• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mid-Atlantic East region Bragging rights

Carolinacub

Yes thats a Cubs hat I'm wearing
Skier
For the first time that I can remember a NC resort was the first to open in the East. I believe Cataloochee beat Killington by a whole 2 hours. Granted it was a very short WRD and it was on a base of 2" to 8" but hey we'll take it. Unfortunately my home mountain Wolf Ridge Resort hasn't even started making snow. Maybe this weekend.

PS how to I get this with a Mid-Atlantic tag

PPS thanks whoever changed it, I did figure it out for next time.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Looks like they are closed for the week and set to reopen on the 9th... how weather dependent will that be I wonder? It is supposed to get cold on Friday... I'm guessing that will be good snowmaking for next Saturday.

TS
Carolinacub

Carolinacub

Skier
looking at the weather here in Asheville we'll in low 30's every night but thurs and fri . Thay are higher than us so should have better conditions. I never bet against Cat snowmakers, those guys can make snow in the summer.ogsmile

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Shouldn't this technically be a Southeast tag, or can we just agree to ditch Southeast and merge NC/TN and AL with Mid Atlantic?

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
You really have to love it to be a skier in the mid-Atlantic states.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Shouldn't this technically be a Southeast tag, or can we just agree to ditch Southeast and merge NC/TN and AL with Mid Atlantic?
There is no Southeast thread title tag in the system. And yes, Mid-A does include NC per the official map :

resort-map-jpg.28613

If anyone wants to talk Ober Gatlinburg, or Cloumont, that could be done in the Mid-A threads too.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
There is no Southeast thread title tag in the system. And yes, Mid-A does include NC per the official map :

resort-map-jpg.28613

If anyone wants to talk Ober Gatlinburg, or Cloumont, that could be done in the Mid-A threads too.

Thanks. I kinda remember that it NC was listed as SE when the tags first launched a year or two ago and I pitched a fit about the SE designation. @Philpug might remember if there used to be SE.

TS
Carolinacub

Carolinacub

Skier
Thanks. I kinda remember that it NC was listed as SE when the tags first launched a year or two ago and I pitched a fit about the SE designation. @Philpug might remember if there used to be SE.
Charles,
We are the redheaded stepchildren of the redheaded stepchild of the ski world:micdrop:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Charles,
We are the redheaded stepchildren of the redheaded stepchild of the ski world:micdrop:

Nothing wrong with that, as long as you're still in the ski world! Personally, I like to tell people from New England that they don't have the highest elevation resorts in the east, and let them guess which ones are. :D

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Charles,

There's a magic in that.

Like seventh sons, only you can take a real beating. :cool:

Personally, I like to tell people from New England that they don't have the highest elevation resorts in the east, and let them guess which ones are. :D

Harh. You don't even need to go south to get higher than New England*, just pop over to Whiteface - they've even got signage to demonstrate.

*Using the modern popular definition and not the Stuart administrative definition.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Nothing wrong with that, as long as you're still in the ski world! Personally, I like to tell people from New England that they don't have the highest elevation resorts in the east, and let them guess which ones are. :D

To be 100% correct it should be phrased "highest lift served elevation in the east". I believe Mt Washington;s summit is a little bit higher up than Beech or Sugar, like 800 feet. But Tucks and top of the Headwall (5100 ft) are not.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
To be 100% correct it should be phrased "highest lift served elevation in the east". I believe Mt Washington;s summit is a little bit higher up than Beech or Sugar, like 800 feet. But Tucks and top of the Headwall (5100 ft) are not.

Well I said "resort" which in my mind implies lift-served (though I realize it doesn't have to....).

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
For the first time that I can remember a NC resort was the first to open in the East. I believe Cataloochee beat Killington by a whole 2 hours.
Cataloochee wins The Woodbury Trophy. Hats off to Cataloochee. Killington opened at 11 so you beat us by 2.5 hours with your 8:30 opening. Last year Killington opened 3 hours before A-Bay due to the Eastern time zone. A fun preseason topic the quickly becomes moot once the lifts are turning. With this late a start it kills the chance for a 200 day lift served season for the Beast

TS
Carolinacub

Carolinacub

Skier
Cataloochee wins The Woodbury Trophy. Hats off to Cataloochee. Killington opened at 11 so you beat us by 2.5 hours with your 8:30 opening. Last year Killington opened 3 hours before A-Bay due to the Eastern time zone. A fun preseason topic the quickly becomes moot once the lifts are turning. With this late a start it kills the chance for a 200 day lift served season for the Beast
It might be late for ya'll but we're reveling in the early opening.

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
Well I for one am mortally offended by the "Mid-Atlantic" designation of our Old North State. Clearly not enough of us South Easterners around for a protest quorum.

Looking cold at night this weekend though so keep those snow guns pumping!

Kemperski

Getting on the lift
Skier
I have a flight booked for denver Dec. 10 however I think I will cancel. Western trips are pretty precious to me and the promise of an epic october is not being kept by november (flight is Southwest so canceling has no penalty just apply it to a later trip, within a year) soo....

Now I'm keeping my eye mostly on Sugar and Beech which have some sustained cold temps and even a little natural in the forecast. Congrats to Cataloochee, but won't go there without a lot more open, nice thing about sugar and beech is that it's top to bottom when they do get open.

(Carolinacub, this may finally be the year that I ski the Wolf, and I don't mean the one in CO)

Sponsor