• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
I’m going to get the bases ground as I have a few base high & edge high spots on both skis. It’s time to fix it.

I was going to request a 1deg base, but torn between 2 or 3 deg edge. I’ve never touched these skis (new this year). I use a 1:3 on my Brahmas.

This is for use in VT in varying conditions. Open to suggestions on this ski.

cmackvt

Putting on skis
Skier
I ski a 1/3 in Vermont on a 173 Bonafide. I've never felt it should be changed but I haven't tried a different edge angle so may just be what I'm used to.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I’m going to get the bases ground as I have a few base high & edge high spots on both skis. It’s time to fix it.

I was going to request a 1deg base, but torn between 2 or 3 deg edge. I’ve never touched these skis (new this year). I use a 1:3 on my Brahmas.

This is for use in VT in varying conditions. Open to suggestions on this ski.

I would use 3º edge angle for sure

TS
E

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
Thanks guys. Thats what I was leaning towards, but figured I through it out there for input.

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
A few years back I was skiing with a friend who had a brand new pair of Bonafides. We traded skis and he skied on My Head Mojos with a 1/3 on them. When we were done, he said I want my Bonafides to ski like your Mojos. I took his skis home to measure the side bevels and to put a 3 degree on them..........the factory tune was already a 3 degree! I measured with an SVST Bevelmeter!

He was a bit disappointed with the news. Don't remember if I measured the base bevel to see if they were over-beveled, but a true 1/3 is definitely preferred!

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
not really an awesome woods ski. I do run 1/3 on my 187cm which I basically only bring out for cruddy groomers days with some woods

180cm not enough float, 187cm feels too long. The goldilocks skis for me is the 185cm Enforcer 100.

TS
E

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
A few years back I was skiing with a friend who had a brand new pair of Bonafides. We traded skis and he skied on My Head Mojos with a 1/3 on them. When we were done, he said I want my Bonafides to ski like your Mojos. I took his skis home to measure the side bevels and to put a 3 degree on them..........the factory tune was already a 3 degree! I measured with an SVST Bevelmeter!

He was a bit disappointed with the news. Don't remember if I measured the base bevel to see if they were over-beveled, but a true 1/3 is definitely preferred!

I wonder if it varies based on production year? The dealer that I just had do the base grind indicated the current Bonafides were 1:2 and was wondering if I really wanted the change to the 1:3 like my Brahmas. I’ll be honest I didn’t check the edge angles before dropping them off so I can’t attest to them being 1:2 or 1:3.

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier

I wonder if it varies based on production year? The dealer that I just had do the base grind indicated the current Bonafides were 1:2 and was wondering if I really wanted the change to the 1:3 like my Brahmas. I’ll be honest I didn’t check the edge angles before dropping them off so I can’t attest to them being 1:2 or 1:3.
I hear this all the time about different skis. Thing is I have a $260 tool that measures accurately, particularly side edge bevel. Just had this discussion about the Enforcer 100. Mine, new out of the wrapper were 1/3. A member here said his were 1/2, but never told me how he measured them. It really doesn't matter what they were new. Put a 1/3 one them........you will never go back! No difference in soft snow....big difference on harder snow! This is particularly true since you already like the 1/3 on your Brahmas!

Last edited:
Reactions: mdf

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
not really an awesome woods ski. I do run 1/3 on my 187cm which I basically only bring out for cruddy groomers days with some woods

180cm not enough float, 187cm feels too long. The goldilocks skis for me is the 185cm Enforcer 100.

