• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Early season visit to mainland USA 2017/2018 - Recommendations Please

Baldrick

Booting up
Skier
Hi everyone

We are planning to visit family in PA this coming Christmas and want to ski for 12-14 days on the return journey across to the west coast. Start date would be around the end of January. This is a chance to visit some resorts that we hear so much about. One thought is to base ourselves at SLC, and use a rental car. but there is also Colorado as an option, plus we're hopeful there may be other likely contenders? the wish list is: Better chance of good snow conditions, tree lined runs for when it's cloudy/foggy, good wide groomers and some off piste. We are in our early 60's so the terrain need not be super radical steep or suchlike. It would also be nice to be in true alpine surroundings with some dramatic scenery around us. We have been skiing 25 ish days per season for the last 2-3 years and are comfortable on single black runs. There would be 3 in our group. thanks for any and all thoughts. Cheers.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
True alpine scenery is not the US's strongest forte. Compared to the Alps a lot of Colorado and Utah is kinda meh - high base elevation and lifts being put on more rounded mountains being part of the mix. That said Aspen Highlands is pretty cool and Jackson obviously v strong for scenery and general vibe ( though maybe not that different from rural South Island depending on what I read about billionaires building world meltdown ranch retreats there). Tahoe is very scenic but given track record in recent years probably still a bit of a gamble booking far out if it gets served by the stormtrain.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
You have the luxury to wait before making a decision. By mid-December the storm tracts will start to clarify for North America and the snow situation will start to shake itself out. Summit County Colorado often has the first areas to open for the season but "NORMALLY" by early January pretty much everything is open.

The character and geography of the Western US varies greatly. Consider a road trip and follow the storms a little; if you have 2 weeks to work with there are a lot of potentials. Denver to Salt Lake is about a 1 day drive, with probably 20 quality ski areas along the way with a few detours. Salt Lake to Jackson Hole about 1/2 a days drive with a couple of more places of interest that are often overlooked like Pebble Creek near Pocatello, ID.

Take a look over on PlanetSki.com. They just did a one month version of this and wrote well about it. In a month they still missed a lot.

Follow your nose a bit, it would be a great adventure.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I agree that this is something that can wait a bit before you need to make a decision. I'd wait so long as to see what early season is doing for both areas. Flights from PA to SLC/DEN aren't going to be astronomical at that time if you pick your days right and avoid the MLK holiday.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The only thing about waiting is the OP should consider the price for waiting. Specifically, if he wants to buy a pass. Epicpass or mcp or maxx. He can save quite a bit if he can commit to a pass now. In other words, the flexibility to keep his options open until the season starts will cost him quite a lot.

Also with a start date is end of January. this is actually well into the season so I would not consider it early season. Even in a lean snow year the resort will be open. It may only just be groomers but it will be open

Last edited:

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
After reading OP's preferences, I would propose the Epicpass or Maxx are possibly the better choices to consider.
The MCP's spotlight resorts of Jackson and Snowbird aren't good if the OP main focus is wide groomers and I think they'd have more fun at a different resort.
You don't have to stick strictly to the pass, just use it as the majority of the days. Can always still go to another resort not on the pass and pay a dayticket price.

To clarify, the true deadline to decide is probably in early to mid November. The prices will be higher than right now but perhaps only by 10% to 15% as they increase by $20 every few months. But then at the true deadline, they will stop selling passes completely and you are either in or locked out and paying day tickets.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Colorado:
Telluride. Most beautiful alpine scenery in the lower 48 and a real western town. Lots of wide open groomers as well as tree lined runs. Very different from the Alps but simply beautiful. The drive along the Delores River is one of the sweetest anywhere. And the area around there is rural and unspoiled.

Steamboat Springs. The Alpine is not as dramatic but that time of year is good skiing conditions, the town is nice and the cruising and a little off piste stuff is terrific.

Utah:
Cottonwood canyons are more about the skiing than an American West experience. Why go to Alta for pretend Euro atmosphere and Snowbird has great skiing but the charm of a bunker. Maybe Park City. Can't speak to Powder mountain or Snowbasin.

Wyoming:
Jackson Hole has a cool town and spectacular scenery. It's a gateway to Yellowstone and Grand Teton for heavens sake. But I don't know about the groomers. And it may be cold then.

TonyC

Contact me at bestsnow.net
Pass Pulled
I would vote for buying Mountain Collective.

Our ski area scenery may not measure up to the Alps, but Aspen Highlands, Telluride, Squaw, Mammoth and Jackson are among our best and have some high alpine ambience.

