• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
OK, I know making a fresh one that work right is an art form. I’m reasonably fortunate to have one that seems to work well.

It’s been like 10 years. It now has lots of cracks on the bottom part from being removed and put back into the boot shell many many times. Though the “shape” part of the foot bed is still doing its job fine. And I’ve since stopped taking the liners out unless absolutely necessary. (I glanced through the thread on whether to remove the liner to dry boots, but found no consensus).

I’m thinking perhaps I should have another one/copy made before the current one completely disintegrates. Besides, I would like to have the option to take my liners out from time to time without worrying about my foot bed breaking into pieces.

How tricky is it to have my current foot bed “duplicated”? Is that something that can be reliably done by any competent foot fitter? Or am I looking at almost like making a new one, and better reserve it to only the boot fitter who did it initially?

Reason I ask is I’m 4 hrs drive away from the shop where I got it. And 10 years on, I’m not even sure the same fitter is still there.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Duplicating one is going to be more work than just getting a new one made. Are you 4hrs away from a bootfitter, or just 4hrs from where you got the previous ones made?

Any competent fitter can make a good custom footbed.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
If you know the footbed brand or at least the method used for creation (weighted, semi-weighted, or unweighted) then you can investigate people closer to you that use the same system and be more confident that it will result in something that you know you like.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Technology has improved. Both my local bootfitter (Buck at Olympic Bootworks in Squaw Valley) and my PT (Ben Harwood at Rehab United in San Diego) custom made me orthodics that solved specific problems.

In ten years, your feet have changed, your liner has packed out and new boots are better. Go all new! You might get another ten years!

Eric

TS
S

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
If the impression was made when I was standing up, does that mean it’s “weighted”? Or “semi-weighted”?

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
If the impression was made when I was standing up, does that mean it’s “weighted”? Or “semi-weighted”?

Fully weighted. Most likely a Sidas or possibly Instaprint footbed. Is there any labeling/branding on the current footbeds?

James

Out There
Instructor
Your feet change. Most will say 3 years is the lifespan of a footbed, also because of the feet.
Just get a new one made by someone recommended. There's a chance it's worse. Then move on to another.