^^^ This

For skied out groomers and trees the 180cm is great. The 187cm is superb for open spaces but still retains some capability for tighter spots. They love to be let run free though.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
@Josh Matta and @Ken_R , what specifically makes the 2018 Bonafide not as good as the Enforcer 100 for tree skiing?
I was thinking of picking one up because I enjoyed it so much in deep snow in the trees and it still could produce a hard turn on groomed snow when laid over, but I have only tried a handful of wide rockered skis. Me: 150 lbs, skiing 2nd longest length.
Other suggestions? I'm looking for a cheap ski-swap purchase; we don't get enough snow her in Sudbury Canada, to cover the rocks in our little bush run.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
@Josh Matta and @Ken_R , what specifically makes the 2018 Bonafide not as good as the Enforcer 100 for tree skiing?
I was thinking of picking one up because I enjoyed it so much in deep snow in the trees and it still could produce a hard turn on groomed snow when laid over, but I have only tried a handful of wide rockered skis. Me: 150 lbs, skiing 2nd longest length.
Other suggestions? I'm looking for a cheap ski-swap purchase; we don't get enough snow her in Sudbury Canada, to cover the rocks in our little bush run.

The Enforcer is a bit "easier". I prefer the Bonafide though (for how and where I ski)

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Why not experiment? Go 1/2 then next season or next month you can file a nice fresh 3 degree side.

TS
E

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
Why not experiment? Go 1/2 then next season or next month you can file a nice fresh 3 degree side.

I could do that, but I was having the base ground and already have 1:3 on my Brahmas. Basically I wanted reassurance that a 1:3 on a Bonafide would be fine, I had no reason to think it wouldn’t be, but no reason not to ask.

I was looking at upgrading from my files to a motorized edging tool. But I just could decide. Plus the local guys just got a new Wintersteiger Neptune machine and the prices are reasonable.

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
The Enforcer is a bit "easier". I prefer the Bonafide though (for how and where I ski)
I thought the Bonafide was pathetic...Enforcer is twice the ski. Bonafide tip folded up like a cheap tent, and some other weird flex point just behind the boot heel! But I hate skis that you must ski very uprightn from the center of the ski....And IMHO that is the Bonafide. NO tip driving allowed.

Another issue is the Bonafide sizing....the 187 is 21M radius, 185 Enforcer is 18. The next size down in the Bonafide is a 180, which is just too short with the early rise tip & tail. And it still has a 19M radius.

But there is more to the Enforcer than meets the eye, there is something magic about the shape, flex and construction. They nailed it!

OTOH, Enforcer does it all. I was at Whistler last week and the ski was outstanding in every condition as well as at Crystal last Saturday. Skied Pow, Chop, Hard pack, Wind Crust, Death cookies, bumps, wind blown sun heated pow....the ski is simply ridiculous! And all the while skis like a race ski on the groomed! Simply delightful! Of course I have a Razor-tune 3 degree on them!

Last edited:

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
I could do that, but I was having the base ground and already have 1:3 on my Brahmas. Basically I wanted reassurance that a 1:3 on a Bonafide would be fine, I had no reason to think it wouldn’t be, but no reason not to ask.

I was looking at upgrading from my files to a motorized edging tool. But I just could decide. Plus the local guys just got a new Wintersteiger Neptune machine and the prices are reasonable.
Just got a Razor-tune and the thing is so Ph__cking easy to use! And the edge turns out amazingly good......Because it lays on flat on the ski, it is virtually impossible to F up your ski. And the finsh is so good. Skis like a dream!

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
That is not an Experiment, that is a waste of time!

lol, I went with a 3 degree because everyone on the internet does it. But sure, every hard core skier in VT and apparently BC as well. I go with 2 but I'm definitely not a role model.

Doug R

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I'm late to the thread, but I had Mike (SkiMD) do a full tune on my Bonafides and set the edges to 1/2-degree base, 3-degree side. They skied so well at Burke Mountain last week I almost cried tears of joy.
:yahoo:

So, yeah, like, flat bases and 0.5/3 edges are the ticket.

TS
E

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
I never reported back. I failed to look at the skis when I picked them up and later dropped them at the condo. I Took 1 run and said WTF. Upon closer review the side edges are f’d up. It looks like the ski slipped in the machine and 1 edge has waves in it along with some blueing/burns. The other ski has a variable edge, you can see the edge going in and out. It’s the right edge on both skis, the left edge looks fine on both skis. I talked to the shop and they denied it (to be expected). I’m going to drop them off at other place to get an opinion on what they can do.

Sponsor

Staff online