• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I ski WP and Luv mostly and even on soft packed powder which is most of my skiing I prefer the 1/3 angles. For what it's worth I am not a slarvy skier, I like to feel the edges engage and laying down RR tracks on the groomers below the bowls and trees is fun even on rockered skis.

Any idea on how much the life of a ski is reduced with the sharper angle? Is it 10 tunes or 100?

Do the 3, you know you love it. The durability depends on the snow you ski and how you ski it.

Guess what? For the type of snow you ski, the durability difference between 2 and 3 is absolutely minimal and you are far more likely to impact that durability by base grinds - as your base bevel wears and increases up to 2 degrees or more.

If you were skiing coral reef or junky crusty reefreeze or sharktoothed ice bumps or manmade dust on rutted slab - you'd be wanting 1/2 already.

Last edited:

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
So it this the only reason to stay with a 1/2 instead of a 1/3? Durability and life of the ski? I ski WP and Luv mostly and even on soft packed powder which is most of my skiing I prefer the 1/3 angles. For what it's worth I am not a slarvy skier, I like to feel the edges engage and laying down RR tracks on the groomers below the bowls and trees is fun even on rockered skis.

Any idea on how much the life of a ski is reduced with the sharper angle? Is it 10 tunes or 100?

IDK, but the deal between a 2 or a 3 side edge as far as durability is just poppycock.
I do some with a 4 side and really don't see any durability issues. Sure, if you hit some rock while sliding the ski, you may get a few edge chips, but you gonna get those anyway,
I would say as far as 10 or 100, that would depend on how much filing was done per tune. Eventually you need to totally re- file the side edge because a stone just can't keep up with the wear and tear.
Maybe 10 strong tunes and the edges are thin as.....................(fill in blank)
:beercheer:

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
IDK, but the deal between a 2 or a 3 side edge as far as durability is just poppycock.
I do some with a 4 side and really don't see any durability issues. Sure, if you hit some rock while sliding the ski, you may get a few edge chips, but you gonna get those anyway,
I would say as far as 10 or 100, that would depend on how much filing was done per tune. Eventually you need to totally re- file the side edge because a stone just can't keep up with the wear and tear.
Maybe 10 strong tunes and the edges are thin as.....................(fill in blank)
:beercheer:

I agree wholeheartedly about the durability of 2 vs 3. The difference in bevel is a small percentage of the actual edge itself. Regular stoning of the edges easily will keep either sharp.

Keep your edges in good condition with stone maintenance and flatten them with a stone grind when they become base high. Letting your skis get way out of tune requires more material removal to get a good tune.

I regularly tune my skis on machines (sorry @Jacques ;) and they don't have thin edges or bases. They are going to wear out (loose camber, snap) long before the edges and bases are thin. Of course, I am a conscientious tuner. If the tuner just throws your skis in a machine or files away without keeping an eye on what he's doing, then you could have toothpicks (thin edges and bases) long before the skis are worn out. This is one reason to maintain your own edges. If you maintain them, you won't need a shop tune nearly as frequently and be at the mercy of the shop tuner.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
And there is no such thing as a dumb question. Only dumb answers. Mine never are. :D

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
I agree wholeheartedly about the durability of 2 vs 3. The difference in bevel is a small percentage of the actual edge itself. Regular stoning of the edges easily will keep either sharp.

Keep your edges in good condition with stone maintenance and flatten them with a stone grind when they become base high. Letting your skis get way out of tune requires more material removal to get a good tune.

I regularly tune my skis on machines (sorry @Jacques ;) and they don't have thin edges or bases. They are going to wear out (loose camber, snap) long before the edges and bases are thin. Of course, I am a conscientious tuner. If the tuner just throws your skis in a machine or files away without keeping an eye on what he's doing, then you could have toothpicks (thin edges and bases) long before the skis are worn out. This is one reason to maintain your own edges. If you maintain them, you won't need a shop tune nearly as frequently and be at the mercy of the shop tuner.

I totally agree. Although one mans worn out ski is another mans treasure. I ski lots of "should be worn out" skis! Then again I'm not too heavy.
As my skis wear, the become base high (convex). I just use super sharp steel scraper to flatten then out. A bit of round tip and tail is okay for me though.
I don't get worried about base bevels growing a bit. When I want to turn I put the ski way up on edge.
I do tune for some folks that like a ski that will turn when barely tipped. These folks can't do high edge angle skiing.
For them a super flat base and not too much base bevel is good.

Have fun with that new machine!
And yes, no stupid questions.
That's what this forum is about no? Questions.

Sponsor

Staff online