• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

East Coast Racer moving west

davjr96

Getting off the lift
Skier
I’m preparing to move out to CA after graduation and looking to switch around my ski quiver. I’ve been an east coast skier all my life and spent college racing so I’m looking for a pair of skis that fit my style but can handle the real mountains/snow once I get out there. I’ll be in the Bay Area so probably spend most of my time at Squaw/Sugar Bowl/Kirkwood but will hopefully get to Mammoth and others occasionally.

I’m looking for a ski to handle 90% of the conditions I’ll be able to ski as a weekend warrior. I’m on the smaller side (5’ 5” 130) but ski pretty aggressively with my racing background. I currently own a pair of FIS SL skis (157), GS skis (176) and Faction CT 3.0s (162). I loved the Factions when I took a trip to Mammoth this year but wish I had gotten something slightly longer and heavy. I was getting tossed around in the chop after 70" of heavy snow (could be a technique thing too). I’ll be getting rid of the race skis before I move but keeping the Factions. I’m looking for something to compliment them. Something slightly narrower 95-105 and longer around 170 or more. I want something that skis almost like my GS skis but can handle fresh snow. So long, heavy, and fast. These will be mostly inbounds as I have a dedicated lightweight touring setup.

So far I have been looking at:

Atomic Bentchentler 100 in 172
Moment PB&J in 174
Moment Deathwish in 174
4Frnt Hoji in 179 (worried about the length but they don’t come shorter)

Are there any others I should consider looking at? Do any of these fit my criteria? I don’t have much experience out west besides a weekend at Mammoth and a couple of summer days at Squaw/Snowbird so these are mostly guesses from reading online and knowing what I like about good east coast skis and attempting to translate that to something wider.

Thanks!

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
youd be surprising I could see you handling a mid to low 180 out west if your techincally skilled.....in fact longer skis are far easier to balance on in 3d snow. I am larger than you, but I prefer a low 190s for fresh snow and chop out west, and my wife who is your size and probably not as aggresive use mid 170 when in the east and has even skied my 187 Hojis well. SHe found the Hoji fairly easy in 3d snow, and its not demanding in that environment at all.

I own the 187cm Hoji and its far better in soft snow than anything you are listing but isnt as good on hard snoiw/bump as more conventional skis, I would scarp the the Faction 3.0 if it was me as they are simply too short and will never be the right ski out there for you.

If I was you and your size and your back ground

Id get a

keep the race skis, the GS skis will be nice on hard snow even out there
169cm Enforcer 93(or something like)
179cm Hoji(or something like, but really there is nothing like it)

being that your light that E93 will handle the hardest off piste, most groomed days and honestly probably better in all 3d snow than your super short factions, the Hoji Charge though variable, but because they are full on reverse camber will pivot super easily. Length is easier in variable snow, and anyone who says other wise is either a hack, or a superstar PSIA Demo team type.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I'd think about the ever popular 177cm Enforcer 100, mounted with a Tyrolia Aaatack demo binding, so that you can figure out the right mounting point for your needs {size being one factor}. That ski will do what you want in 95% of your ski days, and if you want to refine a broader quiver, maybe move to a 93E as Josh suggests, and a wider soft/deep snow ski, the E100 will be an easy sale. I'd also keep the GS skis, for sure. Even out there, you'll have a few very hard snow days, and some "low tide" days, particularly early season.

Some of your choices may change once you figure out, after a season, where you will be doing a lot of skiing, what terrain, what surfaces, etc. For example, Mammoth is a haul from SF. Might be a once a season thing, and maybe late season? You'll figure it out!

Lots of options for sure. We have two adult kids who are full time coaches in CA, and two nieces, ex NCAA racers all, who are in SF.
Full disclosure, some Nordica affiliations in that group, too.

Good luck with the move. You'll love it.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
yeah I think maybe 177cm especially in the softer E100......my wife is his size, but she is slow compared to true rippers, but the 169cm E93 she has float her quite well, only time she goes bigger is over foot or some sort of weirdness to the snow.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Love my Enforcer 100s as a Swiss Army Knife do it all ski, but with your background, and what you described in your post, I am going to recommend the Fischer Pro Mountain 95 -- although it does not tick your "heavier" box.

Enjoy your relocation!

TS
davjr96

davjr96

Getting off the lift
Skier
Thanks for the responses guys! Looks like the enforcer should definitely be on my list. I will also take a look at the Fischers. Does anyone have any experience with the Black Crows Anima? Seems like it might fit the bill and I can get a good deal on them (and other black crows).

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for the responses guys! Looks like the enforcer should definitely be on my list. I will also take a look at the Fischers. Does anyone have any experience with the Black Crows Anima? Seems like it might fit the bill and I can get a good deal on them (and other black crows).

You'll get more input on that ski if you start another thread with "Black Crows Anima" in the title.

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier

I’d go Atrises over Animas if you’re looking for something stronger than the CTs. Also, if you’re smitten by those but looking for something less park-specific, the Prodigy line has your name all over it.