• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

EdgeTune Pro II, Help Requested

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
I recently purchased an EdgeTune Pro II and have been experiencing somewhat variable results. The instructions that come with the product are lacking in detail with vague language and no diagrams. There is a video that shows the process, but has no close up shots. Maybe they presume a certain level of understanding or prior tuning experience that I don’t have?

I believe I have the machine set up correctly with the grinding stone and set screws lined up, but my results are inconsistent with some edges dulling instead of sharpening. Looking at reviews online, some folks have even done permant damage to their edges when the device slips, which seems easy to do.

Luckily I have some old delaminated skis to practice on, so the only damage is to my ego, but I would like to see if anyone has any tips to help use the machine most effectively.

TS
Fishbowl

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
I knew this was somewhat of a random/specific question, so I’m going to bump the thread just once in the hope of finding somebody with experience with the EdgeTune Pro II tool.

I had hoped using the tool would be relatively foolproof, but it appears that a specific skill set is required to achieve good, consistent results. So if anyone can help I would appreciate guidance on how to use the tool effectively without damaging my edges. Thanks.

BGreen

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have never used, nor seen, an Edge Tune Pro, but my first guess is the sidewall is improperly prepped and its getting in the way. This can cause the edger to set an incorrect angle, to skate on the edge, or the sidewall material can clog the pores/texture of the grinding media. Again, no experience with that tool, but when I don’t get the immediate results I expect with any edger, sidewall and the titanal layer is the first place I look.

jack97

Out on the slopes
Skier
I had hoped using the tool would be relatively foolproof, but it appears that a specific skill set is required to achieve good, consistent results. So if anyone can help I would appreciate guidance on how to use the tool effectively without damaging my edges. Thanks.

I always have a steady hand and can do microscope work for repair. That said, I notice the dremel speed has a strong dependency to how smooth you can run the side of the ski. I put my on the fastest setting and take short strokes, so that I can move my body along the the ski length. That way my arm /hand are in the same position to hold the tool steady.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I knew this was somewhat of a random/specific question, so I’m going to bump the thread just once in the hope of finding somebody with experience with the EdgeTune Pro II tool.

Do you find the tool skipping along the edge? Most people would work the tool from tip of the ski to the tail. But when you guide the tool and the stone is spinning in one direction it may skip on the edge and when you do the other edge of the ski if you reverse the tip in the vice it is spinning in the other direction and may give you better results.

TS
Fishbowl

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
Do you find the tool skipping along the edge? Most people would work the tool from tip of the ski to the tail. But when you guide the tool and the stone is spinning in one direction it may skip on the edge and when you do the other edge of the ski if you reverse the tip in the vice it is spinning in the other direction and may give you better results.

The tool has a directional arrow which aligns with the spin of the Dremel. I think my issue has been securing the device to the ski in a way that the snow stays consistent.

TS
Fishbowl

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
I always have a steady hand and can do microscope work for repair. That said, I notice the dremel speed has a strong dependency to how smooth you can run the side of the ski. I put my on the fastest setting and take short strokes, so that I can move my body along the the ski length. That way my arm /hand are in the same position to hold the tool steady.

Good tip, I was trying to make long strokes along the edge. It seemed easier than continuously engaging and disengaging the tool, but maybe reaching too far was altering my grinding angle.

So glad I had a pair of old delaminated kids skis to work on. Which are capped, so I presume sidewalk interference isn’t an issue either, as was also suggested.

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
Good tip, I was trying to make long strokes along the edge. It seemed easier than continuously engaging and disengaging the tool, but maybe reaching too far was altering my grinding angle.

So glad I had a pair of old delaminated kids skis to work on. Which are capped, so I presume sidewalk interference isn’t an issue either, as was also suggested.

Cap skis still need to be sidewall planed. May not be much to remove, but must be done as to not have interference.
It doesn't matter how the edge is sharpened. By hand with file, or with a silly tool such as you are asking about.
At any rate, practice will improve your results.

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
You went there Jacques, now you'll have to explain it...............silly tool?

Well it's like this. Among those kind of edge grinders, the one you are working with may be the least desirable.
If you really don't like the idea of files and polishing stones with guides, then you would be better served to use the Trione (sp) or the leader of the group... Snow Glide.
You kinda get what you pay for.
Anyway, like I said, just keep on practicing, and you will get things as good as it can be for your given choice.
After all, a better edge is better than a bad edge.

bigskymtnguy

Booting up
Skier
I've tried one. Find it works best if I first shave the sidewall, then place the ski at a 45 degree angle in an old Profi vice. This seems to allow a better position for the tool. I'd always do a finish lap with a diamond stone in a guide.

EdgeTune Inc.

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Thank you for using EdgeTune Pro II. We have made improvements to our instructions to help clarify the proper tool setup, including photos. When used correctly, EdgeTune Pro II creates an incredibly sharp, mirror finish side edge that thousands of racers use and love every day worldwide. Perhaps it is best to think of our tool as a motorized file guide vs. all the other spring loaded grinding machines. However, it does require a basic comfort level with power hand tools. As for the concern of the tool rolling off the edge, this will not happen as long as you hold the tool as shown in the video with one hand holding the tool (it is very light and well balanced) and the other hand on the ski/board. If you use 2 hands to hold a hammer to pound a nail, you are doing it wrong. Hope this helps, and stay sharp!

Sponsor

Staff online