• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Edge Bevels redux: 1 and 2 vs 1 and 3?

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
Confirmation Bias my ass!
Whoa! A little sensitve? I didn't realize you were the only human not subject to confirmation bias. How do you do that? Spiritual enlightment? Tenth level Scientology?:ogbiggrin:

dm

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Whoa! A little sensitve? I didn't realize you were the only human not subject to confirmation bias. How do you do that? Spiritual enlightment? Tenth level Scientology?:ogbiggrin:

dm
No there's two of us. :ogbiggrin:
Years ago I decided to try a 1 degree base bevel on my old Kastle SGs, because the shop said I could pick them up later that day if so. The skis were among the first to come with a 0.5 degree base bevel; it was supposed to make them faster. I will admit they were pretty fast skis, but that could have been the base material or the meticulous factory finish. I could pick them up later that day with a 1 degree base bevel, or next week if I waited for him to reset the machine after he finished all the other skis he had in line for a 1 degree base. Having an open mind, I tried it. I didn't like it and was in a hurry to switch back.

When I switched to my Fischer SCs they came with a 1 degree base bevel. They were extremely forgiving, but I didn't like the lack of "on-centre precision" and the delayed response and switched them to a 0.5 when I got them their first base grind. They ski very differently with a 0.5 degree base.

Needing a scientific study to prove it (0.5 to 1.0 change in base bevel) makes a difference is like needing a scientific study to prove that a sharp razor shaves better; maybe you could get government funding for it ogwink, but I wouldn't pay the bill for that study.

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier

dm
Hardly sensitive.....just rooting out total BS..............a little common sense goes a long way.

Now if you wanted to do a test in a controlled race course to see what bevel was fastest for a particular racer in a particular race course, on a particular day and a particular kind of snow......assuming there are no wind gusts , change in visibility, or change in line or technique or energy level of the racer..............I am still not sure you would unequivocally prove anything................I do know a .5 skis tighter then a 1 degree...................PERIOD!

Sponsor