• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
The complete lack of tracks in a very inviting area should have told me something.

Absence of ropes in Japan, and just about anywhere outside the U.S.A., is meaningless. You’re lucky.

Nice reports

TS
Eleeski

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
This is a travel day. Sort of. No skiing as the skis were left in the Osaka airport hotel luggage check. We are off to Universal Studios Japan to watch our son perform in the Waterworld show there. Staying at the airport hotel was super convenient. Steps from baggage claim so we could get to sleep at a reasonable time. Steps from the train so he could make it to work on time.

The train ride was an adventure. Three changes at rush hour carrying his giant ski bag and backpack. Paying for the tickets with our dwindling supply of coins and small bills. Squeezed in the train tighter than in a full ski tram at Chamonix (skiing connection). Separated in the moving mass of humanity - fortunately the ski bag stuck up above the crowd. Now I know why tour guides have that flag on a tall pole. It's a scary and helpless feeling to be lost, illiterate, broke, unable to communicate, no cell phone and squished by too many random people. I didn't panic and found them after a couple scary minutes.

Visited his apartment and grabbed a quick cup of coffee from an expat coffee shop (actually he was from Canada and the clients were Aussies) and took a small ferry across to Universal Studios Japan. He rushed off to work and we toured the park. The Jaws boat tour jokes were lost on us - we needed a translator ear buds. The flying dinosaur ride looked fun but we didn't have 2 hours for the line. It was worse than a KT opening line on a powder day (another skiing connection). We went to the Waterworld show.

We've seen his show in LA. This was just as well done. Great stunts, physical jokes that transcended the language barrier, lots of pyro and a flawless execution made it the best attraction there. Fun to see him in a different role.

We had time for a quick lunch with him before he sent us back to the airport on a bus. No changes but a lot of stops. We foolishly believed the internet and stayed on the bus to the wrong terminal. The inter airport shuttle solved that mistake and we still had enough time to catch our flight.

Until the check in attendant pulled us out of the security line. Our bags were oversized. Duh, they are skis. But skis are specifically allowed. I showed her the policy for skis downloaded to the phone and she let us go to the plane.

I passed up my obligatory visit to the embassy (McDonald's) the couple times I passed one earlier because I knew there was one in the airport. But through security and at the end of the monorail line yielded slim pickings for treats and no McDonald's. I will have to go back. Given the snow quality, that's a certainty!

Eric

Sponsor

Staff online