• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

shrapnel888

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I’m looking for a carving ski that I’ll use exclusively on the east coast (VT and NH). I’ve been debating between a few Head models: 1) supershape I.speed 2) super shape I.magnum 3) head wc rebel I.speed 4) wc rebel I.SL wc rebel I.SLR.

About me: I’m 36, 5’9, 180 lbs. I raced in college in a very laid back D3 league. I have Icelantic shamans for skiing out west but out east I’m railing trenches on hard pack 99% of the time so I don’t need much versatility. The main challenge is that my wife is an intermediate that likes blues and taking her time on blacks so would be nice to still enjoy the ski somewhat without having to go mach5 all the time. I’m in good shape and don’t mind exerting myself, but I’m also trying to avoid the type of skis that just don’t feel fun unless I’m going 50+ mph. While I like going fast, east coast resorts are so crowded that I can’t let loose all the time anyway, so it would be nice to feel the skis have a little bend when I’m not going full throttle. I know there’s always going to be some sacrifice with performance/technical skis at slower speeds, I’m just hoping to find the more playful end of the spectrum and avoid that feeling I’ve had with some skis that it’s not even worth turning on blues or if you’re not going top speed.

I figured a race inspired ski or entry level race ski geared towards lighter skiers might be a good match but I haven’t tried any of these models yet and curious to hear what people think or I’m open to other suggestions too. I’d like a medium to medium/small turning radius or can be outside of that range if the skis versatile. I’m also just wondering what the main differences are between the two lines are (supershape VS WC rebels). Thanks everyone, really appreciate your help.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The main challenge is that my wife is an intermediate that likes blues and taking her time on blacks so would be nice to still enjoy the ski somewhat without having to go mach5 all the time. I’m in good shape and don’t mind exerting myself, but I’m also trying to avoid the type of skis that just don’t feel fun unless I’m going 50+ mph.

Same story here. Given that, out of your choices, I'd choose the Magnum.

I happen to know firsthand that my fairly similar Titans work very well for your stated purpose. ogwink

Bendu

Sock Puppet
Pass Pulled
Why not the I.Rally? At your skillset all the consumer Supershapes will be pretty docile and easy to play around with at slower speed. I would avoid the I.Speed and the Rebels IMO. Even the SL ski requires quite a bit of speed to be fun, where as the Rally, Maguam and Titan are all pussy cats for skilled skiers are slower speeds.

If you look else where the RC-One GT-82 from Fischer is another great choice. Closer to the I-titan but phenomenal edge grip on hard snow with just some added versatility .

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have the SS iSpeed's , and they arent so demanding. I have been using them in lessons, and they are nice , easy turning skis. After class you can let them rip , though

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
Of the ones you listed, only the SL skis will be good for noodling around, the others need speed to begin to bend. I'd take a strong look at the Rally and Titan, both initiate at reasonable speeds, love hardpack and 6" of fresh is no big deal. 177CM should work well for ya.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I'll second the Rally or Titan. The design is changing for next season, so this season's stock will be well discounted soon enough. In the rebels family, the iRace or iRace Pro would be nice.

(The Rebels iSpeed is Franz Klammer's favorite rec ski FWIW, and every ski you've mentioned can easily be skied slow and 'brushy' if needed. It depends on the tune somewhat, and of course the pilot.)

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
A 177cm i.Rally would work well for you and is quite fun and versatile. The 175cm and 180 cm i.Race are quite nice, but are more precise, have a higher speed limit, but a smaller sweet spot than an i.Rally.

TS
S

shrapnel888

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
A 177cm i.Rally would work well for you and is quite fun and versatile. The 175cm and 180 cm i.Race are quite nice, but are more precise, have a higher speed limit, but a smaller sweet spot than an i.Rally.
Thanks, do you think the i.races have enough radius to slide every now and then while giving instruction?

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
The two skis that seem to keep being mentioned are the Rally and the Titan, both are great skis. I own the Rally and have skied the Titan several times. I am a lot older and I can ski my Rally all day it is such a fun ski. The Titan is a ski that is a bit more demanding and I can only ski it in the morning, but the OP is a young person and could have a blast on it. It is 80 MM under foot and would be more versatile for the east coast front side carving ski.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have not skied on Heads very much, just the titan, which at 177 was not long enough for me. They are good skis, and I would like to demo them in the future.