Salt Lake should be the gateway airport for its central location even if you don't spend a high proportion of your ski time at Alta, Snowbird and Snowbasin. You are positioned an easy day's drive west to the Sierra, north to Jackson or Sun Valley or east to Aspen/Telluride. You can make the choice which way to go when you arrive based on current conditions.

As for Jackson's cold weather, that's when you want to be there before warmer weather degrades the predominant SE exposure. Late Jan/early Feb is an ideal time there.

James

Out There
Instructor
Telluride. Most beautiful alpine scenery in the lower 48 and a real western town. Lots of wide open groomers as well as tree lined runs. Very different from the Alps but simply beautiful. The drive along the Delores River is one of the sweetest anywhere. And the area around there is rural and unspoiled.
Totally agree! Just gorgeous.

Well there is nothing really like the Alps in the US. Big difference is the towns are not in the mountains. Think more like Chamonix. ( But no, there's nothing like the Aiguille du Midi or Les Grand Montets). With that said, skiing can be much more efficient. Lots of runs per hour, not a lot of waiting for trams or getting from one place to the other. Trees!

If Jackson, you must go to Grand Targhee. Really beautiful. See below.
IMG_0802.JPG IMG_0803.JPG

Aspen. Which includes Aspen, Aspen Highlands, Buttermilk,Snowmass. Snowmass is still High desert- rounded mountains. Aspen/Highlands more jagged and rocky. The view from the hike up Highlands Bowl is one of the best in the US. The view from the top of Aspen where the gondola goes is fantastic.

Alta

Taos!! You want "surrounded by Alpine scenery" Taos Ski Valley (45 min from Taos village) is in the mountains. Small by western standards but special.

Be aware that altitudes are considerably higher than the alps. There's little skiing above 3,300 meters in the alps.(I think) Some places in the US the parking lot is at 3,300meters.

Last edited:

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Totally agree! Just gorgeous.

Well there is nothing really like the Alps in the US. Big difference is the towns are not in the mountains. Think more like Chamonix. ( But no, there's nothing like the Aiguille du Midi or Les Grand Montets). With that said, skiing can be much more efficient. Lots of runs per hour, not a lot of waiting for trams or getting from one place to the other. Trees!

If Jackson, you must go to Grand Targhee. Really beautiful. See below.
View attachment 21842 View attachment 21843

Aspen. Which includes Aspen, Aspen Highlands, Buttermilk,Snowmass. Snowmass is still High desert- rounded mountains. Aspen/Highlands more jagged and rocky. The view from the hike up Highlands Bowl is one of the best in the US. The view from the top of Aspen where the gondola goes is fantastic.

Alta

Taos!! You want "surrounded by Alpine scenery" Taos Ski Valley (45 min from Taos village) is in the mountains. Small by western standards but special.

Be aware that altitudes are considerably higher than the alps. There's little skiing above 3,300 meters in the alps.(I think) Some places in the US the parking lot is at 3,300meters.

Snowmass still has spectacular scenery and the terrain sounds exactly like what they want.

As for altitude, yes, but of course treeline is much higher, too, so it "feels" lower. Almost everywhere you will be able to find "tree lined runs for when it's cloudy/foggy."

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Beautiful photos James. Grand Targhee is on my early season bucket list for sure.

Daisy

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I see you live in Canterbury, Baldrick. Where do you ski locally? What are your favourite runs? Least favourite?

Also Cantabrians, we've skied a bit in Utah (plus a side trip to Jackson Hole) over the last few years. We haven't been to Colorado yet, or Tahoe, so I'm not going to be any help there, but it looks like there's plenty of good advice on that above.

Each of our trips annoyingly coincided with low snow cover (for Utah) and dry spells, so we're quite familiar with the worst-case scenario. However, low snow cover in Utah is not like low snow cover here. You'll still be able to ski, almost certainly without risk to your health or your skis. There may however, be hardpack, verging on ice, and certainly bumps, and some runs might be closed. But because of the altitude, there will still be snow on the ground, and even off-piste won't be completely off-limits.

Salt Lake City is a good hub to fly into, and drive from. Almost all ski areas in Utah are within an hour and a half's drive from the airport. Jackson Hole took around 5 hours to drive to (it was a while ago, so that's a bit of a guess, though we weren't in a hurry).

