Dryland drills for absorption?

Discussion in 'Ski School' started by TheArchitect, Jan 23, 2019.

1. TheArchitect

TheArchitect Working on my technique all the time Skier

Are there any dryland drills people do to get better at absorbing bumps? I sometimes have problems with being too inflexible (body and mind ogsmile ), hitting a bump and getting launched.

2. Jerez

Jerez Out on the slopes Skier

An elliptical machine, preferably lateral elliptical. instead of letting the machine push your feet, use it by keeping your upper body (from hips up) stationary vertically. That is, use only your legs going up and down under a still top half. Concentrate only on bringing your leg/knee up, not your foot down to make it go. Make sense? Great for that.

karlo and TheArchitect like this.
  3. Plai

Plai Paul Lai Skier

Here's a video discussing how to get comfortable on gentle rollers. Not exactly dry land, but not moguls either. I use the same in gentle bumps/cut-up snow in traverses to the same effect. Just try to keep the upper body stable, while the legs absorb.

4. Kneale Brownson

Kneale Brownson Out on the slopes Instructor

If you can’t find some rollers like that, you can try shallow angle traverses across a bump field, especially a less steep bump field. The goal is to be able to relax the legs and let the terrain push your feet up and then extend the legs to maintain ski/snow contact. The rollers would be easier for starting out.

5. 4ster

4ster Now with more photos! Instructor

Pump track

Everyone should have one of these in their yard.

6. Plai

Plai Paul Lai Skier

That reminds me... I took up a little skateboarding when I started skiing in order to train balance and forward stance. Hadn't thought of it as absorption drill, but yeah, see it now. Cool!

TheArchitect likes this.
  7. Thread Starter
    TS
    TheArchitect

Thanks guys. I'll try those things out. That skateboard park looks pretty cool.

8. Josh Matta

Josh Matta Making fresh tracks Instructor

the best way to learn flex and extend is to go find a flat a bump run and traverse keeping you upper body as quiet as possible by pro active flex and extend. Pump tracks are great for learning this as well, but ARE much harder than traversing bump field because you arent just absorbing, and extending, you have to learn to PUMP and gain speed, since they are basically impossible to pedal on.

9. LuliTheYounger

LuliTheYounger I'm just here to bother my mom Skier

"Learn to gallop horses from a bunch of wayward jockeys" is my real answer, but that might be a bit much. :rolleyes:

Failing that - I don't know if this is part of the issue, but I've noticed in a couple sports that a lot of people struggle with shock absorption because they're uncomfortable getting in/out of a squat when they're moving. Sometimes it's purely the muscle strength, sometimes it's keeping their balance fore/aft while they squat, sometimes they can do the first two but they're just mentally freaked out by doing it at speed. A lot of people are totally capable of the same motion on dry ground but absolutely lose it in motion for whatever reason.

If that is part of the issue, doing squats on a balance board and on skates has really helped me solidify the muscle memory a bit more. I think I started out with just unweighted holds, and then worked up to doing random variations like doing it on one foot, adding weights, moving my upper body & arms to try to shake myself out of alignment, and just testing how fast I can get up & down in different variations without losing it.

skix, TheArchitect and Jerez like this.
  10. mister moose

mister moose Instigator Skier

When I first started trying this, I was late. Someone told me to actively suck up my feet, and I found this worked better (for me at least). If you wait for the bump or roller to push your feet up, and you wait for that to happen, you miss most of the absorption. For me, pro active absorption works better than passive absorption.

Jerez, Chris V. and KingGrump like this.
  11. Bad Bob

Bad Bob old n' slow Skier

Home with 'Children of the Sun' in the PNW
    A BOSU ball laid flat side down.
    Go side to side keeping your head level and hands in front of you for a couple of minutes and you just had a pretty good bump run.
    Note to self, must get a new BOSU ball to replace the one the dog chewed.

Novaloafah and TheArchitect like this.
  12. Thread Starter
    TS
    TheArchitect

I even have a Bosu ball at home!

13. Novaloafah

Novaloafah Should've paid attention to that lesson. Skier

Bosu are great. I got into it because a physio had me using it to rehab an MCL. I do squats on it (flat side down) turning torso left then right with hands out front. one leg balancing holding still, side jumps. Never thought how it could be used for bump training cuz I rarely see bumps, but it makes perfect sense to me.

14. John Nedzel

John Nedzel Booting up Skier

Depth drops, at least I think that's what they are called. Step up into a plyo box, drop off, land on both feet as softly and quietly as possible. Start with a low box. Work to taller boxes.

DavidSkis, CalG and TheArchitect like this.
  15. Wilhelmson

Wilhelmson Out on the slopes Skier

With this weather you could make a flume off your roof and waterski down it. Or other stuff like ski boot base jumps off your deck, run into the garage door, ride your bike or skateboard into a curb.

People at the Weston ski track train on skis on wheels - that could get very ugly. For me I would have to put a chair on roller skates to mimic crashing into objects while in the backseat position; I think it would train me to get upright to brace for the impact.

16. Beartown

Beartown Chasing the dragon Skier

reACT trainer. Not sure if they still make them, but my local gym has one.

LiquidFeet likes this.
  17. Thread Starter
    TS
    TheArchitect

That’s pretty cool but it don’t know if that’s a real option. I’ve never seen one in a gym around here

18. T-Square

T-Square Terry Moderator Instructor

A Skier’s Edge can help.

Practice keeping your hips at the same level. Great for learning the feeling of the cross under move too.

TheArchitect and KingGrump like this.
  19. skix

skix Getting on the lift Skier

Dryland training? You could try doing it like Jonny Moseley back in the day ...

20. KingGrump

KingGrump Most Interesting Man In The World Team Gathermeister

The Skier's Edge machine is a good way to learn A&E.
    A step from that set up is to swap out the that platform for a mogul/powder platform.

TheArchitect likes this.