• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review Dynastar Glory 84 & AAAttack 11 sorta review

1chris5

Getting off the lift
Skier
2016 Dynastar Glory 84 / AAAttack 11 skis and bindings review (but can't review on snow yet)

My better half needed new skis (intermediate skier [maybe level 5]; athletic; intuitively good skier without any lessons (also IMHO totally hot). Started years ago on snow blades but learned that they are unstable at higher speeds. A few years ago we bought a used 2009-2010 Volkl Attiva Oceana 142cm [105-73-120]. Doesn't like the Volkl's thin waist: careful skier that gets bogged down in crud conditions. Her previous ski is now too narrow, too short and too heavy for its size. The goal was to find a ski that fits these parameters. The finalist were Volkl Yumi and Dynastar Glory 84. I liked the Yumi because it did not have a tip protector and the graphics were a little nicer. Ultimately we went with the Dynastar because the Yumi was only in 161cm and we thought it was a little too long. I also think the Dynastar's flex was probably a little softer.

Decided on ski waist @ 85mm and a longer, lighter ski. After looking at used skis like the Kastle LX 82; and new like the k-2 Oolaluv and the Head Total Joy; we targeted the Dynastar Glory 84. I felt it was a nice less expensive, intermediate to advanced ski that could be a tool that will help take her skiing to the next level. After surfing around, I noted skiessentials.com had the ski for @ $400. I contacted "Jeff" at skiessentials via messaging on Pugski Forum. He immediately gave me a one time use 10% off coupon. He then contacted me about a management decision for a 20% off sale the following weekend. With free shipping and free mounting the price was reduced to $320. While not an unbelievable steal, I think it was a great value.

I ordered late Friday night and the skis arrived the following Wednesday via UPS. We live in the Philadelphia area and they shipped from Stowe, VT.

First impressions upon unboxing, these skis are very attractive. The online photos do not do the graphics justice. The photos are flat and 2D. The actual graphic has geometric texture (lots of varied triangles via textured lines). The topsheet appears to have a tough coating that will help prevent unsightly scrapes and nicks. Unfortuately, my photos don't do these skis justice either. I will try to take pictures in natural light next time. They are fairly light. The ski core is Paulownia wood with no metal. This is a light wood. The AAAtacks are not very heavy and not being a demo model further reduces weight. The black bindings on these skis look great. These skis have a full vertical side-wall, so will help with torsional stiffness. One thing I found odd is the tip protector does not completely enclose the tip. There are significant gaps on the base side of the tip protector. I ask, is this no big deal? I feel like on a speedy fall, these could catch on ice or chunky snow and bend or rip off. Any thoughts? My wife is a very careful skier and it is at the tip of a rockered ski but just wondering about it.

Statistics
Glory 84

All mountain ski with a turning radius of 14m at 163. This ski is made for relatively short radius turns but I suspect it will work well for a variety of turn shapes. The sidecut of the ski is progressively 5-points. Meaning the widest part of the ski is where the rocker begins at the tip and tail. This effectively shortens the effective edge length. This is a medium rockered will ski considerably shorter than its 156cm length suggests.

AAAttack 11

Per Skis.com:

The Tyrolia Attack 11 is designed for intermediate or lightweight skiers looking for a lightweight package that is loaded with performance, and designed for skis wider than 80mm at the waist. Tyrolia's SX Heel locks you down and has fantastic energy transfer. The FR Toe has a low swingweight and horizontal springs that release you when you need to be and clamp you in when you need to be. 21mm of stand height adds leverage, and helps you roll skis on edge easily and efficiently. The Attack footprint is a wider connection that reduces torsional twisting and extra responsiveness out of your skis.
Per powder7.com:

The special Freeride (FR) Pro Toe with its horizontal spring reflects the modern architecture of the new Tyrolia AAA-Series. It includes a super secure 77 mm metal friction device (AFD Metal), which can be adjusted for alpine boots only.

The AAAttack 11 features a solid construction, reduced weight and a new designed heel, which brings this model to a new level.

FEATURES

• FR Pro Toe
  • AFD Metal
  • Race Heel
  • Stand height only 17mm
  • DIN: 3-11
  • Does not release horizontally
  • not sure which stand height is correct
  • I think the toe is the same as the '13' but I think the heal piece is a little less sturdy.
We only ski in the Poconos(Blue Mountain Resort). BTW Pocono whiteouts are not to be missed, especially on a stopped chairlift. In the near future we plan to move to NH/VT area so these skis should be versatile enough for light New England skiing. Currently we ski on mostly man-made snow but the conditions change frequently from ice to very soft snow to slush at the end of season. We are a one-ski quiver family, so versatility is important.

Conclusion
Ultimately we won't know if this was a good choice until she skis on them this winter. I am very happy with skiessentials and recommend anyone looking for a new ski to shop on the Pugski sponsors sites and consider purchasing from them if their pricing is comparable to other sites. Once the ski season starts, I will post another review on my wife's impressions and hopefully including an on slope video or two of the skis in action.

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
How do these Glory 84 differ from the Powertrack 84, do you know? Apart from the print, that is...

SkiEssentials

Slashing Turns and Prices
SkiTalk Sponsor
Thanks for the order! I agree I think the black Attack 11 looks awesome on that ski. I wouldn't worry about the tip protector design. Just about all of Dynastar's skis have a similar style protector and we haven't had any issues with durability. If something did happen to it it's likely a part we could replace pretty easily.

SkiEssentials

Slashing Turns and Prices
SkiTalk Sponsor
How do these Glory 84 differ from the Powertrack 84, do you know? Apart from the print, that is...

The Glory 84 uses a paulownia wood core, the Powertrack 84 uses a poplar wood core. I also believe the mount point is slightly different, although I haven't measured. Dynastar says they have a "Women Specific Stance."

John O

Getting off the lift
Skier
One thing I found odd is the tip protector does not completely enclose the tip. There are significant gaps on the base side of the tip protector. I ask, is this no big deal? I feel like on a speedy fall, these could catch on ice or chunky snow and bend or rip off. Any thoughts? My wife is a very careful skier and it is at the tip of a rockered ski but just wondering about it.

I wouldn't worry about that, it doesn't look like an issue at all to me.

Sponsor

Staff online