Assessing mountains on their scenic potential is fairly subjective. In NZ, we're used to seeing rugged mountains rising quite dramatically, almost from sea level. But they're lower in altitude, and the snow line looks quite a lot higher. Some of the inland ranges in the US appear less dramatic maybe because their bases are already at a high altitude. But that aside, there is some impressive alpine scenery in Utah (less so on the Park City/Deer Valley side of the Wasatch). For spectacular scenery, the Sundance resort (Mt Timpanogos is a beauty) further south is pretty cool, but Alta, Snowbird, Solitude and Brighton all have great views of rugged peaks too. Snowbasin also has excellent views -- the fog hanging over the Great Salt Lake from the top of the little tram is certainly a sight. Mostly it helps to be experiencing the views from up high, as opposed to looking up from below. Although Jackson Hole is rather scenic to look at.

All of them have tree-lined runs, though some (e.g. JH, Snowbird) have sparse to no tree cover at the tops, where the wind can be "bracing" at times. But there are alternative lifts to take when the weather is challenging.

I've only spent two days at Snowbird (where we were taking part in an off-piste clinic) and I didn't see that much in the way of cruisy groomer runs there. But then Alta, next door, has some easier skiing, and you can ski between the two resorts if you have the right pass. Often conditions can vary quite dramatically between the two, so it's nice to have that option. Off-piste skiing at both areas is fantastic and as gnarly or mellow as you want it to be. Big Cottonwood Canyon (Solitude and Brighton) is smaller, quieter, more low-key, but the terrain and snow conditions aren't that dissimilar. Maybe not as rugged and exposed up high.

Snowbasin is a bit of a gem. It's further from SLC, so it can be very quiet, and it has fun and easily accessed off-piste, which can take much longer to get tracked out than resorts closer to the city, plus some fantastic wide, long groomers. It hosted the 2002 Olympic downhill, so there's a decent vertical. The lodges are quite OTT luxurious. Snowbasin has decent snowmaking, which came in handy the first time we visited. Snow conditions can perhaps be a bit more variable than the others, but when its good, it's very good.

The Mountain Collective pass covers Alta, Snowbird, Snowbasin and Jackson Hole, plus a variety of other locations. If you have the 3-peak nzski.com pass, you already qualify for half-price skiing at those places. If not, Liftopia etc can be useful.

Park City is on Vail's Epic season pass which is probably more useful for a Colorado trip. I'm not sure I'd necessarily detour to Utah just to ski at PC. It's not that there's anything really wrong with it and it makes a good longer-term base (I spent a month there a couple of years ago) but there are definitely better nearby ski fields if you're planning to sample a few.

Deer Valley owns Solitude. There may be some pass benefits with that -- I haven't looked into it.

Skiutah.com can be a useful, centralised source of info.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Baldrick , nice to hear a trip is in the planning, agree with statements that SLC is a great place to base from.

As noted, by end of Jan the season is well on it's way. My family does it's annual trip from the midwest traditionally first week of Feb partially due to this (and sneaking kids out of school)

Spouse did a yr in HS in Dunedin, we have a Winter Park RMSP+ pass which gets discounted lifts at WinterPark and Copper and next year a limited number of Steamboat reduced rate lifts so feel free to PM me if interested. If I have extra's and you end up at one of these resorts, I can PDF them over to you.

I'm sure too, depending on your desire you can meet up with folks here who'd be happy to give you a tour of a resort if interested. Good bunch of folk here.

ps, SLC is around 1300m elevation, a good acclimation level.

pete

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
For true alpine scenery, fly into Calgary and drive through Banff and Lake Louise. Gives the further driving options of Kicking Horse, Panorama, and so on through Whistler.

I
I think Elk is awesome. Only place I've ski'd in PA but I caught it full open. Worth a day trip from Philly pre holiday rush? Yep if there's some natural I'd go.....

Sadly, the odds of anything south of Killington being open with natural snow for Christmas hols are infinitesmally small.

Last edited:

hrstrat57

Skis guitars Mustangs
Skier
For true alpine scenery, fly into Calgary and drive through Banff and Lake Louise. Gives the further driving options of Kicking Horse, Panorama, and so on through Whistler.

Sadly, the odds of anything south of Killington being open with natural snow for Christmas hols are infinitesmally small.

Lake Louise and Cortina Italian Alps are 1/2 on my ski bucket list - Alta no 3 get those done and I'll be satisfied

Maybe OP will get lucky with a freak PA storm, could happen!

This thread is gold.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I'm lame.

Maybe OP will get lucky with a freak PA storm, could happen!

This thread is gold.

They've happened, sure. But not in the sense of 'getting lucky' more in the sense of "natural catastrophe".

As in: if it snows that hard in PA they can't leave 'coz the flights are grounded. :eek:

Sponsor

Staff online