• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Easy-On Boot Aid

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A friend was asking me if there was any thing to help her with getting into her boots. I thought I had seen something on the interweb that looked like an egg or computer mouse, with grooves along the sides, that you would slide down the front of the boot to spread the shell apart. After some googling with no success, I am wondering if it was just my imagination or I saw it in a dream.
Does anyone know of such a device? What are people using to help with getting in and out of their boots?

P-Ute

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The Bootster
step-1.jpg

http://thebootster.com/buy-shoe-horn/
I have used it for a season and it definitely makes it easier to get ski boots on. Unfortunately it does not help get them off and a little more expensive then most shoehorn type devices.

DeBooter
DebooterIMG_0136_580x@2x.jpeg

https://www.outdoorlogicsolutions.com/collections/get-your-debooter/products/portable-debooter
I have not used this boot jack type device, but I have seen others use it and it does seem to help. To expensive for me though as I am likely to leave it behind in the ski resort parking lot.

I have not seen any devices shaped like an egg. Another option and my favorite is a nice long après ski drink in front of a warm fire to soften up the boots.

eok

Slopefossil
Skier
Here's a DIY skiing hack to help getting *into* boots. I've used it & it works.

[EDIT: just saw The Booster in the previous post. It works in a similar way]

Get some plastic sheet - like a garbage bag. The thicker black types of garbage bags work well.

Cut a 6" x 14" strip out of the bag with scissors. No need to be super accurate.

---

How to use:

Before putting on boot, put the plastic strip in the boot so that it's against the back inside of the boot. Make sure it's placed just above the heel area.

Insert foot. The plastic makes it slide in very easily.

Now grab the plastic strip & slide it out of the boot.

Repeat with the other boot.

---

I've seen people use heavier weight plastic, like blue tarp material. It lasts longer. The garbage bag plastic will wear out sooner.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Whole milk only. Need the fat to keep things slick. :D

Castle Dave

Getting off the lift
Skier
A heated boot bag is a guaranteed solution but pricey. Another option is to put on her liner first then slip into boot with foot in liner. I keep an old piece of carpet in the car to stand on. Worth a try.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Warm boots are also infinitely easier to put on (and remove) than cold boots are. Keep a hair dryer in your boot bag or keep your boots near the car heating vents.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
https://www.amazon.com/DryGuy-Travel-Boot-Dryer-Shoe/dp/B010A5JBPO
I use these and they make it immensely easier. I stick them in the boots in the morning when I wake up and then plug them into the cigarette lighter in the car. I have a Morton’s Neuroma and these keep me from screaming in pain while squeezing my foot in. They soften everything just enough for easy entry. They are considerably cheaper than a heated boot bag.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled

No idea why cabrio is so polarizing..... I basically run mine so they do not actually flex much...but the ease of off and on is a nice perk as well.

VickiK

Out on the slopes
Skier
What are people using to help with getting in and out of their boots?
Inexpensive hacks:
1. Rice-filled tubular flannel DIY boot warmers, nuked for about a minute; caution don't burn the rice
2. Thin plastic placemat from Walmart used as a slide aid to get into the boot; maybe use silicon spray like Trislide on it?

JimL

Putting on skis
Skier
A trick I learned is similar to @eok, but even simpler. Cut a strip of plastic from a grocery bag, about 4" x 12". To use, insert the strip in the boot so that your heel hits it about midway along the long side, then slide your foot into the boot with the strip. The strip decreases the friction sliding into the boot, and also helps when you take the boot off. Since the plastic is very thin, it won't affect the fit of the boot so you can just leave it there. The plastic won't last very long, but it's basically free so what the heck.

Reactions: eok

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Inexpensive hacks:
1. Rice-filled tubular flannel DIY boot warmers, nuked for about a minute; caution don't burn the rice

I do this. Slip them in the boots. Stick a pair of rolled up driving gloves on top of them to hold the heat in. Throw ski jacket over boots in car. Slip into boots like a hot knife through butter.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
I stayed at the Four Seasons a couple of years ago, and they had the best boot aids ever: comely lasses who greet you with the offer, “ may I help you with your boots.”

I stifled the automatic impulse of saying that I had been putting ski boots on for forty years and surrendered with a “yes please.”

:huh:

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
This will make sense for anyone who as ever stepped on cheap poly sheet drop cloth painting and landed flat on their back and then understand why good drop cloth is fabric.

Get a couple of sections of thick clear poly sheet (6mil) 8”x16”

One the top of the foot the other over the heel, insert foot, extract sheets, do second foot!

Works even better when boots are warm.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I stayed at the Four Seasons a couple of years ago, and they had the best boot aids ever: comely lasses who greet you with the offer, “ may I help you with your boots.”

I stifled the automatic impulse of saying that I had been putting ski boots on for forty years and surrendered with a “yes please.”

:huh:

Men are dogs. :D

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January