• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

East coast carver options

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hello all,

Starting to put together a list of skis to round out my quiver. Currently have a pair of Blizzard Rustler 9 180s and Bramhas also in 180 and am looking for more of pure groomer carver. I primarily ski PA and a lttile bit NY with a few trips to VT. I just returned to skiing last year after a long break and would say that I’m a strong intermediate and progressing quickly. Mainly skis blues and some blacks. I like to go fast but am often skiing with my kids and taking our good old time. I’m a big boy coming in at 6’2” and 240 lbs. So far I’m thinking about:

Stockli Laser AX in 175 or 183 Seems to get rave reviews overall but I haven’t been able to find them locally to demo. I assume that I probably should lean towards the 183s given my size or should I consider the 175s? Mostly interested in medium to long radius turns.

Liberty V76 179s. Lots of good feedback on these also but can’t demo them locally so I’d have to buy without trying.

Head Supershape iRally 177s I got on these briefly and can spend some more time demoing them at my local mountain. Liked them but they seemed to really like constant input and wonder how that would be when doing more laid back skiing with the kids? Might just need some more time on them to get a better feel.

Any thoughts on this list or other recommendations to consider would be appreciated. Thanks!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Salomon S/Max Bast
Rossi Hero Plus
K2 Supercharger
Are three skis that come to mind. All very strong and will hold up to your big frame and will help you grow.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I have Rallys as one of my carvers. They are great skis that I don't feel require that I be on them all the time. I teach in them and they do whatever I ask of them including ski very slow when with beginners on green terrain.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I don't know, as a big guy myself, I have learned it's best to not relax and cruise. That leads to injuries when the snow snakes bite you. Too much mass! I now try to ski intentionally no matter what, even if I am just working down an easy green with friends. Always something on the sides of the trails to take advantage of. I ski a Rossi Hero Elite LT in 183 cm for my carver.

TS
mikes781

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Salomon S/Max Bast
Rossi Hero Plus
K2 Supercharger
Are three skis that come to mind. All very strong and will hold up to your big frame and will help you grow.

Thanks I'll add them to my list to check out!

I have Rallys as one of my carvers. They are great skis that I don't feel require that I be on them all the time. I teach in them and they do whatever I ask of them including ski very slow when with beginners on green terrain.

Appreciate it. I'll definitely give them another try when I demo a few others.

I don't know, as a big guy myself, I have learned it's best to not relax and cruise. That leads to injuries when the snow snakes bite you. Too much mass! I now try to ski intentionally no matter what, even if I am just working down an easy green with friends. Always something on the sides of the trails to take advantage of. I ski a Rossi Hero Elite LT in 183 cm for my carver.

LOL just above every wipeout I've had this year has been goofing around skiing down flat green groomers and at least two of those times has been right under a full lift. :golfclap: I'm pretty sure I saw those Rossi's in the shop at my local hill yesterday along with the Rallys. I think they carry Salomon also. Would be good to put them up against each other. Now if I can just find somewhere with the Stockli's and Liberty's.

Chef23

Getting on the lift
Skier
I am 6'200 pounds and have the 177 Rally and find I can relax on them. Another ski you might consider is the Fischer Curv GT. It comes in a 182 which might be good for your size. I spend a couple of days on them out west but think they would be great on the east coast (I live and do most of my skiing in New England)

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I am 6'200 pounds and have the 177 Rally and find I can relax on them. Another ski you might consider is the Fischer Curv GT. It comes in a 182 which might be good for your size. I spend a couple of days on them out west but think they would be great on the east coast (I live and do most of my skiing in New England)
Yeah, "relax" might have been strong a word in my post. Stay loose and don't want to be stiff, but keep those thoughts on productive skiing. At 6'6", 230 lb, my skis are all on the stiffer side.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
The Rally and Titan can be smeared around a bit and skied slow when required. It's really had to find anything that's damp and strong that is really happy smearing at slow speeds and will still dig an edge in going 40 MPH.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
The Ititans I have seemingly can be skied stupid slow and they are fine....but then again I feel all my skis are fine going slow on a groomer.... BTW is skis much easier than the Curv Gt but doesnt have the absolute edge grip.

Id sell my pair for 300 dollars + shipping. I only want rid of them because Ill be happier on the Brahma 82.....

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've got the Titans and the Nordica GT84s.

The Titans have a higher top end, but conversely, everywhere else, the GT84s just feel zippier and happier. They are probably a bit softer. They also have a little less sidecut for off-piste, but the softer flex seems to allow them to make just as tight of on-piste turns as the Titans.

I'm 6'2" and 200.

James

Out There
Instructor
Atomic X9 Wide - smoother flex and bigger sweet spot than the Rally, IMO
Isn't that next year's ski?

I found the Atomic S9,172cm, to be heavy and non compliant. Give me my fis sl's anyday. Lighter, easier, does what you want.

TS
mikes781

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks all for the input. Have a pretty good list to wade through now.

I have to say I keep thinking about those stockli ax’s. Is a big boy like me going to be too much for them?

TS
mikes781

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks again for the suggestions. I got to try both the Head iRally and Salomon S/Max. Liked them both and was leaning towards to the iRally when I came across a Laser AX 182 demo and pulled the trigger. Only have two days on them so far but all thumbs up so far. Glad that I didn’t go shorter.

Sponsor