• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Choucas

Getting off the lift
Skier
Too bad they messed up on the tune. Boo to them for not making it right. You should be able to get them right again without much of a problem. In addition to the angles, the finish on the edge is key. Grinding marks/striations, or case hardened edge sections can make things feel very weird even if the angles are correct. A final finish by hand with a file on the side edges and then with stones and a very light deburr with a soft gummi stone gives you the angles and the edges that are ready to go.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I never reported back. I failed to look at the skis when I picked them up and later dropped them at the condo. I Took 1 run and said WTF. Upon closer review the side edges are f’d up. It looks like the ski slipped in the machine and 1 edge has waves in it along with some blueing/burns. The other ski has a variable edge, you can see the edge going in and out. It’s the right edge on both skis, the left edge looks fine on both skis. I talked to the shop and they denied it (to be expected). I’m going to drop them off at other place to get an opinion on what they can do.

:eek::eek::eek:

The shop trashed the skis!

TS
E

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
Too bad they messed up on the tune. Boo to them for not making it right. You should be able to get them right again without much of a problem. In addition to the angles, the finish on the edge is key. Grinding marks/striations, or case hardened edge sections can make things feel very weird even if the angles are correct. A final finish by hand with a file on the side edges and then with stones and a very light deburr with a soft gummi stone gives you the angles and the edges that are ready to go.

:eek::eek::eek:

The shop trashed the skis!

I’ll be dropping them off at a place recommended by a local pro on Thur-Fri. I could be making it sound worse than it is, but I’ll report back once they access them. I do believe the correction is beyond my current skill set based on the feel.

When I bought them back to the first shop they were quick to say there was no way they could have left the shop in the condition I returned them in and someone else must have worked on them in between. I knew at that point they were going to be of little use so I left, sometimes you just know it’s not worth the battle.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I’ll be dropping them off at a place recommended by a local pro on Thur-Fri. I could be making it sound worse than it is, but I’ll report back once they access them. I do believe the correction is beyond my current skill set based on the feel.

When I bought them back to the first shop they were quick to say there was no way they could have left the shop in the condition I returned them in and someone else must have worked on them in between. I knew at that point they were going to be of little use so I left, sometimes you just know it’s not worth the battle.

That's bs, and it doesn't take long to reset the edge by hand, never mind on a machine. aholes.

TS
E

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
That's bs, and it doesn't take long to reset the edge by hand, never mind on a machine. aholes.

I don't honestly think the guys working when I returned were able to do any hand tuning, nor any authority to make any decisions. Only 1 of them was trained to operate their machine. While I didn't like their response, I think it might be better that I am having someone else fix them.

I think its been 15 yrs since I have tuned my own skis and I was thinking about getting back into it this year. This situation makes me want to purchase new files and guides, but on the other hand it showed how easy it was to make a mistake on an edge using a machine. I was originally looking at the Evo and RT, just not sure I want to do...

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier

I will have to disagree with you here. Most top shelf skis come from the factory with a ceramic disc fisnihed side edge. With striations in the side edge. . Also the hand held side edge tuners (like the Razor Tune, I use) put the same grinding marks in the side edge. This is partially what makes new skis and freshly ceramic disc finished skis so grippy. I hated the 1st time I had to sharpen a new pair of skis by hand , since their was not a way to preserve the factory ceramic disc finish. that is now resolved with the Razor Tune. The OP's problem is the side edges are inconsistent in angle, wavy and it sounds like overheated. This is a different issue then having ceramic disc straions in the side edge.

TS
E

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
The OP's problem is the side edges are inconsistent in angle, wavy and it sounds like overheated. This is a different issue then having ceramic disc straions in the side edge.

Correct.

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier

When I try a restaurant, and the food or service is bad, I don't bother to complain. I just never go there again!
I think you are handling the situation by taking the high road. Good luck.

TS
E

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
When I try a restaurant, and the food or service is bad, I don't bother to complain. I just never go there again!
I think you are handling the situation by taking the high road. Good luck.

I brought the skis to another shop and told them I didn’t need them for a few days. The called back yesterday and suggested 2 options.

1- Tune them the best they can, but there will still be 2 spots on the edge on 1 ski that cannot fix do to how deep the edge was damaged. The sidewall was also over shaved/cut in those areas.

2- Cut the section of base & edge out (~16”) and replace it. Not great option since the base is perfect.

I presented another option. Pull the binding, I’ll drop off a new set next week and I’ll build a Adirondack chair with the damaged ones. I’ll contact the owner of the original shop later this month and discuss my displeasure with their techs.

Last edited:

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
I brought the skis to another shop and told them I didn’t need them for a few days. The called back yesterday and suggested 2 options.

1- Tune them the best they can, but there will still be 2 spots on the edge on 1 ski that cannot fix do to how deep the edge was damaged. The sidewall was also over shaved/cut in those areas.

2- Cut the section of base & edge out (~16”) and replace it. Not great option since the base is perfect.

I presented another option. Pull the binding, I’ll drop off a new set next week and I’ll build a Adirondack chair with the damaged ones. I’ll contact the owner of the original shop later this month and discuss my displeasure with their techs.

If those 2 spots are not that bad, they may still ski fine. Don't throw them away yet. I'd try No. 1

TS
E

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
If those 2 spots are not that bad, they may still ski fine. Don't throw them away yet. I'd try No. 1

It may and they were able to fix the other skis edge. So worse case is I have a backup ski if I trash one of the new ones. My buddy is dropping the skis at Fedex today, I sent him a label last night. He never mounted them and needs the cash (has no health insurance) to cover some bills. I picked up another set of fatbike wheels from him too.

Downtown

Putting on skis
Skier
Wow...seems everyone here is going w/the 1/3. How does the ski come out of the box?

I just picked up my second set of Enforcers ('20) and had them set set the edge to a 2 degree. Their default is a 1 degree, which surprised me since the owners of the shop are racers w/a son on the US Ski Team, but I think for the everyday skier they set automatically to 1 degree, unless told otherwise. I think my last version was set as a two, but now I'm wondering if I should have it redone to 3 degree. I like to lay them down on the groomers, and that may help :)

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
I typically run my Enforcers (88, 100, 104, 115), Bonafide, Brahma, and Rustlers at 1/2--this works well for Western snow.

FIS SL and GS are at 0.5/3, as are the i.Race and i.Rally.

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Wow...seems everyone here is going w/the 1/3. How does the ski come out of the box?

I just picked up my second set of Enforcers ('20) and had them set set the edge to a 2 degree. Their default is a 1 degree, which surprised me since the owners of the shop are racers w/a son on the US Ski Team, but I think for the everyday skier they set automatically to 1 degree, unless told otherwise. I think my last version was set as a two, but now I'm wondering if I should have it redone to 3 degree. I like to lay them down on the groomers, and that may help :)
Do a 3........ Period .

James

Out There
Instructor
How come no one thinks twice about changing tires from what came on the car from the factory, but with edge angles it's something that one needs to follow exactly what was done for the lowest common denominator?

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
How come no one thinks twice about changing tires from what came on the car from the factory, but with edge angles it's something that one needs to follow exactly what was done for the lowest common denominator?
:huh::):):)

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Heck, just do one ski at 1/2 and one at 1/3. See which you like best and hope it's the 1/3! :golfclap: I kid.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January