• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Spaztic

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hello all.

I'm in the market for new FIS SL skis for shits and giggles. I've scoured the forums (and the web, in general), and can't find much about Dynastar's FIS SLs. Lots of info and feedback about other brands, though.

There are still new 2017-2018 pairs floating around out there for a pretty good discount, but I'd like to get some feedback about them before I pull the trigger, please.

Anybody had a chance to ski these? How do they stack up with any of the other FIS SL skis?

Thanks!

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I know the Speed Zones tested well by Pugski tester don't know if any of them tested an FIX SL ski.

@ScotsSkier can you offer some input?

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
It is an excellent ski. For 17-18, Rossi / dynastar changed the dimensions of the 165 slalom ski - narrower tip - and moved the plate forward. It made what wa# already a very good ski better. I found it to be more reponsive/ quicker turn in and quicker to come off and change edge/ direction. Currently my favorite fis slalom ski and what I am racing on. IMHO,the dimension change was a much bigger improvement than the R 22 plate on the19 ski ( same dimensions) which TBH, I could not feel any real difference. You can tell the 17-18 Rossi straight away by the orange rather than black tip protector. I am on the road so can’t check but IIRC the tip dimension is 116 rather than 118 on the 16-17 ski ( I have owned and raced on both)

TS
Spaztic

Spaztic

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Thank you very much for the quick and helpful reply. Just to confirm, these are the skis we're talking about, yeah?

s-l1600.jpg

maxwerks

Booting up
Skier
It is an excellent ski. For 17-18, Rossi / dynastar changed the dimensions of the 165 slalom ski - narrower tip - and moved the plate forward. It made what wa# already a very good ski better. I found it to be more reponsive/ quicker turn in and quicker to come off and change edge/ direction. Currently my favorite fis slalom ski and what I am racing on. IMHO,the dimension change was a much bigger improvement than the R 22 plate on the19 ski ( same dimensions) which TBH, I could not feel any real difference. You can tell the 17-18 Rossi straight away by the orange rather than black tip protector. I am on the road so can’t check but IIRC the tip dimension is 116 rather than 118 on the 16-17 ski ( I have owned and raced on both)

A few years on, I'm still happily training on these red tipped rossignol SL r21. Wondering if it's worth replacing with the latest r22 model and what difference the line control tech vs prop tech makes?

SkiSpeed

Getting off the lift
Skier
I have a pair of the 17-18 FIS Dynastar/Rossi SL skis (black/orange graphics): 116-67-103 measurements. Strong ski, quick turning!, and they own hard pack/racing snow. Go for it.

Juha

Booting up
Skier
Hello, I have a pair of 18-19 model of this ski in Rossignol colour (normal FIS version, not a code ski). I really like the ski as well. It is very responsive ski and initiation of the turn feels easy.
It feels much more responsive vs Fischer, Atomic or Nordica/Blizzard counterparts. I think it comes partly from the fact that plate and binding is much more forward vs Austrian counterparts for example. Also the ski feels a bit more flexible, but I have not measured the actual flex stiffness - just my butt feeling.
It is my 2nd favorite SL ski at the moment - my current favorite for SL is Head i.SL RD (19-20 model) in ladies length (156 cm version) - which is "acceptable" for masters. Very much the same feeling as the Rossi/Dynastar, but I feel it is somewhat "snappier" and easier through the course. However, my tune is a bit different in these skis as well - a bit less base angle and heel a bit more up on Heads vs my Rossi setup. Side edge is 87 on both.

Spaztic, I hope ended up buying it in the end. Any feedback now?

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
In the Pugski forum for used gear, @ScotsSkier just opened a thread where he is selling 4 pair of 165 Sl's with bindings. I would strongly recommend checking our his gear, as many have bought race skis through him and give high praise.

Just a personal opinion, but, few recreational skiers appreciate the small differences in Sl race skis, damn few can ski them with the speed and technique of real racers. I skied a several years old Fischer FIS Sl on my hard snow home mountain in Pa., and, enjoyed the ability of SL skis to make short terms and hold an edge. they became my daily driver when hard snow plagued the east. You should adapt to the Sl ski, assuming you have decent carving skills now. It is hard to believe a 165 can go so fast with stability.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
With Dynastar, owned by Rossi/Lange, there is apparently a change coming, being discussed, or one that may have already mostly happened. I've heard, at least, that the Dynastar race division will no longer be as independent from Rossi race development as has been the case, and that this means most race innovations will go through Rossi, and less than formerly from Dynastar. I know a rep who is slightly frustrated by this, or at least the prospect of this.

For a time there, I'd heard that Dynastar was being given the management of the softer flexing versions of many race skis of both divisions, whereas Rossi was handling the medium and stiffer flexes. I'm not sure if this separation of functions ever took place in practice, however. My ignorance is vast, most likely, and I'd appreciate anyone filling me in here, or making corrections.

Up to recently, at least, Dynastar race division has been formidable, had a lot of independence, and came up with many great designs and adjustments.

Sponsor

Staff online