• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

AltaFan

Booting up
Skier
I've been an infrequent skier the last 5+ years still riding some old Rossignol Energy 194s I bought in 1998. I'm probably now back to a 5-10 day/yr skier mostly in Tahoe with trips to Utah too and ready for new skis. I'm just over 6 ft and 210 lbs and would call myself Intermediate to Advanced. I ski most terrain and am pretty comfortable in most off piste (just spent a lot of time at Alta in areas like Catherines and Devil's Castle).

I've decided I'm upgrading to a new ski that will be my only pair covering off-piste and groomers with the kids. On a recent trip I demoed a bunch of skis:

Salomon QS99 - 181 - day after powder day, really enjoyed in the crud, ok on groomers
Nordica Enforcer 100 - 185 - didn't enjoy. felt heavy and sluggish to me. Had a hard time getting it around on turns.
Kastle LX 85 - 176 - didn't enjoy. too short/light.
Kastle FX95 - 181 - loved it. Was more of a groomer day, but did hit some off piste stuff with great performance. My fav ski.

So after that demo I was sold on the FX95 despite the price. It felt like it had that right balance of stability for ripping through the groomers, but solid performance cutting through crud and just enough float for me in powder. Did fine in moguls. Liked the way it rides best with my weight centered over the ski.

I did have a few questions for this group:

1. Are there other skis I should consider for my profile?
2. Any recommendations to go to the FX95 HP? I can get it for a good price (~$800 new). I'm not sure I need the metal. I like the idea of extra stability, but not sure I want the weight. Several people recommended it for bigger skiers.
3. I can also get the FX95 (non-HP) for a great price (~$700), but only in 189. Thoughts given that many people say the Kastle skis ride short? I probably won't be able to demo this length.

Thanks in advance for the advice in my first post.

Freddo Bumps

Booting up
Skier
I’d love to hear if anyone thinks you should consider Liberty Origin given your interest in the Kastle. I like the Origin (17/18...haven’t skied the 18/19) a lot and have been curious how the FX (both versions) compare.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Just to be the guy to respond to my own post, I also got a recommendation for Moment skis. Any opinions on these two?

https://www.momentskis.com/products/commander-108
https://www.momentskis.com/products/deathwish

Supposedly both really fun skis, but pretty different than what I was demoing.

I had the Deathwish and loved it. It is more of a soft snow all-mountain ski. Very versatile. It is not a wimpy ski but not hard to bend. It is mounted more towards the center than the skis you demoed. It is awesome in just about any off piste condition. In very firm groomers it is not super smooth but holds well.

I havent been on the FX95 but did a few runs on the MX89 180cm and loved it. Great feel on groomers but still capable off piste.

That said, there are so many good skis in that 85-105mm range that its hard to choose one without demoing.

TS
A

AltaFan

Booting up
Skier
That said, there are so many good skis in that 85-105mm range that its hard to choose one without demoing.

I think you sort of nailed it. It feels like I could spend weeks of an entire season demoing skis. Which would totally be fun if I didn't have a day job, mortgage and kids. :)

TS
A

AltaFan

Booting up
Skier
So after a weekend of absorbing tons and tons of information from this site (thanks!), I think I'm close to a decision. The final 3 for me are all a little different:
  • FX95 HP - Loved the non-HP version on a recent demo and feel like everything I've ready makes the HP seem like one of the more approachable metal skis. I like stability and I can get the HP for $800 which helps too. Only downside is that for a OSQ, I'm debating whether I want a wider ski which lead me to:
  • BMX 105 (non-HP) - The reviews are great on this ski, it has the extra width and by all accounts it handles groomers, crud and pow all super well. It isn't the most attractive ski, but everyone seems to have fun. It's not a far leap from the FX95 I demoed.
  • Moment Deathwish - Left field pick, but a friend loves it and all the reviews I've read talk about how much fun it is to ski. Seems like for the Sierras its particularly good in soft conditions.
So, my last few thoughts...I'm slightly concerned I'll miss out on updates to the Kastles next year since they are both due for updates. And I'm still not sure how I feel about ski waist width. Everything keeps getting wider and many people still seem to enjoy them on-piste. I guess it's one existential debate I'll need to resolve in my own head.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Since it will be your only ski go with the FX95. Lots of choices if you get back into quiver building. Updates means changes not necessary improvements. Trying to find the perfect ski in the correct length is hard enough without throwing in different versions.

Last edited:

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
A bit too late, but here are my 0.02. Forget about Moments, their skis are just not the same league as Kastle. At your size you should definitely be on 189 (FX series skis short), and you can handle the HP version. You liked that ski, so get it and enjoy. It is definitely worth the money.

BTW, if your deal falls through, I have a brand new unmounted 189 FX95HP for sale, and I may be able to beat your deal price. I had that as a spare pair, but my current FX95HP is going pretty strong, so I don't think I would need that spare any time soon.

TS
A

AltaFan

Booting up
Skier
Thanks for the offer @Alexzn , but I'm good on the 181. I also wanted to go longer, but actually preferred the 181 when I skied. Weird, but true.

Any specific binding recommendations for this ski? Was looking at the Tyrolia Attack2 13 GW since that is popular and reasonably priced.. I see the Look 12 and 14 too, but not sure what makes it worth the upgrade.

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
@AltaFan Tyrolia Attack is just fine. Great binding. I have Salomon STH2s on my FX95HPs, but I would have been just as happy withy Tyrolias. I am ijn the minority, but I do not like Look Pivots, the heel is just enough inconvenient to be annoying. At your size and weight you really should be on the 189, but I am not going to argue with the demo results. that's why you demo anyway. Enjoy the skis, they are an awesome off-piste machine, smooth ride.

TS
A

AltaFan

Booting up
Skier
Finally got out on the FX95 HPs on Saturday at Squaw and loved them. It was zero visibility and dumping snow, but I really enjoyed being on these skis. It took a couple runs to adjust to the stiffness but once I got used to it I was happy. They were great on and off piste. Looking forward to getting a couple more days in.