My message is the Fischer Curv series is another similar front side carving ski (72-74- 80mm wide) that is being discontinued and heavily discounted. Either the Curv (Booster) or the Curv DTX are worth considering. I own the DTX in 178cm and like a lot. I use it to race coach at a small MA hill. See current post on this site about them.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
The I.races have a lot less side cut and need more speed to initiate than the rally or Titan. They are a sub-optimal teaching/noodling around ski because they need to be going fast to demonstrate a carved turn. The other options wake up a lot quicker and are much better skis for family time and instruction while still hitting 40+ mph without chatter. I averaged over 38 MPH on a peak to creek run at whistler on my titans, my legs were the limiting factor. The rally/Titan is a wildly popular teaching ski for a reason.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Thanks, do you think the i.races have enough radius to slide every now and then while giving instruction?

I'm probably an outlier, but I disagree that the iRace has to go fast to work. As far as general instruction use, It's all about the tune and structure. I use a 1/3 specifically because I DO teach and clinic with these. I ski the 175 iRace Pro. (15.5 turn radius... 5'11" #205, Raptor 140 and B3.)

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I am roughy Marko’s size. “OK with my skiing”, pretty extensive race and coaching background over a lot of years. And based in northern New England. Also ski mid week a fair amount closer to Boston.

I agree with his comments on the i.race, which I ski in a 170cm. Mine are tuned at .75/3 and kept in great shape. Up until last year, my everyday east coast hard snow groomer skis were the I.race, and a 180cm i.speed pro. Depending on the day, where I’d be skiing, with whom, the surface. I have had multiple pairs of both. I probably spilt 90% of my ski days between those two. I really like the skis in those specific lengths.

I’m very comfortable skiing at any speed, including very slow, on the i.race, and bending them into smaller turn shapes. I think they’re a pretty darn versatile ski.

I have a pretty solid Head connection for skis. I have some 195cm/30M GS, which I very rarely ski. Have not touched some SL’s in a couple of seasons. Those are real WC skis...as in raced on the WC. Too much precision!

A year ago, I ended up with a pair of Super Shape I.Speeds. 177cm. I thought I might want the 184cm, but was shipped a 177cm based on a strong friend recommendation.

I love the ski. Fun, Great energy. Very versatile. Easy. Big sweet spot. I can ski it anywhere. And at any real speed, free skiing with friends speed. Sometimes that can be slowish. Sometimes plenty fast! I am a lot more impressed with it than I had expected. I knew that I would like, but this one is great.

Now...full disclosure. I’m not writing checks for these skis. But this trio have proven to be very good Eastern hard snow skis. Home epitomizes “Eastern hard snow groomer cruising,” with some good soft snow groomers thrown in. And a bunch of other “stuff.”

I have a LOT of friends who teach on the Rally, and others who ski the Titan 95% of the time in the East. Love them.

BTW, my wider skis are not Heads. And they rarely get used at home. Takes the very rare day!

These three work for me.

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
While I have used the 177 i.Rally and i.Titan as sport carvers (tuned 1/3), I have not tried the Supershape i.Speed--may have to give it a try as it sounds interesting. I am curious how it will compare with the Stockli SC. For me, the Supershapes have felt more fun, versatile, and relaxed, in a variety of resort terrain, but not as capable as the more precise and exciting Rebels i.Race in both 175 and 180 (tuned 0.5/3). For GS I have the more recreational oriented Rebels i.Speed in 185cm/19m, as well as the more race focused Rebels i.GS RD Pro 186cm/25m and FIS 188cm/30m.

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
Forgot about this thread and figured I should update it.

As noted in another thread, based on Muleski's outstanding recommendation, I acquired the 177cm SuperShape i.Speed and fortunately got to ski them one weekend right before the season crashed to a halt. The SS i.Speed is now my favorite SuperShape! They definitely exceed the capabilities of the i.Rally or i.Titan.

The 177cm SS i.Speed is a quick sport carver with a nominal 15m turn radius, reminiscent of a FIS SL in general sensation, but somewhat less energetic, frentic, and aggressive. The SS i.Speed is closer in feel to the Rebel i.Race (a wide turn SL feel) than the confusingly similarly named Rebel i.Speed (more of a cheater tight GS sidecut), but the SS i.Speed is more relaxed, has a larger sweet spot, and is more tolerant of mistakes than the Rebel i.Race or i.Speed, while lacking the Rebels top end speed and stability. The difference in capability between the SS i.Speed and Rebel i.Race is much narrower than the gap between the Rebel i.Race and the other SuperShapes, including the i.Rally and i.Titan.

The 177cm SS i.Speed also reminds me of my 177cm Stockli SC, but the SS i.Speed while similarly quick, is not quite as refined, smooth, or damp as the Stockli, but the Head was half the price of the Stockli while offering 90% of the capability so there is that to factor in....

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
You guys have a lot of skis.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Don't you have a bunch too?

Yeah, I do. Shhh. I don't have three or four pair of Head race(ish) models with only subtle differences, though. (Yet!) Definitely getting a case of carving ski envy here. Opportunities to test most of the skis mentioned are not common.

Sponsor