wash or delicate cycle in a delicates laundry bag, cold water, and a very gentle enzyme-free cleanser (ideally a wool specific one). Wool naturally resists odors, but if a garment's getting stinky, reach for vinegar. It has antibacterial properties, but it's not strong or effective enough to be an EPA disinfectant. It's the first thing I reach for for stains & odors for natural fibers.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I've been fooled before ...

This stuff claims to get out the funk that builds up in synthetic activewear. Any experience with it? I saw it on a Facebook ad, so it must be legit ;-) .

http://buy.rockingreen.com/activewear/

I've used it. It works. So does Sport Suds, which is less smelly when you put it in the washer. (Neither seems to perfume the clothes, happily.) IME it takes a couple washings.

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
I use a few cap fulls of generic Listerine in a load of stinky synthetics with powder detergent and it works well. Sport Wash also works but is $$$. Not using liquid detergent and/or fabric softener is key keeping the stink out of synthetics.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I use a few cap fulls of generic Listerine in a load of stinky synthetics with powder detergent and it works well. Sport Wash also works but is $$$. Not using liquid detergent and/or fabric softener is key keeping the stink out of synthetics.

I don't use fabric software, and I actually haven't found Sport Wash to be any more effective than Tide. I use unscented detergent and have a really sensitive nose, so it's really obvious to me, even if it isn't noticeable to anyone else.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
With your sensitive nose, you may not want work out near me in the gym. Listerine works even on the manky base layers from several days of winter camping.

I'll have to check out this Listerine tip. It seems like it would be pretty harsh, though.

There's a difference between the smell of relatively fresh sweat and the smell of rancid B.O.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Y Hmm. Should I try adding hydrogen peroxide? Is it likely to mess with colors or damage wool?

Yes, it can - and it can also inactivate some of the pH sensitive enzymes within enzymatic cleaners. In it's favour, it will kill yeast/fungus spores - which none of the other suggestions will do - and which are the other bugaboo of synthetic sport fabrics.

I'll have to check out this Listerine tip. It seems like it would be pretty harsh, though.

No harsher than any other alcohol/essential oil combination. IOW, it's a variant on the tea tree suggestions above. As with all essential oils, be careful - it's easy to develop a sensitivity.

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier

There's a difference between the smell of relatively fresh sweat and the smell of rancid B.O.
Two or three caps of Listerine added to a load of laundry isn't harsh. If you need harsh, try old style Lysol in the brown bottle works great on clothing worn commercial fishing.

Monique to save your olfactory, you don't want to be down wind of me after a 13.1 mile run on a hot and humid day. Not quite rancid, but certainly not fresh.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Monique to save your olfactory, you don't want to be down wind of me after a 13.1 mile run on a hot and humid day. Not quite rancid, but certainly not fresh.
:roflmao:

Even *I* don't want to be near me about 5 minutes after I finish my mountain bike ride.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I dunno..I wear my stank like a champ.. I EARNED that stank! :eek::D

True story: I once had to throw out a wool base layer because after a day of spring skiing, when I unzipped my jacket in a large SUV, everyone immediately asked, "What IS that smell??" I had tried to wash out the stank multiple times, never fully succeeded, and heat and more sweat just amplified it. When we stopped at a restaurant, I threw the damn thing in the bathroom trashcan.

I must be special, because the whole "wool doesn't stink" thing doesn't work for me:(

Sponsor

Staff online